Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Funny, I did even earlier when I started to see fewer F seats on 319/320 when EC came in and the 9-12 on CRJ 700/900.

But we brought some of this on as well. Those of us from the Save SkyMiles days tried to warn of the death by a thousand cuts when it started but we got the DM vs. PM vs. super-secret DM wars here and nobody banded together which is what Delta obviously wanted. Now there are fewer choices. So I have been less willing to participate, to get involved because it was very frustrating to be beat up on by people who didn't get that they were on the chopping block next.
If it makes you feel better, I doubt banding together would have had much of an impact. The world now, especially the aviation world, is radically different than it was in the 2003 days of Save Sky Miles.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
So, just to make sure I understand this-is Delta basically saying that for Medallions to be eligible for a domestic F upgrade, they must be TICKETED in Comfort+? That is how I read this.

So essentially the implementation of C+ as a booking class means we have a new class and you are not going to get double upgraded, meaning your options are either Coach with an upgrade to Coach+ or Coach+ with a chance of an upgrade to domestic F?

Is that correct?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
This change strikes me as in incredibly bad faith. Six weeks prior to the end of the year when most folks have their status locked in already? Really poor form DL - I've defended you on a number of fronts but no longer; this is shady.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:12 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by huskerchad
There would be no purpose to putting DM/PM through this upgrade scenario if they intended for upgrade inventory to equal seat availability.
Bingo. Plus DL had a lot of empty middle seats in C+. If you read the fine print you may get "upgraded" to a middle seat. This suggests that DL plans to stick "upgrades" in the middle whenever possible.

Maybe when a big guy like me starts sitting in the middle ........
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:14 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
This change strikes me as in incredibly bad faith. Six weeks prior to the end of the year when most folks have their status locked in already? Really poor form DL - I've defended you on a number of fronts but no longer; this is shady.
It is. And your feelings are legitimate. But to Richard Anderson and crew, they already calculated there would be unhappy people and thus really do not care.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
So, just to make sure I understand this-is Delta basically saying that for Medallions to be eligible for a domestic F upgrade, they must be TICKETED in Comfort+? That is how I read this.

So essentially the implementation of C+ as a booking class means we have a new class and you are not going to get double upgraded, meaning your options are either Coach with an upgrade to Coach+ or Coach+ with a chance of an upgrade to domestic F?

Is that correct?
No. Medallion upgrades to the premium cabin remain unchanged.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:24 am

I've enjoyed platinum status over the last year or so, but about half my travel is with my companion. The confirmed C+ at booking for both of us was one of the biggest perks of platinum for me given I knew a companion F upgrade was highly unlikely.

There is no way I'm sold on getting "upgraded" to a middle seat either. Total bs.

Looks like I'll be booking with the airline with the best schedule and lowest C+/F equivalent fares prospectively. Oh well, like others have said, delta planned for some unhappy customers and figured it was worth it. I'm one of them.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by CMK10
If it makes you feel better, I doubt banding together would have had much of an impact. The world now, especially the aviation world, is radically different than it was in the 2003 days of Save Sky Miles.
The environment is different, but the truck at the shareholder's meeting was a stroke of genius. I think a similar stunt today would still generate a lot of attention and maybe some good results.

David
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The environment is different, but the truck at the shareholder's meeting was a stroke of genius. I think a similar stunt today would still generate a lot of attention and maybe some good results.

David
But it may be way too late. The SSM had an issue and traction plus people came together. Now DL is benefitting from a long-term "divide and conquer" and "death by a thousand cuts" strategy.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
No. Medallion upgrades to the premium cabin remain unchanged.
Except that in the couple test bookings I did, when the system presumably attempted (and failed) to process an 'upgrade' to C+, it also removed my seat assignment and request for medallion upgrade to F.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
So many questions...How will be the upgrade hacking order to F between someone who bought an "W" fare Y+ seat and another medallion ( same status of course ) who bought lets say an "M" fare? As DL puts "W" above Y/B/M in their mileage chart someone on a "W" fare trumps all other Eco fares?
What about having an AF or AZ ticket in "W", the real TATL premium Economy class and one has an domestic connection on the same ticket? Will that put me in DL Y+ automaticly and will i recieve the 150% MQM's for all portions of the ticket?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Any truth to the rumors about Gold's and Silver's getting a certain amount of Upgrade Certificates to use so that we don't have to wait for the window? Like 4 for Golds and 2 for Silvers?

I heard about this last week, but nothing since the announcement came out.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Any truth to the rumors about Gold's and Silver's getting a certain amount of Upgrade Certificates to use so that we don't have to wait for the window? Like 4 for Golds and 2 for Silvers?

I heard about this last week, but nothing since the announcement came out.
Not likely. Wouldn't be surprised to see it as a new choice benefit for PM/DM.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by WWads
So is the rumor that FOs and GMs would get C+ upgrade certificates false then? I'm assuming so, since there was no mention of it from any official sources.
Anyone know anything more about this?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by huskerchad
There would be no purpose to putting DM/PM through this upgrade scenario if they intended for upgrade inventory to equal seat availability.
However, I believe that C+ must be a separate fare class in order to do (dynamic) revenue management on the C+ seat fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.