Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
so does this mean the only UPGs to FC can come from C+ and reg economy can only UPG to C+?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by huskerchad
There would be no purpose to putting DM/PM through this upgrade scenario if they intended for upgrade inventory to equal seat availability.
I think they will withhold C+ inventory. I'm sure they have very good modeling of how many C+ seats they can sell per route, departure & aircraft type. They will gradually start withholding C+ upgrades till they reach that modeled number. I say gradually because at first they will want the system to work close to how it has been, but 'upgrades' will become hard to get on favored routes.

I think DL is also doing this, as the FAQ points out, to align C+ upgrades with F upgrades, meaning that DM and PM (or even GM) traveling with general members or FOs get dragged far down the list.

Smart PMs will gift their most frequent travel companion with GM so that at least the two of them can (potentially) clear at T-72 and get a jump on the FOs. I absolutely think the old policy of 8 companions was nuts. But the new clear-at-lowest status is carefully calculated by DL to make free-spenders just buy up to avoid embarrassment with the spouse, as well as to protect some C+ inventory for late-booking PMs and DMs.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
The real loss here for PM / DM is the companion C+ access. Sitting with your companion becomes a roulette wheel at T-24 when trying to find 2 C+ seats together. Or obviously, just suck it up and sit in the back by selecting 2 E- seats together at booking.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BenA
Got the e-mail, which was very carefully worded to not mention the companion changes. Pretty sleazy to not even announce the biggest part of this devaluation; it means that people will be discovering the change gradually and the front line employees are going to be putting up with a lot of hassle from customers discovering this over time.
I also think it's pretty sleazy to start the email out as "same great experience" It is not the same great experience if C+ seats are available but you can't book them for free anymore. And a "great" experience to have a couple more inches of legroom. Well also a free drink but that is something American gives all their top elites anyway.

I don't understand how Delta can justify in the email saying this makes the experience easier. In the past you just clicked on the seat you wanted on the seat map. If you wanted EC and a seat was free you clicked on it, now you have to go through a couple extra steps and if it's not available either click on the upgrade box and pray you don't get a middle seat or just keep checking back online or calling Delta to see if inventory has opened up.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW
I think DL is also doing this, as the FAQ points out, to align C+ upgrades with F upgrades, meaning that DM and PM (or even GM) traveling with general members or FOs get dragged far down the list.

Smart PMs will gift their most frequent travel companion with GM so that at least the two of them can (potentially) clear at T-72 and get a jump on the FOs. I absolutely think the old policy of 8 companions was nuts. But the new clear-at-lowest status is carefully calculated by DL to make free-spenders just buy up to avoid embarrassment with the spouse, as well as to protect some C+ inventory for late-booking PMs and DMs.
I agree 8 was crazy, but you should at least be able to book one companion with you in E+. We all know when a General Member is on the upgrade list, the chances of clearing are very close to zero unless an exclusively leisure route... If the same holds true for E+, why even have a companion benefit at all?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Just received a response to the email I sent Saturday afternoon complaining about the changes.

I love how they leave out the part that the one companion won't upgrade until t-24 and I almost lost it when I read the part that they try to be competitive with the competition. None of their competitors have announced this kind of a deval.

At least they didn't use the word "future enhancements" in their response.

Dear Mr. XXX,

RE: Case Number XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting us about your Medallion benefits.

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the changes to our
Delta Comfort+™. We are truly sorry for your frustration. As you know,
for flights on or after May 16, 2016, Medallion members and one SkyMiles
member companion in the same reservation will be eligible for a
Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+. Your upgrade will be based on
your Medallion eligibility subject to Delta Comfort+ availability at
time of ticketing or anytime thereafter.

For flights prior to May 16, 2016, Medallion members and up to eight
travel companions may be eligible for complimentary Delta Comfort+
upgrades, when traveling in the same reservation.

We do try to be competitive with our competition; and your feedback
about this aspect of our service will be very helpful as we make future
decisions for our onboard amenities. We are striving to become the
global airline of choice and your comments in this area will help us
achieve this goal.

Please visit delta.com/medallion for additional Medallion information.

As always, we appreciate your loyalty.

As a Diamond Medallion member, you are an integral part of our customer
base and we are always interested in your feedback. Thank you for
taking the time to write. We deeply value your business.

Sincerely,

Kelly Green
Diamond Desk
delta.com
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I have not seen any information on this, but it appears that as part of this Comfort + change, there has been an IT cluster. On DL.com, all of my GUC and RUC waitlists have been dropped. DL says they can see them, but we cannot. Also, there are glitches in getting access to C+ seats. Booked an itin, and could get it on 3 legs, but not the 4th. DL has no idea why and are trying to fix it. Also, the DL agents are seeing a different seat map than what I can see online for certain flights.

What a mess. And just when I thought they couldn't hose us any further with how they mishandle GUCs and RUCs.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
No. Medallion upgrades to the premium cabin remain unchanged.
.....at least for now.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I have not seen any information on this, but it appears that as part of this Comfort + change, there has been an IT cluster. On DL.com, all of my GUC and RUC waitlists have been dropped. DL says they can see them, but we cannot. Also, there are glitches in getting access to C+ seats. Booked an itin, and could get it on 3 legs, but not the 4th. DL has no idea why and are trying to fix it. Also, the DL agents are seeing a different seat map than what I can see online for certain flights.

What a mess. And just when I thought they couldn't hose us any further with how they mishandle GUCs and RUCs.
I was not a able to check into my flight this morning, I was getting an error that said I did not have an e-ticket. Phone agent fixed it and I got checked in, upgrades cleared, but the record is gone in my skymiles history. Not only that I had not flow, but like I had not booked it..
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by scracer14
I was not a able to check into my flight this morning, I was getting an error that said I did not have an e-ticket. Phone agent fixed it and I got checked in, upgrades cleared, but the record is gone in my skymiles history. Not only that I had not flow, but like I had not booked it..
Wow. DL continues their spectacular incompetence.

Each one of my upgrade waitlists went from Upgrade Requested to Not Upgrade Eligible, and are not showing any indication that I am on a GUC/RUC waitlist.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
If the same holds true for E+, why even have a companion benefit at all?
Yep. Delta has acknowledged that their customer behavior modeling (and realtime experience after the last devaluation) tells them that enough customers will want to avoid the uncertainty to pay up to C+. The management gamble is that the number who pay up will be greater than the number who book away to AA, UA, Jet Blue etc.

As a shareholder, this will be interesting to watch shake out.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RaflW
I think they will withhold C+ inventory. I'm sure they have very good modeling of how many C+ seats they can sell per route, departure & aircraft type. They will gradually start withholding C+ upgrades till they reach that modeled number. I say gradually because at first they will want the system to work close to how it has been, but 'upgrades' will become hard to get on favored routes.

AFAIK DL hasn't yet done much to experiment with how much people are willing to pay for C+ seats. The C+ fees to date have been just based on distance, not availability of C+ seats on the flight, fullness of the flight in coach, coach fare levels, leisure versus business route, time of day and day of week, etc.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK DL hasn't yet done much to experiment with how much people are willing to pay for C+ seats. The C+ fees to date have been just based on distance, not availability of C+ seats on the flight, fullness of the flight in coach, coach fare levels, leisure versus business route, time of day and day of week, etc.
I'm not sure about that. I put my brother in C+ and three weeks later added my mother (separate itinerary). The fee for my mother on the exact same flight was $20 more.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... C+ fees to date have been just based on distance, not availability of C+ seats on the flight, fullness of the flight in coach, coach fare levels, leisure versus business route, time of day and day of week, etc.
not entirely ... in the past couple months I have seen several instances of SEA<-->JFK going from $109 to $119 to $125 between about T-7 days and T-3 days as the number of Y and C+ seats dwindled
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:32 pm

It appears that you have to check the Comfort + request box to get access to those seats during booking, even if you are logged in. Mrs. TrojanTraveler just made a reservation, and didn't notice the box. Had to call in to get into C+. As a DM, one would think they would pre-check the box, like they do with upgrade requested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.