Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
It appears that you have to check the Comfort + request box to get access to those seats during booking, even if you are logged in. Mrs. TrojanTraveler just made a reservation, and didn't notice the box. Had to call in to get into C+. As a DM, one would think they would pre-check the box, like they do with upgrade requested.
The ideas being thrown out there are some Medallions won't want to be upgraded to a middle C+ automatically.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
It appears that you have to check the Comfort + request box to get access to those seats during booking, even if you are logged in. Mrs. TrojanTraveler just made a reservation, and didn't notice the box. Had to call in to get into C+. As a DM, one would think they would pre-check the box, like they do with upgrade requested.
But according to the email I got this morning this is a huge enhancement over simply being able to select the seats. Because nobody would ever want to just do that.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by woodchuck
The ideas being thrown out there are some Medallions won't want to be upgraded to a middle C+ automatically.
But if you look at the seat map at booking, you can see if there is only a middle and uncheck it. Plus, even if you forget to do so and don't check the seat map and end up in the middle right after booking, you should be able to move back to a non-C+. Or have they fouled up the IT so bad (or deliberately programmed it that way) so that you can only be in C+ and you can't move into a non-C+ seat?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

I haven't tested a booking but some DM's were not able assigned C+ seats even after 24 hours. If it's unclear when it might clear, some flyers might not want to risk a middle seat in C+ instead of exit row aisle/window on a full flight.

It wouldn't be difficult to add this to a user profile similar to seat preference.

Last edited by woodchuck; Nov 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reason: actually write in english
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I had a schedule change create a tight connection, so called to ask if the first flight could get moved earlier. That happened successfully, but afterward I noticed the upgrade request on that earlier segment had disappeared. I clicked on "Request Upgrade" and checked the box etc but got an error "We are unable to process your request at this time." Phone agent had said something about the ticket needing to be re-issued, so I slept on it but still had the same problem this morning. DeltaAssist restored the upgrade request.

tl;dr keep an eagle eye out if you make any changes to itineraries.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Here's an article about Delta's plan to partition off the C+ cabin.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...=yhoo.headline

Surely they don't mean actual hard partitions.

David
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
TBH, I'm kind of surprised to learn that people are actually buying C+ in more than negligible numbers, especially on domestic routes. The upgrade is nice but I don't see it worth the cost. I figured C+ was almost entirely full of medallions who had picked seats there as a benefit.

Of course, that could also just be Delta reps making stuff up and there really aren't many Kettles/Silvers who are buying up to make sure they get those seats.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
But if you look at the seat map at booking, you can see if there is only a middle and uncheck it. Plus, even if you forget to do so and don't check the seat map and end up in the middle right after booking, you should be able to move back to a non-C+. Or have they fouled up the IT so bad (or deliberately programmed it that way) so that you can only be in C+ and you can't move into a non-C+ seat?
And what happens when the UG doesn't clear right away and goes to the gate and then the GA is just processing UGs and sends you to a middle seat? Or if the UG occurs at night, and by the time you check and realize it, your original seat has now been selected by someone else?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And what happens when the UG doesn't clear right away and goes to the gate and then the GA is just processing UGs and sends you to a middle seat? Or if the UG occurs at night, and by the time you check and realize it, your original seat has now been selected by someone else?
I was referring to at booking. So is this new system that if C+ seats are there at booking, you aren't cleared into them right away? If that's so, then that is just stupid on DL's part. Why would they deliberately make it even harder to do business with them?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:18 pm

I was referring to at booking. So is this new system that if C+ seats are there at booking, you aren't cleared into them right away? If that's so, then that is just stupid on DL's part. Why would they deliberately make it even harder to do business with them?
Reports from people test booking show that C+ seats are not available for selection during booking. If there is upgrade C+ inventory available, users go in after the fact after a seat is assigned and then can select what they want. Two steps instead of one.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
... Why would they deliberately make it even harder to do business with them?
Since you are posting on a Delta page, I assume that this question is rhetorical?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is DL we're talking about here... nothing about their IT or web interface makes it easy to do anything. Besides the fork-in-the-eye changes, you now have to jump through an extra hoop to request the C+ upgrades for your flight/segments, which does not work correctly since they obviously didn't test a thing.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:22 pm

I had not seen this thread (been offline for a few days). All my GUC and RUC waitlists have been dropped on DL.com, including those that have no dometic flights. Called and DL can see them, it's just that I can't. Confidence inspiring.

After being told that this is likely the result of a recent technology upgrade, I asked why DL would want to change what I see, from Upgrade Requested to Not Upgrade Eligible, and I was told by an agent with attitude that this is DL's information, and they have a "right to protect it". But all this is telling me is if I'm on the upgrade waitlist or not.

Sounds like DL's mgmt is successfully getting its front line to unthinkingly believe anything they are told.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by woodchuck
Reports from people test booking show that C+ seats are not available for selection during booking. If there is upgrade C+ inventory available, users go in after the fact after a seat is assigned and then can select what they want. Two steps instead of one.
Correct, except with the couple test bookings I've done, I was never actually able to select a C+ seat since something was either broken or didn't happen when the 'upgrade' to C+ occurred multiple hours after booking (clearly not within 1 hour as the website states).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:28 pm

@rylan, didn't see "within 1 hour" on the website, only saw "shortly after booking." News to me. Really, this should be real time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.