Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Where do you see this for flights from US to Europe? I can't seem to find it. I know that GM will get a 50% discount -- this is a change from complimentary to 50% off starting Jan 13.
KLM forum here on FT
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Doesn't UA give Silver's the ability to chose their version of EC+ seats at time of booking?
Nope, at OLCI (for now). But you get to pick your own seat, not get shoved into a middle as an 'upgrade.' And your companion on the PNR comes along, not having to wait till probably the GA clears you as will be the case with DL once the new 'dragged down to your companion status' rule takes place.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:04 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I sent in my complaint this morning after a test booking. The loss of C+ at booking is a big hit to DM/PMs as that was an OK consolation prize for missing an upgrade.

As someone located in the NW who travels to the mid-west/Texas my options are limited to DL and UA. While my home airport is served by AS I don't want to flight west to go back east every week.

I tried UA a few weeks ago and it was OK though I prefer Delta service, but maybe that's because it is what I am used to. Carrier agnostic seems appealing too - decisions, decisions.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by GrizShel
My upcoming transpacific trip in economy on Delta (still in delta' E+) will probably be the last ticket I buy on Delta except when they have a very cheap Business class fare. Premium economy on their Asian competitors is now clearly the best option for me when I can't afford business class.
I did this for TATL a year or two ago and am quite happy with that decision. I'm making the same change for TPAC effective the new year (and given DL's terrible TPAC partner situation, it won't be with ST airlines). I think this strategy makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with this reasoning is that while kettles will pay more fees, elite demand is less price elastic in that elites often don't even consider the prices offered by the competition. As airlines and hotel chains eliminate elite benefits, they create a regime in which everyone just shops for the lowest total price. I don't think airlines and hotels really want this to happen as they benefit greatly when elites pay more to stick with the favored brand.
Well put. I think the interesting question is (at least for the airlines) what the impact of significantly less competition is.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Ahh. We are here just enjoying all of the panties getting would up real tight in a wad and reading all the empty threats about how the 3G&G's are finally going to leave DL.
I wonder, what would DL have to do to test your blind loyalty? Strap you to the vertical stabilizer as a way of squeezing an extra body on the plane?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
One thing to wonder? I am currently PM for 2016. Will I get 2 Certs for being FO and 4 certs for being GM? Like a DM would get 4 GUC's and the PM 8 RUC's as well? if that is the case you could give the 6 certs to a companion? Just a thought?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So an update... approx 20 min after my test booking, the first segment status changed from 'manage upgrades' to 'request upgrade' (it none selected) and my Y- seat assignment was gone, with 'select seat' appearing instead. I could still not select a C+ seat, with an error about only being able to select seats that correspond with my purchased fare. Return segment still has the C+ request in with no change.

This is almost 2hrs after original booking.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with this reasoning is that while kettles will pay more fees, elite demand is less price elastic in that elites often don't even consider the prices offered by the competition. As airlines and hotel chains eliminate elite benefits, they create a regime in which everyone just shops for the lowest total price. I don't think airlines and hotels really want this to happen as they benefit greatly when elites pay more to stick with the favored brand.
Another way to look at this is: Elites pay for the benefits they desire (that they used to receive as part of a loyalty package) by a la carte pricing. Absolute lowest price isn't the end result. Absolute lowest price for "the stuff I want" ends up as the result. For the true frequent flyer I would think costs go up, but it is spread out across several competitors instead of one supplier. I'm surprised this works out to the benefit of the airline.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
I’ve been following this thread since its inception and all I can say is that you guys sound like a bunch of entitled brats.
Do you really believe that the purpose of C+ and F is to thank elites for their loyalty? If yes, than perhaps Delta is indeed not an airline for you. You might as well move to United where GS with economy ticket can flex their muscle and kick out non-elite member who paid for F from F; where elites who get free upgrade to F get their meal preference over the non-elite customers who actually paid for F. The caveat though that you will have fun participating in such FT threads as “Domestic flights cancelled this year” and “International flights cancelled this year”.

You are focusing on the wrong thing. While the latest changes are a definite de-evaluation of skymiles program, the changes affect everyone including those to whom you so affectionately refer as “kettles”. From what I understand, the new fare code would work like one of those GAP fares where people think they bought F, but in reality they bought Y with immediate upgrade to F. So, with the new C+ changes, when people will pay for C+, they will still be paying for C- with immediate upgrade to C+. In the event of IRROPs or equipment change, people will be delegated to C-. However, while in the past in similar situation you could at least call and receive the refund, with the announced changes you most likely will be SOL.
And most likely, those who have to book their corporate travel through Concur have to buy the lowest logical fare will not be able to buy up to W after the purchase (if they want to), just like they could not buy up to F in the past.

Another change is that now everyone on your PNR has to buy up/be upgraded to W, which was not true before the changes. Families/groups might want to stay on the same PNR, but do not necessarily feel like buying up C+ for every member of their group.

Why is no one talking about any of these issues?

If you want to be upset with Delta, why are not upset about it ballooning its medallion member size by allowing getting status with (virtually) no flying or obtaining MQD waiver via AMEX spent? Instead you are upset that Delta restricted access to seats that you don’t consider worth paying for and only want if they are free. The truth of the matter is that Delta does not prevent you from flying C+ (or F) if you so desire. If you really like that product then you should be willing to pay for it. And if you don’t, there are plenty of kettles, and apparently FOs and GMs, who want to feel a bit more comfortable during their travels and are willing to pay for the experience.

P.S. As a matter of full disclosure, I am a newly minted GM who achieved status with AMEX delta MQMs and actual flying (would have been FO without AMEX). I admit, I play the game like the rest of you and I take advantage of every benefit available to me, however limited. Like the rest of you I do not like the changes. However, unlike most of you, I have no plans to leave Delta. I am planning to take advantage of Delta’s best on time performance when I fly. I am looking forward to the days when you will make good on your promise to take your business elsewhere and I don’t have to board sky-priority with half of the plane or enjoy an occasional upgrade. Actually, scratch the last one. I am not holding my breath.
The purpose of everything Delta does is to make money.

One of the ways Delta makes money is by encouraging people to buy tickets on Delta even when they cost more, or the flights are at less convenient times, etc. They do that for people who buy a (relatively) lot of tickets on Delta.

They are now providing a heck of a lot less encouragement for those people to buy tickets on Delta, removing benefits of the potentially-purchased tickets, and removing potential benefits from later flights (thus removing value from earning MQMs on those tickets). That will cause there to be fewer ticket purchases on Delta.

For example, the last two years I bought a number of FCM NYC-BOS tickets for flexibility and MQM earnings. If this change sticks, I will no longer care about MQMs, and the balance will tip to Amtrak.

Someone who earns status with little flying doesn't matter; he seldom gets to use that status.

So enjoy your empty SKY boarding while Delta cancels flights because it isn't selling so many tickets any more.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
The purpose of everything Delta does is to make money.

One of the ways Delta makes money is by encouraging people to buy tickets on Delta even when they cost more, or the flights are at less convenient times, etc. They do that for people who buy a (relatively) lot of tickets on Delta.

They are now providing a heck of a lot less encouragement for those people to buy tickets on Delta, removing benefits of the potentially-purchased tickets, and removing potential benefits from later flights (thus removing value from earning MQMs on those tickets). That will cause there to be fewer ticket purchases on Delta.

For example, the last two years I bought a number of FCM NYC-BOS tickets for flexibility and MQM earnings. If this change sticks, I will no longer care about MQMs, and the balance will tip to Amtrak.

Someone who earns status with little flying doesn't matter; he seldom gets to use that status.

So enjoy your empty SKY boarding while Delta cancels flights because it isn't selling so many tickets any more.
.um.....yeah.....that'll happen. LOL. The naysayers keep whining and the profits keep growing.

Next downturn, triple miles and manufactured status will bring most of them back. Get rid of pseudo-elites, fee the hell out of them, bribe them back if you need to in the future.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
True Blue for me. Free WIFI. Delta doesn't even offer that to F/D1 pax.
Who are you and what have you done with DL2SXM . (Seriously though, you will LOVE Mint for your transcons--beats D1 by a large margin).

Last edited by BamaGirl; Nov 16, 2015 at 2:05 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't think they'll be offering incentives to get people back when there is a downturn. Airlines will use that as another excuse to cut benefits.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
I don't think they'll be offering incentives to get people back when there is a downturn. Airlines will use that as another excuse to cut benefits.

...to run to the government crying, and demanding bailouts.

Fixed that for ya!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EVA777
Understand and completely agree. I posted a REAL PE summary a few pages back. The Delta C+ model as it is today is a joke.

I was just trying to understand how someone can blindly say real PE is 2x the cheapest coach fare based on 1 flight example.
Can you imagine, someone flying from Europe on AF PE connecting to a C+ DL flight expecting a real PE product? That person would be furious.
I seriously doubt the European courts (ticket issued in Europe) would go along with this fraud.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hey there "Diamondintherough" (though that remains to be determined). Read the thread. People (whom you generously refer to as "brats") have discussed, in great detail, all of the issues that you seem to think you are the first to discover.
Since I don't live for approval of virtual strangers, I'll ignore your thinly veiled attempt to insinuate that I am not worthy of a diamond status and simply point out that I never claimed that I discovered the issues I mentioned in my post. However, while these issues have been mentioned here and there throughout the thread, most of the discussion is focused on the loss of automatic upgrades into the C+ seat of choice and/or loss of free companion benefits. If I were you, I would heed your own advice and re-read the thread again. You might surprise me and come to the same conclusion.

And while calling most of the posters here brats was not very nice of me, in my defense a) I was returning a favor to another poster who called my kids sitting in paid C+ brats; and b) as English is not my first language, my limited vocabulary prevented me from using a more appropriate word to describe them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.