Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
The original article posted has been updated to say no chances AT THIS TIME for DM's and PM's ...
I really, really hope the actual language is "no changes at this time"
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
How does this affect C+ availability for DM/PM ? Before, kettles could buy a LUT fare and pay the fee to upgrade, now they will buy a W fare directly. I think this actually will discourage them, since psychologically it is easier to buy a low cost fare and upgradefor a fee then pass on the cheper fares and buy a more expensive one.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Furthermore now Comfort Plus will become a W fare class the consequences for
a) AF/KL plats trying to book a free EC seat on a DL operated flight
Any information about that?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm sure UA already knows what is coming and has their 'response' (ie copycat) ready to be announced in a week or two.
http://https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/products/subscriptions/economyPlus.aspx

UA may actually be (gasp) innovating in the way they're selling E+ seats in fare bundles and offering subscription to E+ for the year... Might DL actually follow UA on something?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
As an aside, if we lose the benefit (which DL will eventually only offer for free to DM/PM of getting to make fun of UA for copying DL then we truly have lost all worthwhile remaining benefits of being a Delta FF ;-)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm sure UA already knows what is coming and has their 'response' (ie copycat) ready to be announced in a week or two.
Agreed though given the significance of the bennies in C+ vs. E+ and the relative limitation on seats that is going to be a hard sell for Munoz.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
People pay for $100 or more for Economy Plus seats in UA all the time and get nothing but 4-5 Inches of legroom.
But if you pay less than $100 for a Plus seat on WS (a DL partner) you get more legroom, more recline, and a blocked middle seat (with a console on it), plus free IFE (tablet), and unlimited food and drinks (anything you want from the food and snacks menu, however many times and things you want).

That is the way to do it if doing it as a separate fare class, as WS does with its Plus fares. (But DL is too cheap to do it so properly, and this would then make the Y+ product better than domestic F in some ways.)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Real Premium Economy would have different and wider seats, not just a couple inches more pitch.
Or at least blocked middle seat (which is a cheaper and more effective way to do it, and provides a better experience for the pax).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The only carrier I know of that sells this type of product (same seats with more pitch and amenities) as a different fare class is VX.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The only carrier I know of that sells this type of product (same seats with more pitch and amenities) as a different fare class is VX.
Hopefully DL will not follow VX's pricing model since VX's Main Cabin Select is often 2x or more the lowest coach fare.

That being said, I believe VX's product is limited to the bulkhead and one emergency exit row, so they have less inventory to sell.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
True. On VX MCS however, legroom is significantly increased (38" pitch) over economy and actual food (sandwiches, salads, cold plates) is available in addition to complimentary snacks.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
Would make sense to merge your threat with the same from the folks on AA & UA who say the same thing.

I believe that DL sees SM as a secondary program now. HVC's come from international J / paid domestic F and large corporate accounts where substantial discounts make DL good value.

DL believes that it can compete on convenience / product / price and doesn't need to sweeten the pot the way it did back during the financial crisis.
DL didn't sweeten the pot for customers during the financial crisis. Rather that "crisis" was just another opportunity for DL to cut further the benefits DL SkyMiles customers got out of the program.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:29 pm

Any Reported Changes Regarding Companions on Same Record?

Does anyone have reliable information, on whether PM"s & DM's will still be able to select C + for companions when booking a reservation?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Does anyone have reliable information, on whether PM"s & DM's will still be able to select C + for companions when booking a reservation?
This is going to be the rub, my guess. Right now, you can use self help and just click on the seating chart to get C+ seats. If it's treated as a different fare class, then you'll need an agent to do it for you. Here's where DL gets to control inventory.

Right now, you can use RUC/GUCs for the medallion member and only one companion. So even if I have 4 certificates and a family of 4, I'm SOL. Substitute EC+ for the above. Or substitute work colleagues traveling together for family.

Last edited by flyerwma; Nov 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Or say you are a DM or PM, you book a flight and there are 2 C+ seats left, but no WU available so you can't select those seats... since DL thinks they can sell them to somebody else instead of let you have them for free. Sound familiar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.