Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
If one looks at the MQD/MQM ratio it went from 1 cpm to 1.2 cpm. My average for the year is around 3 cpm. And I am typically buying the cheapest coach fares available at the time. I am over the MQD threshold but not the MQM threshold. So no impact for me.

And given on my last flight the gate lice were the elites some thinning is needed cause at this point there no is elite at the boarding gate.
You seem to have a decimal point wrong. $2500 for 25,000 MQM is ten cents per mile, not one, and the new rates average to twelve cents per MQM, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:05 am

I opened the email this morning and had a good laugh. It's like Delta wrote the headline by copy/pasting so many FlyerTalk comments.

"When everyone's an elite flyer, no one is."
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Just got the email

THE MORE EXCLUSIVE 2016 SKYMILES MEDALLION PROGRAM.

Let's face it. When you spend a lot of time and money with us, you should enjoy our top-of-the-line benefits, such as complimentary access to Economy Comfort™ seats, Preferred Seats, and Sky Priority® services.

That's why we're adjusting the 2016 Medallion® Qualification Dollars (MQDs) thresholds to add even more exclusivity to the SkyMiles Medallion program.*

And we won't stop there. We're working hard to bring you our very best — check out our new premium Delta Sky Club® menu and industry-leading complimentary Delta Studio™ entertainment — as you jet around the globe.

SEE THE NEW THRESHOLDS >
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCJ View Post
And my counter is why shouldn't they? I'm over 240,000 MQMs and $85,000 MQDs with only about 50 segments yet I'm in the same upgrade pool when I fly domestic. The airline nets way more off me than someone flying cheap, multi segment flights simply to build up MQSs and achieve DM status. IMO they need to increase the limits further.

Please explain why this all matters to you? With over 240k MQMs and $85k MQDs you're a solid Diamond. Are you not 360?

With that kind of spend, why are you worrrying about an upgrade pool for domestic flights? Are you not at least purchasing Y Fares, if not Business/First class flights domestically? I mean $85k!!!

Something is off here. If you are traveling on business, your company (even if it's a company that you own), really needs to conduct a thorough assessment of its travel policies. If I were in your situation, I would probably conduct a thorough assessment of my life in general.

Last edited by kelvinj; Oct 10, 2014 at 9:29 am
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I opened the email this morning and had a good laugh. It's like Delta wrote the headline by copy/pasting so many FlyerTalk comments.

"When everyone's an elite flyer, no one is."
Actually, I think they stole that line from bubbashow. He's only said it about a thousand times here.

Not that this change will seriously affect the number of elites anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
From the e-mail:

"THE MORE EXCLUSIVE 2016 SKYMILES MEDALLION PROGRAM.
Let's face it. When you spend a lot of time and money with us, you should enjoy our top-of-the-line benefits, such as complimentary access to Economy Comfort™ seats, Preferred Seats, and Sky Priority® services."

Notice no mention of UPGRADES as a "top-of-the-line benefit."
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Wow. If I was already dropping $180K+ on Reserve cards – and could drop another $150K+ on Plat cards – I wouldn’t even think about status. With that kind of $$$$ spend, seems far more beneficial to just fly F/J and put those points toward something else rather than chase second tier status, no?
That is not what they are targeting. They are looking at the 70K/yr consultant who isn't reaching into their pocket but will reap the rewards.

I was that guy 15 yrs ago in the glory years of having status (went 5 yrs straight flying in F 100% while paying cheap Y fares).
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Wow. If I was already dropping $180K+ on Reserve cards – and could drop another $150K+ on Plat cards – I wouldn’t even think about status. With that kind of $$$$ spend, seems far more beneficial to just fly F/J and put those points toward something else rather than chase second tier status, no?
We put everything business and personal on cards, so it's not as much discretionary spending as it might appear. Plus the miles we get allow our kids to fly free every time they fly, so there isn't much motivation to do anything different. We get a ton of stuff from Delta out of the deal. It's a win win deal all the way around.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
As someone that is not currently flying a lot for work AND for a company that expects early booking as much as possible--Delta in insuring that I have no incentive to fly them with any exclusivity (After about a 4 year stretch as DM or PM). I still do spend upwards of $5K on flights per year between business and personal, but apparently that doesnt count for squat.

Just waiting for the reports to come out of people getting fired for playing with their companies money to hit MQD targets.

With the type of work I do, I expect my travel will cycle up again and thanks to Delta squeezing me here, I will be a free agent in the future.

Reserve Amex is getting boot as soon as I hit $30K this year, already used my companion ticket. Onto something like the Barcalys card or similar.

Last edited by danspartan; Oct 10, 2014 at 9:28 am
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:15 am

THE MORE EXCLUSIVE 2016 SKYMILES MEDALLION PROGRAM.

Let's face it. When you spend a lot of time and money with us, you should enjoy our top-of-the-line benefits, such as complimentary access to Economy Comfort™ seats, Preferred Seats, and Sky Priority® services.

That's why we're adjusting the 2016 Medallion® Qualification Dollars (MQDs) thresholds to add even more exclusivity to the SkyMiles Medallion program.*

And we won't stop there. We're working hard to bring you our very best — check out our new premium Delta Sky Club® menu and industry-leading complimentary Delta Studio™ entertainment — as you jet around the globe.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by MLCJ
And my counter is why shouldn't they? I'm over 240,000 MQMs and $85,000 MQDs with only about 50 segments yet I'm in the same upgrade pool when I fly domestic. The airline nets way more off me than someone flying cheap, multi segment flights simply to build up MQSs and achieve DM status. IMO they need to increase the limits further.
I agree. As someone who flies paid First and Business, the limits should be increased to Want First, Buy First.

Kudos to Delta for working hard to kill the elite upgrade mentality. Yes, Delta should take care of their very best customers, as all businesses should. An occasional upgrade should be considered, by everyone, a nice gesture of thanks for your business. The current system of diamonds acting like rent-a-gate-agents onboard checking everyone's boarding pass and status and worrying if anyone "got the upgrade" who shouldn't have is OUT OF CONTROL.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I can never understand those who are "proud" they over-spend. Especially any that it is on their own dime, When I am eating the cost the price is important to me. But I guess the OPM folks can drive their 2005 Subraru to the airport and sit in F for a couple of hours and feel important.
I resent your characterization here, I don't drive a 2005 Subaru, I drive a 2014 Cadillac!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Among other things this move is definitely aimed at getting people to use the DL Amex.

I think they also want to trim benefits and expenses for higher tier elites. Other than being able to select preferred seats I have no idea why anyone would strive to reach SM.

What we're seeing across the board is what happens when airlines are profitable. When the times are good they give travelers the finger. When they're hurting they beg us to fly. I've had FA's tell me in the past that high tier FF's are a big part of DL's profitability. I wonder if baggage fees and other things have made us less important.
This! This! This!

I cannot wait until times get hard again. When times were hard in the past, Delta's service was phenomenal. FAs were worried about their jobs and acted like they cared about what they were doing. But, no worries. This industry has more ups and downs than any rollercoaster at your favorite amusement park, and airline executives have a habit of screwing things up. So, I hope Delta enjoys this ride while it can. Soon, they will be running back to customers on bended knee with proposals of a lifetime.

One more thing: If I were a business client and my contracted help (i.e., Attorneys, Consultants, Accountants, etc.) were wasting my money helping their employees maintain elite status, I would find a new Service Provider. Business leaders really need to rethink their company travel plans. While it's nice for business entities to have lax rules that essentially allow their employees to pay higher fares (and support Delta's bottom line), they also need to focus on their own profit margins.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Delta getting cocky. Announcing it 14.5 Months before it's going in effect. They must be doing well.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
...I wonder how much the upper ranks will thin out next year due to the 1st round of changes, and how much more it will thin out in 2016 due to the latest announced changes?
The alternate questions is, how many in the upper ranks will be driven to AMEX, so that they do not become part of the ranks thinning?

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
Well, at least they finally said it clearly...

"when everyone's an elite flyer, no one is"
Originally Posted by akcae
Exclusivity -- please, give me a break.

Exclusivity, except for all those who put $25K on their Amex. Or live in NYC/SEA and get the "fly twice get Gold" promo or the "2x MQMs" promo...
To paraphrase Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and... advertising."

Yes, they are going to create a higher hurdle to earning and maintaining elite membership for those working within the rules, but they are going to continue bypassing the rules with "buy an BE ticket and be elite for a year" promos.

Originally Posted by motytrah
Sounds like something they cribbed directly from a FT thread.
If I thought they were seriously trying to trim PM and DM ranks (and I don't, for a moment, believe that this is their true motivation) then I could almost envision that Bubba had somehow gotten through to them.

What is surprising is the lack of "We only did this because so many of you asked for it" blame-shifting.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Gosh I detest Delta's marketing spin, trying to make it sound like now were even better off with the increased MQD thresholds.
Almost Orwellian. Not as bad as "“War is peace... Freedom is slavery... Ignorance is strength” but evocative of the same "if we say something long enough, you'll come to believe it" attitude. As in "We have your back."

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Is everyone this confident they won't axe rollover at some point?
Second year rollover (as in carrying 2014 miles into 2016) has to end eventually. This was one of the unintended consequences that Va Ave just didn't see coming.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The update also notes that the 2015 Medallion year will end on January 31, 2016 instead of February 28.
Never miss an opportunity to finesses a benefit de-hancement under the cover of more sensational news.

I looked for this. Where is it posted?

How is this going to play with the standard "credits may take 6 to 8 weeks to post to your account" disclaimer that comes with each partner MQM bonus promo?

[I was going to quote the exact language from the current Hilton promo, but when I went to my registered promo page on DL.dumb and clicked on the link, I got the message "This promotion is not active." Gotta love DL IT.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.