Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HongKonger
None of the above. DL would like MORE elites, not fewer, they just want each one to have spent more to get there. They know many people will spend extra to remain elite.
I agree that they want more PMs and DMs, for the reasons I suggested.

But I still suggest that there is not a lot of interest in keeping FOs (and possibly GMs) if they FOs and GMs are just going to park themselves at those levels.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
Well, at least they finally said it clearly...

"when everyone's an elite flyer, no one is"
I laughed out loud when I opened this email this morning.

And people say that DL doesn't read and take cues from FT...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM
The New Business Model

This business model will put Delta ahead of the pack should others choose to not follow lockstep. They are providing an incentive to use the heck out of Amex, and it's working for my wife and me. We have three Reserves, so that's $450 times three every year for Delta to share with Amex along with 90,000 MQM's to divide between us. I fly once a month, and she flies once every month or two. I'm Platinum, and she will go from no status to Platinum between March and December of this year. If necessary, we can always get up to three Platinum cards to supplement the MQM's to maintain PM status going forward regardless of how much we fly. I've sat at the front of the bus about 90% of the time as a PM, not to mention the SC; free bags; RUC's; SkyBonus; and Sky Priority that comes with status.

The deal is simple. Delta profits from us whether we step on a plane or not. In fact, the less we fly, the more seats available for sale are there for Delta. They would be just as well off if we piled on the Amex usage and flew twice a year at PM status. This is a genius business model and will build the new kind of loyalty that airlines need to be profitable.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Among other things this move is definitely aimed at getting people to use the DL Amex.

I think they also want to trim benefits and expenses for higher tier elites. Other than being able to select preferred seats I have no idea why anyone would strive to reach SM.

What we're seeing across the board is what happens when airlines are profitable. When the times are good they give travelers the finger. When they're hurting they beg us to fly. I've had FA's tell me in the past that high tier FF's are a big part of DL's profitability. I wonder if baggage fees and other things have made us less important.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta, United
If one looks at the MQD/MQM ratio it went from 10 cpm to 12 cpm. My average for the year is around 30 cpm. And I am typically buying the cheapest coach fares available at the time. I am over the MQD threshold but not the MQM threshold. So no impact for me.

And given on my last flight the gate lice were the elites some thinning is needed cause at this point there no is elite at the boarding gate.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 10, 2014 at 10:29 am Reason: decimal point error
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The update also notes that the 2015 Medallion year will end on January 31, 2016 instead of February 28.
Yet another obvious enhancement!

They dropped the "U.S. based" clause from the 2016 MQD thresholds. Does it mean they will apply to everybody, or they just forgot ?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta PM
I always thought the levels were far too low, but maybe it's just because of my ownt ravel.

Since I'm stuck paying (out of personal dollars) $350-$375 a week for short distance flights (270 miles), I'm fine with these moves and all for thinning out ranks...I also tend to book last minute, expensive refundable fares for client travel so I benefit on both ends. I'm one of the few people who will seem to get more miles out of all of this stuff...
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
Well, at least they finally said it clearly...

"when everyone's an elite flyer, no one is"
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
I would like to take a moment out here to mention that I have posted many times in the last months to point out that as a overseas resident that going to the 1 for 11 was killing me. I will have 200k MQM and only 125k actual and that sucks. I was told here many many many times that the 1/11 is good for them so I am just out of luck. I would now mention that as the MQD's go up and that it affects me zero that others now seem to be sharing my pain, delta just got me first. For those that told me "too bad so sad" I would like to remind them, a cut in any benefit to any member is a BAD thing! just cause it was not them this time does not mean it wont be them next time. To the people that say "good, thin the heard, I don't care I use my Amex, well done Delta" I remind you that you might that far removed from the chopping block.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Company paid/client paid, or Personal paid?
That has been what I don't understand all along. I get that these people who gloat over spending insane amounts of OPM are more profitable for DL. However, how is there near zero value in maintaining the loyalty of people spending their own hard earned dollar. People spending their own dollar fill up a majority of the seats.

Off topic, but I have to know - $0.04 per mile on average? How is that possible - is it super advance purchase? Only going places that are on sale?
That is pretty easy to attain if you fly out of a competitive airport and only fly to places that are on sale. I am at $0.06 per mile this year because I had a few business trips sneak in (Even those were pretty cheap due to WN matching at BWI). I always tell people that if you need to go to a certain place at a certain time...you will get screwed. If I find airfare to Europe in the winter for $250-$600...well, then I am going to Europe in the winter. MQD's and basically no RDM's earned next year will mean that my butt will no longer be filling those off-peak vacant seats for silly unjustifiable weekend trips anymore.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by thesaints

They dropped the "U.S. based" clause from the 2016 MQD thresholds. Does it mean they will apply to everybody, or they just forgot ?
May be the email was targeted for US based flyers only or they forgot because they still had this clause in there:

Residency: Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

The non-U.S. waiver is still shown under the Medallion Program Updates entry, emphasis mine.

Adding More Exclusivity To The Medallion Program

We’re adjusting the 2016 Medallion Qualification Dollars* (MQDs) thresholds to add even more exclusivity to the SkyMiles Medallion program.
The MQDs requirement for 2016 Medallion status, which is based on flights flown between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015, will change as follows:
Silver Medallion MQDs requirement will be adjusted from $2,500 to $3,000
Gold Medallion MQDs requirement will be adjusted from $5,000 to $6,000
Platinum Medallion MQDs requirement will be adjusted from $7,500 to $9,000
Diamond Medallion MQDs requirement will be adjusted from $12,500 to $15,000
The MQDs requirement will continue to be waived if you make $25,000 or more in eligible purchases with a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card in the qualification year.
Learn more about MQDs and what’s changing.

*MQDs requirement is for U.S.-based members only.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Straight from the website 30 seconds ago

*MQDs requirement is for U.S.-based members only.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
This business model will put Delta ahead of the pack should others choose to not follow lockstep. They are providing an incentive to use the heck out of Amex, and it's working for my wife and me. We have three Reserves, so that's $450 times three every year for Delta to share with Amex along with 90,000 MQM's to divide between us. I fly once a month, and she flies once every month or two. I'm Platinum, and she will go from no status to Platinum between March and December of this year. If necessary, we can always get up to three Platinum cards to supplement the MQM's to maintain PM status going forward regardless of how much we fly. I've sat at the front of the bus about 90% of the time as a PM, not to mention the SC; free bags; RUC's; SkyBonus; and Sky Priority that comes with status.
Wow. If I was already dropping $180K+ on Reserve cards – and could drop another $150K+ on Plat cards – I wouldn’t even think about status. With that kind of $$$$ spend, seems far more beneficial to just fly F/J and put those points toward something else rather than chase second tier status, no?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And a subliminal reminder that OPM folks should go crazy and buy higher fares:

Yes, MQDs (similar to MQMs and MQSs) are earned by the member who is flying (whose name and SkyMiles number are listed on the ticket). This means that even if your company (or spouse, parent, etc.) purchases your ticket, the member who is flying will earn the MQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.