Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I guess United is going to follow and anmounce their own increase in a minute
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Exclusivity -- please, give me a break.

Exclusivity, except for all those who put $25K on their Amex. Or live in NYC/SEA and get the "fly twice get Gold" promo or the "2x MQMs" promo.

This is specifically designed to push business travelers who are mandated a corporate credit card (which unlike the DL Amex contributes $0 to Delta's bottom line) to purchase more expensive fares. Period.

All of those who spend their employers'/clients' money on airfare and gloat about their MQD balance can just enjoy this for now, thinking how special and exclusive they're getting, until corporate travel departments catch on and clamp down on what airlines/fares they can book.

Meanwhile, the rest of us non-exclusives will keep padding our Amex balances and buying cheap fares to get where we want to go, instead of where our boss sends us.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And I find this sentence in the email amusing as Delta Studio does not work on ANY of my electronic equipment:

And we won't stop there. We're working hard to bring you our very best — check out our new premium Delta Sky Club® menu and industry-leading complimentary Delta Studio™ entertainment — as you jet around the globe.

They can make it 30K and it won't matter anyway if FCM increased, in fact it will make it worse for UGs because more will just buy GAP fares anyway rather than chase elite levels and the norm will be BFUG for 0 seats.

As soon as it is 100% revenue based I will shop airlines instead of be loyal.

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; Oct 10, 2014 at 8:32 am
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I guess United is going to follow and anmounce their own increase in a minute
3.... 2.... 1....
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by AKC6
"The updates to the 2015 SkyMiles program will not impact how you earn Medallion status or your benefits."

How we earn 2014/15: MQM (w/ rollover) or MQS + MQD or AmEx

How we earn 2015/16: MQM (w/ rollover) or MQS + MQD or AmEx

The numbers change, not the method(s).

Eliminating one of the components, or adding another one, would be a change in how we earn.
Good call! You nailed it!

In 2015, the MQD threshold to earn 2016 Medallion status will be adjusted. Otherwise, the way you earn Medallion status is not changing and will still be based on a combination of the miles and segments you fly and your annual spending on Delta flights.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
Well, at least they finally said it clearly...

"when everyone's an elite flyer, no one is"
Sounds like something they cribbed directly from a FT thread.

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
It's funny how I received the 'A More Exclusive Travel Experience On The Horizon' email this morning and realized that it's probably not good news. Thankfully, the MQD shouldn't effect my status, but with my travel plans varying each year, I can't really say for sure. While my wife and I have 2 AMEX cards, I haven't been able to convince her switch over to a Delta co-branded one. The benefits from our other AMEX cards strongly outweigh the value of additional Skymiles.

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Gosh I detest Delta's marketing spin, trying to make it sound like now were even better off with the increased MQD thresholds.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yeah...I just wanted to bank a crap-ton of MQMs so I will have DM for the next few years.
Is everyone this confident they won't axe rollover at some point?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
At some point, I expect their rollover to expire. For example, if I rolled over 150K MQMs towards my 2016 status, the remaining 25K MQMs won't apply towards 2017 status.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
They can do anything they want and will! "Keep Descending" Delta!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by akcae

All of those who spend their employers'/clients' money on airfare and gloat about their MQD balance can just enjoy this for now, thinking how special and exclusive they're getting, until corporate travel departments catch on and clamp down on what airlines/fares they can book.
I can never understand those who are "proud" they over-spend. Especially any that it is on their own dime, When I am eating the cost the price is important to me. But I guess the OPM folks can drive their 2005 Subraru to the airport and sit in F for a couple of hours and feel important.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by 355F1
::raises hand::

I have flown 139,000 BIS Miles this year so far and I'm at $6,310 MQDs. (I have soent over the $25k already on my AMEX DL Reserve).

With the additional MRs I have planned I will have 265,000 BIS MQMs flown this year.

My goal is 300k MQMs by Dec 31....and with the flights already purchased plus what I have now....plus the 30k MQMs for reaching $60k in spend on my AMEX...plus the 18k rollover....I will be at 320,000 MQMs by Dec. 31.

Haha. I need a new hobby.
Off topic, but I have to know - $0.04 per mile on average? How is that possible - is it super advance purchase? Only going places that are on sale? And how will you fly 130,000 miles in the next 2 months? That's 13 round trips to Europe, or all the way around the world 5.5 times?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
I was reading feverishly through the announcement expecting to find that they axed rollover.

Sitting at 232K MQM, $22K MQD, and over $50K in Amex spend. I should be able to hit 250K MQM easily this year and I'll hit the Amex spend for next year by March. If they would have axed rollover that would have been a bummer.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by MLCJ
And my counter is why shouldn't they? I'm over 240,000 MQMs and $85,000 MQDs with only about 50 segments yet I'm in the same upgrade pool when I fly domestic. The airline nets way more off me than someone flying cheap, multi segment flights simply to build up MQSs and achieve DM status. IMO they need to increase the limits further.
Company paid/client paid, or Personal paid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.