Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum New Name: KeepClimbingEd
Originally Posted by kelvinj
Honestly, why do you care? You are paying for First/Business and should never have concerns about the upgrade list or who is jockeying for position on it.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Why do you care about who gets upgraded or any other elite benefits while you are enjoying your paid F/J experience?
It's kind of like a hot day in August. You're by the pool at the $$$$ country club when you notice a stream of boisterous kids and adults coming in with coolers of beers and inner tubes. You get up and ask the pool management what's going on. You're informed that the pump at the community rec center is broken and the county asked you to let everyone into the country club's pool. You express disbelief and outrage and then are informed by a passing pot-bellied redneck, "Why do you care? You still have your pool to swim in."

Exclusivity and premium service is not about people getting the same level of service for free. I agree that airlines need to find a way to continue to reward loyalty for those that spend a boatload on an on-going basis -- and that doesn't include those flying on the corporate nickel when they really have no choice but to select Delta because of corporate contracts.

Thanks to Delta for trying to put an end to the madness.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would you have preferred to have DL announce this change at the same time next year?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by colerc
I would agree that the relatively small number of people who routinely buy premium cabin fares for personal travel aren't likely to care much about loyalty, and I would guess that many of them do not. Delta makes a different business case to those people by offering flat-bed seats, offering whatever they view as a competitive catering offering in premium cabins, etc.
I think there are really two strategies in the mix, with two target audiences: one strategy is product differentiation, aimed at the customers and prospective customers who DL really wants to attract and maintain in the pointy end ... not necessarily FREQUENT DL travelers, but hopefully REGULAR (read "loyal") DL travelers

Originally Posted by colerc
There are plenty of people who buy expensive fares for work travel (and usually because their work travel arises at the last minute and/or justifies premium cabin accommodation, not because they're trying to fleece their employer or client) and then can enjoy elite benefits for personal travel. Indeed, though many of the "OPM" crowd on here find it morally reprehensible, that's essentially the entire premise of the existence of frequent flyer programs.
and this is the other, aimed at the more frequent travelers who may or may not have a choice in travel arrangements (but clearly more at those who do have such choice) ... the "elite experience" that occasionally gets them away from a portion of the stuff and nonsense of their "road warrior" travel routine; while portion size initially depended primarily on frequency and/or distance of travel, addition of MQD has added the "pay-to-play" component

so it's all about the calculus of how much these folks are willing to keep paying (or keep submitting for reimbursement to those who underwrite their travel) in order to keep reaping a smaller portion of that experience ... everyone has different factors that are important to them in different amounts, probably at different times, and there's simply no "RIGHT" answer -- program structure -- that can possibly make everyone happy
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mhop1027
First chance they get, the waiver is getting axed. Don't know when that'll be, but when they get free from Amex it makes no sense to keep that item around. Especially as the MQD totals creep toward the $25k mark, if this whole MQD change every year comes to fruition.
Why in the world would they do this. DL and Amex make billions from each other. The waiver isn't going away. It might increase though.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
By your reasoning, those who travel using corporate contract rates should not get FF credit for such flying, including credit for elite status (MQMs, MQSs, or MQDs) and also shouldn't get any elite benefits even if they have earned elite status for their personal travel.
That would be fair, no?

By all means, personal travel can accumulate for status, etc.

But corporate contract rates, why? This is one area where UA got it right, and does not award MQDs to contracted corporate rates. Why reward the flyer, if they are paying zero for the flight, and you have their business guaranteed anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
This is for 2016.

I'll be shopping around. This is ridiculous.

I don't want to go to another carrier, But this not right.

Below is the new 2015 vs 2016 Medallion Status format.
(Standard if you spend $25,000 with AMEX eligible purchases the MQS will be waived).

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...10_AA005119_P0
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by kelvinj
For example, one of my best friends is a Partner for one of the Big 4. She makes nice money. While in First on a domestic flight that she paid for with her own money, the man seated next to her asked if she was the wife of a professional athlete and is that how she gets to sit up front. My point is that FF status doesn't matter. The classless will always find a way to offend.
And that is my point... HE was probably a diamond acting as a rent-a-gate-agent policing the F cabin to ensure all the upgrade rules were followed and that Shena was not the reason your friend was in First. LOL

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
That would be fair, no?

By all means, personal travel can accumulate for status, etc.

But corporate contract rates, why? This is one area where UA got it right, and does not award MQDs to contracted corporate rates. Why reward the flyer, if they are paying zero for the flight, and you have their business guaranteed anyway.
Personally I would consider it to be fair in the sense of being consistent with DL's goals, but I'm sure corporate contract travelers would scream.

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Why in the world would they do this. DL and Amex make billions from each other. The waiver isn't going away. It might increase though.
I agree, I Was surprised their was not a two tier for amex this year 25k for FO/GM and 50k for PM/DM or something along those lines. but I am sure it is coming.

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TPG states that the DL AmEx $25,000 spend waiver will remain in place.
If that's true, then my question is, is the overall goal of increasing MQD's to drive more business to Delta, or to drive more cardholders for the Delta AmEx? It surely doesn't seem like Delta wants to limit Medallions as they keep sending out offer after offer...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:07 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up I Like It!!!

I still would like to see the levels increased a little more though. The higher the threshold, the more it keeps the "roll rollers" out of F class cabins (-;
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
If that's true, then my question is, is the overall goal of increasing MQD's to drive more business to Delta, or to drive more cardholders for the Delta AmEx? It surely doesn't seem like Delta wants to limit Medallions as they keep sending out offer after offer...
The goal should be to increase DL's profits, or more precisely its market value. Neither increasing their sales volume or the number of DL AmEx cards is equivalent to profit maximization.

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Delta getting cocky. Announcing it 14.5 Months before it's going in effect. They must be doing well.
DL Flyers will be expected to earn their 2016 status during 2015, which begins in just over 2.5 months. Cocky or not, DL's doing the right thing passing the word now.
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
Originally Posted by KeepClimbingDick
Exclusivity and premium service is not about people getting the same level of service for free. I agree that airlines need to find a way to continue to reward loyalty for those that spend a boatload on an on-going basis -- and that doesn't include those flying on the corporate nickel when they really have no choice but to select Delta because of corporate contracts.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
+100
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:12 am
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
And that is my point... HE was probably a diamond acting as a rent-a-gate-agent policing the F cabin to ensure all the upgrade rules were followed and that Shena was not the reason your friend was in First. LOL
LOL... best one today!! We've all seen him!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.