Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Surely they didn't want to scare too many people away at the beginning. That said, I feel equally sure that the whole thing was planned in advance in steps.
I remember an earlier announcement of what DL calls MQDs by UA where UA then retreated quickly. IIRC at that time UA intended to use $2500/$5000/$7500/$10,000 for their four tiers. When DL decided to try MQDs, DL copied the former UA numbers.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Where did OP get these numbers -- I can't find any official announcement from DL. I don't doubt the increases and I'm not surprised; just curious.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500? Just curious if it is more difficult tipo reach the dollar amount vs. the MQM amount.

Personally, I think the 125k is much harder than the $$. But have quite a few last min meetings i need to attend and those tickets are rather pricy.

-ok
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500? Just curious if it is more difficult tipo reach the dollar amount vs. the MQM amount.

Personally, I think the 125k is much harder than the $$. But have quite a few last min meetings i need to attend and those tickets are rather pricy.

-ok
If you mileage run, it's way easier to reach 125k miles before 12.5k in spend. Delta's MQD requirement works out to be 10cpm... most mileage runs are anywhere from 3-5cpm.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:00 pm

Surely they didn't want to scare too many people away at the beginning. That said, I feel equally sure that the whole thing was planned in advance in steps.
I see what you're saying, they kept X FF active and flying DL by keeping the amounts artificially low. The shoe has now dropped, and I don't think anyone sees this for anything other than what is is: an attempt to milk those X FF for 9 months before forcing them out with this announcement.

Edit: Or to shift spending to Amex.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I'm not even remotely close to DM in MQDs, but I'm only 5K shy of MQMs due to rollover and Amex MQMs.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
I'm not even remotely close to DM in MQDs, but I'm only 5K shy of MQMs due to rollover and Amex MQMs.
Thanks, never though of milage runs. And the Amex, etc. makes more sense.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mhop1027
I see what you're saying, they kept X FF active and flying DL by keeping the amounts artificially low. The shoe has now dropped, and I don't think anyone sees this for anything other than what is is: an attempt to milk those X FF for 9 months before forcing them out with this announcement.
I don't think it'll really force anyone out - particularly when UA matches it verbatim. Of course, AA is still hanging in the balance, but surely, they'll have to make some kind of a change for 2015.

I think it'll probably go up again in 2016, & maybe 2017 til they find some kind of an equalization point between providing benefits and losing customers.

I also think they figure on losing some customers, but expect to gain some when the other guyz screw up.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, National EE
Chipping away

Seems they are chipping away at the top medallion tiers, trying to shrink the pool even further.

Once again this doesn't impact me as I am over $18k for the year with only 121 MQS and barely 100k MQM. Still have about 10 weeks of travel left to book. If only they would add $ as one of the primary qualifiers, or even give me MQS rollover.

Then again, "First they came for the..." - well, you know how that story goes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Glad I live outside the USA...I'm not sure it's really a secret DL looks to reward spend over BIS.

At least there was a bit more notice for this change than some others we have seen. I'm sure UA is paying attention.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM

-ok
I'm sitting at 148,740 and 11867MQDs.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Where did OP get these numbers -- I can't find any official announcement from DL. I don't doubt the increases and I'm not surprised; just curious.
OP is well connected and we know based on history that Delta rarely comes to FT to warn us of these types of announcements. (DLCorpGal left the company and it looks like DLCorpGuy had his wings clipped in terms of engaging with the FT community)

For those who haven't gotten the hint: DL doesn't generally like FlyerTalkers a.k.a Gamers (= not profitable).
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to be Silver Medallion next year with about $2600 in spend. Coming up with an extra $400 wouldn't have been hard. If it means a better experience for me (more upgrades, more increases in service and hopefully a better SM program) than I'm for it
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
OP is well connected and we know based on history that Delta rarely comes to FT to warn us of these types of announcements. (DLCorpGal left the company and it looks like DLCorpGuy had his wings clipped in terms of engaging with the FT community)

For those who haven't gotten the hint: DL doesn't generally like FlyerTalkers a.k.a Gamers (= not profitable).
I'm unsurprised, but I'd still like to see the OP cite a source. Or describe a source. Or somehow acknowledge that this information came from somewhere other than his imagination.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
...I'm going to be Silver Medallion next year with about $2600 in spend. Coming up with an extra $400 wouldn't have been hard....
I'm in a similar situation for PM, although I'm starting to feel a little like the frog in the slowly heating water...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.