Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm as pro free market economy as anyone (probably much more) but that doesn't mean ethics go out the window. UA could and should have given DL ample notice that they would pull the gate. What if your doctor knew you were terminally ill but didn't bother to tell you until two weeks before you were expected to die?
What is UA pulling from Delta? Delta wasn't using UA gates, they were subleasing from AA. They made an assumption that they could get usage of the UA gates, they thought wrong (or didn't offer enough money). Should UA let every carrier know that they are thinking about increasing frequencies of gates at DAL because it's ethically right? The target of the complaints should be lawmakers for creating the silly scenario.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I'm as pro free market economy as anyone (probably much more) but that doesn't mean ethics go out the window. UA could and should have given DL ample notice that they would pull the gate. What if your doctor knew you were terminally ill but didn't bother to tell you until two weeks before you were expected to die?
Except DL never had control of any gates at DAL. They were told they would not be considered for the gates VX got and yet they loaded in their schedules and knowing that the extra flights would never operate from DAL. Their existing flights were always subject to revocation once the AA sublease expires next month. DL knew that and dragged things out until the very end pretending that nothing had been decided.

With an airline as large as DL, a few flights to DAL amounts to a very small hill of beans. It is not something major like DL being kicked out of an airport that matters to them (ATL/JFK).

UA has the gate and can schedule whatever flights it likes out of them. Time to move on to more consequential issues.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:44 pm

Are you suggesting that airlines enter into a civil aviation equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Time to move on to more consequential issues.
This is the Delta board, we routinely discuss trivial issues and it can reach into the hundreds of posts. When I don't want to discuss something then I won't post.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:59 pm

Why isn't United interested in increasing utilization of the gates by scheduling flights to other hubs?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Tamino
According to today´s Dallas Morning News, Delta is being forced out of Love because Southwest is going to use one of UA´s 2 gates. Southwest now controls 16 of DALs 20 gates, UA has 2 and AA has 2 which will be transferred to Virgin Oct 13.

Apparently, DL has been leasing the AA gates being transferred to Virgin. Effectively, UA has nothing to do with DL leaving DAL.

This stinks.

UA is leasing one of their gates to WN until early January, when UA starts their higher level of gate squatting.

WN agreed to 16 gates (which they got) in the Wright Amendment negotiations, and then went out and negotiated a short-term lease on yet another gate. That short-term lease forces an existing carrier out of the market earlier than would have occurred otherwise.

I am tired of the WN pity party (we just want to compete) that got Love Field's terminal downsized, and their continuing blarney that they are passenger friendly.

Gary Kelly just showed how little he cares for competition, and I hope Richard will get the chance to show him how things are done downtown. I also hope Delta files a complaint with the DoJ. The Southwest/Airtran merger was the most anti-competitive in history, as the major goal was to eliminate a competitor with lower costs. They claimed they wanted Atlanta, yet immediately downsized the operation.

David
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave

This stinks.

UA is leasing one of their gates to WN until early January, when UA starts their higher level of gate squatting.

WN agreed to 16 gates (which they got) in the Wright Amendment negotiations, and then went out and negotiated a short-term lease on yet another gate. That short-term lease forces an existing carrier out of the market earlier than would have occurred otherwise.

I am tired of the WN pity party (we just want to compete) that got Love Field's terminal downsized, and their continuing blarney that they are passenger friendly.

Gary Kelly just showed how little he cares for competition, and I hope Richard will get the chance to show him how things are done downtown. I also hope Delta files a complaint with the DoJ. The Southwest/Airtran merger was the most anti-competitive in history, as the major goal was to eliminate a competitor with lower costs. They claimed they wanted Atlanta, yet immediately downsized the operation.

David
Delta is the most anti-competitive airline out there, regularly using litigation to attack other airlines.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
I take it you have not been there in the last year
It's is somewhat of a dump
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fly18725
Delta is the most anti-competitive airline out there, regularly using litigation to attack other airlines.
Interesting statement, can you provide some links?

David
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:39 am

Interesting statement, can you provide some links?

David
I would Google "Delta sues Korean/Etihad/Emirates/Air India"
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by scottsam66
US has 90% of CLT flights
And AA has 85% at DFW.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:21 am

I would Google "Delta sues Korean/Etihad/Emirates/Air India"
Seriously - Is that the best you can do? Delta suing over us US taxpayers subsidizing foreign airlines? Hawaiian Airlines joined the suit, by the way along with ALPA.

None of those airlines are disadvantaged startups, and do not need us taxpayers to subsidize their aircraft purchases. In fact, all of those airlines have significant cost advantages over Delta anyway.

Whether Boeing needs the subsidy is another discussion.

And by the way, you said regularly. I asked for links and you provided the one example.

David
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by swag
And AA has 85% at DFW.
And Delta has close to 80% of the gates at ATL.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Wright Amendment negotiations
That's the thing, they were negotiations, not WN unilaterally dictating the future of the Wright Amendment and DAL. AA certainly isn't unhappy that DAL can't do a lot of things DFW can. Do you really expect that WN was supposed to fight for DL's rights to expand at DAL in those negotiations?

Oh, and we are discussing an airline (DL) that backed out of the Dallas market with their tails between their legs within recent history, right? No reason they can't reverse that at the other airport now that they swung and missed at DAL. It doesn't seem to me that if DL was really interested a buildup in the Dallas metro market that DFW is all that much worse a choice than DAL. A lot of the growth in that metro area is up north and better served by DFW. They could add LAX-DFW and be in pretty good shape, with LGA, JFK, ATL, MSP, DTW and SLC already served...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club

This stinks.

David
You don't get it. It has always been about Southwest/Air Tran. When NWA destroyed Midwest Airlines - its was about Southwest/Air Tran, When Delta consolidated with and acquired NWA - it was about Southwest/Air Tran, when NWA/Delta brought all the heavy lift to MKE<-> MSP, it was about Southwest Air Tran, and DAL, that's about Southwest/Air Tran too. Delta's been trying to bring it "downtown" as you say for years.

Delta got its merger, why shouldn't WN/FL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.