Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
The City of Dallas had nothing to do with this.

From the article:http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...the-year.html/
Since this wasn't in the article when it was written.

Southwest is only letting Delta use that gate until January 6, when Southwest launches Oakland and San Francisco nonstop service from Dallas Love Field.

“We have let Delta know that we are willing to potentially accommodate them on a portion of a gate through January 6, 2015, in order to avoid inconveniencing passengers booked on Delta flights from Love Field during that time,” Southwest vice president and general counsel Mark Shaw said Wednesday evening. “Our discussions with Delta are ongoing. Any accommodation is subject to agreement between Southwest and Delta covering reasonable terms and conditions. We hope and expect to conclude these discussions quickly.”

United Airlines spokeswoman Megan McCarthy says the carrier “did offer ticket counter and support space through the end of the year,” but not one of its gates.

Boy, UA sure doesn't want to part with those gates lol. Who knew UA had such an affinity to DAL gates? Also, it seems like a certain airline at DAL doesn't want this gate issues going to court.

For the most part the same ground people work UA and DL flights at DAL right now so UA letting them use the support space is the same set up as in Terminal 1.

if you think the city of Dallas had nothing to do with this, then you are sadly mistaken.

I think the most interesting thing to watch will be what happens when Delta is told they can stay permanently past the extended date and UA is now left holding the bag with 12 flights a day to/from DAL - IAH. UA will not be laughing then. Rookie move on UA's part. But, doesn't surprise me one bit. That's the difference between Delta, who prints money and UA, who basically turns a profit thanks to there industry leading revenue from ancillary items.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
if you think the city of Dallas had nothing to do with this, then you are sadly mistaken.
As someone who has to work with the City of Dallas on a daily basis, I can tell you Dallas City Hall couldn't pour pi** out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel. Dealing with The City of Dallas has taken years off of my life.

The whole Wright Amendment thing and huge mess with DAL has a long history with the inept government of The City of Dallas. It also didn't help that the DOT took the gates away that DL was using. DAL should be completely open without any restrictions like most airports in the country and any airline should be able to fly into DAL if they wish. The 20 gate cap is utterly ridiculous.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I think the most interesting thing to watch will be what happens when Delta is told they can stay permanently past the extended date and UA is now left holding the bag with 12 flights a day to/from DAL - IAH. UA will not be laughing then. Rookie move on UA's part. But, doesn't surprise me one bit. That's the difference between Delta, who prints money and UA, who basically turns a profit thanks to there industry leading revenue from ancillary items.
CO was running upwards of 16x a day on this route during its peak. If they can fill the planes and not lose money, why not do it?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...mpaign_id=yhoo

The radical changes taking place this fall at Dallas Love Field Airport have touched off fierce jostling over space and odd fights over flights. It seemed possible that the small airport would lose five daily flights to the major travel hub of Atlanta, yet passengers would still be able to avail themselves twice daily of a departure to El Dorado, Ark. (population 18,000).
Good to know Virgin America has gate space for these important flts offered by SeaPort Airlines .

On Wednesday, just four days before Delta would have been forced out, United (UAL) stepped in to sublease space in a deal that will last through year’s end. Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter said the carrier is still looking for a “permanent solution to allow for long-term service.”
So UA is going to triple the ground time to turn their RJ's. UA offered to step in and sublease a gate to DL for 3 months. That was nice.

In January, United plans to nearly double its current service from Love to its Houston hub. That decision drew a blast this week from Imperial Capital analyst Bob McAdoo, who called the new flights a sign of United’s “old-style airline thinking” that focuses on unprofitable market share. He warned that the Love Field move “is likely to be highly unprofitable” and suggested that United is either hoarding space or “getting in the way of Delta.” Many current United passengers are likely opt for Southwest’s new, more convenient nonstops at Love, McAdoo said.
I would sure take WN on a flt this short on a 737 vs UA's RJ's. The analyst tells it like it is.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by kettle1

So UA is going to triple the ground time to turn their RJ's. UA offered to step in and sublease a gate to DL for 3 months. That was nice.

I would sure take WN on a flt this short on a 737 vs UA's RJ's. The analyst tells it like it is.
Two things, one the article is wrong. DL is leasing a gate from WN, not UA. See Dallas Morning News articles.

The other, WN doesn't fly to IAH, so if you need to go from Central Dallas to North Houston it is going to be on UA. Driving from north Houston to south Houston is a real PITA. Heck, even CO use to fly from IAH to Ellington Airport in South Houston.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
There are probably very few, if any, travelers who would not prefer a 737 flight over an RJ. This analyst´s comments might make sense if it were not for the fact that many of UA´s DAL passengers are actually connecting to other flights out of the IAH hub which is the reason why UA has had such great success with its DAL flights over the years.

I seriously doubt that UA is making any effort to compete head to head with WN using RJs in the general Dallas to Houston market. It´s all about the connects and supported with traffic from Dallas to Northern Houston.

_____

I believe the Ellington Field flights that COA once flew were eliminated when TSA bumped airport security and required enhanced passenger processing at security.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Tamino
There are probably very few, if any, travelers who would not prefer a 737 flight over an RJ. This analyst´s comments might make sense if it were not for the fact that many of UA´s DAL passengers are actually connecting to other flights out of the IAH hub which is the reason why UA has had such great success with its DAL flights over the years.

I seriously doubt that UA is making any effort to compete head to head with WN using RJs in the general Dallas to Houston market. It´s all about the connects and supported with traffic from Dallas to Northern Houston.
I agree with the above, except many that want nonstops could drive to DFW and fly AA. The analyst quoted below does not agree, and believes UA will loose money on these flts.

In January, United plans to nearly double its current service from Love to its Houston hub. That decision drew a blast this week from Imperial Capital analyst Bob McAdoo, who called the new flights a sign of United’s “old-style airline thinking” that focuses on unprofitable market share. He warned that the Love Field move “is likely to be highly unprofitable” and suggested that United is either hoarding space or “getting in the way of Delta.” Many current United passengers are likely opt for Southwest’s new, more convenient nonstops at Love, McAdoo said.
I have never flown DAL-IAH and never will to connect to a UA flt. My point is UA is doing what I highlighted above by the analyst from Imperial Capital. I believe he is correct that UA is playing games with the gates - 90 min turns on a RJ. Come on man!

The city of Dallas needs to make sure each gate at DAL is fully utilized. I am sure DL would pull the same thing - except DL was going to add service (if they kept the gates leased from AA) to several other cities - not just ATL. UA is using Chicago thug tactics and Texas business think as the analyst pointed out.

DAL airport should have been leveled 35+ years ago when DFW opened, but Texas wisdom did not do what they did in Denver - the day DEN opened - Stapleton was closed.

I could care less what happens, but this is a BS move by UA doing 90 min turns on RJ's. The city of Dallas needs to look at landing fees. Make every carrier use their gates 100% or release the slots to other carriers. Perhaps Allegiant could use a slot or two. Spirit could use a dozen and bring in a couple ULCC's. Give the fine folks in the BIG D some real competition.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I agree with the above, except many that want nonstops could drive to DFW and fly AA. The analyst quoted below does not agree, and believes UA will loose money on these flts.
Why would someone who lives or works 10 to 15 minutes from DAL want to drive 45 minutes to DFW? For many years I flew DAL to IAH 4 to 6 times a month. Those flights were always full, even when 8 to 10 a day were operated. One analyst may not agree, but is this one opinion the definitive observation?

I believe he is correct that UA is playing games with the gates - 90 min turns on a RJ. Come on man!
I keep reading the contention that UA is planning 90 minute turns on 12 flights a day from DAL but from what source is this information obtained? I obviously missed the UA press release outlining these details. Either that or someone is blowing smoke.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

two totally different animals. ...

The issues at HND are totally different. You cant compare the two.
How so?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:48 am

Why would someone who lives or works 10 to 15 minutes from DAL want to drive 45 minutes to DFW? For many years I flew DAL to IAH 4 to 6 times a month. Those flights were always full, even when 8 to 10 a day were operated. One analyst may not agree, but is this one opinion the definitive observation?
First off, again, DAL airport should have been torn down - not exist 35 years later after DFW was built. If those UA flts are so full, why is UA going to start 90 min turns with RJ's and tying up 2 gates? Something sinks in the BIG D. Leasing one gate to WN. Why not 20 flts a day using 2 gates to one city?

If CO or UA was making so much money, why don't they turn the planes in 30 min. Like in every other airline/airport in the world? RJ's. Come on. They are playing games. DL would do the same, but this is between the city of Dallas and the airlines. UA with 12 flts a day with 2 gates with RJ's.

I keep reading the contention that UA is planning 90 minute turns on 12 flights a day from DAL but from what source is this information obtained? I obviously missed the UA press release outlining these details. Either that or someone is blowing smoke.
Why would UA release such GREAT NEWS on a press release.
UA and at the city council meeting (Dallas). Look it up. Try Google.

I am the person "blowing smoke" - I guess. Look it up.

The city of Dallas, TX city council needs to step up and allow airlines to compete at "LOVE" field. This includes every airline.

Last edited by kettle1; Oct 9, 2014 at 4:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
How so?
Here's the most plausible reason (Thanks to the Anet user Ala164 who posted this:

Quoting Ala164: Every international legacy thought that HND was going to be a great route; and, so far, everybody has been wrong. And all those other airlines "had a chance" to go to Haneda; they presented their proposals, it was the DOT who determined that DL (and AA and HA) offered the best opportunities to extend service to that airport.

It is hard to blame DL for adhering to "conventional wisdom".

Plus at HND, Delta does not control 80% of the gates whereas at DAL, Southwest does. anytime you want to change airports at HND, I believe the request has to go through DOT.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's the most plausible reason

Both are limited resources where negotiations can alter access. And in both cases incumbents have kept their access to the detriment of others desiring the same thing.

Really not all that different at all when you look at the bigger picture.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
CO was running upwards of 16x a day on this route during its peak. If they can fill the planes and not lose money, why not do it?
I wholly agree. Its just the timing of it all that makes it suspicious. It will be interesting to see how many frequencies and what the turn times change to throughout 2015 on DAL to IAH. It could be that United shot themselves in the foot with this; trying to keep Delta out and by doing so, adding frequencies that they can possibly lose a lot of money on.

Why did they drop from 16x a day to 6? Probably has something to do with money. I bet those 12 frequencies go back down to 6 again before long.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
The title of this thread is misleading. In fact it would seem to be a compromise, allowing Delta to complete the flights against which Delta sold advance tickets.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
DAL airport should have been leveled 35+ years ago when DFW opened, but Texas wisdom did not do what they did in Denver - the day DEN opened - Stapleton was closed.
First off, again, DAL airport should have been torn down - not exist 35 years later after DFW was built.
I am the person "blowing smoke" - I guess. Look it up.
A piece of US History - was that not the last airport JFK landed at before he was shot fatally? I also thought the dead president's body was flown ex DAL aboard AFI and LBJ sworn in - all out of DAL. I would keep it open for history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.