Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

United has decided to sit on their two gates at DAL and increase DAL-IAH to 12 daily ERJ-145's with 90 minute turns (that's long enough to turn an international widebody flight). No wonder UA is such a piss poor airline. Dumping rj's to prevent another airline from flying to ATL is downright childish.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Seems like this will have relatively little impact on DL since at this point they are only flying 50-seaters on DAL-ATL. Losing the gates at DAL to VX pretty much sealed the deal for DL at DAL. I expect that UA's move was more about a strategic response to WN than it was an attack on DL. DL is merely collateral damage.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Delta was planning on upguaging flights to the 717 once the new terminal opened. This had everything to do with keeping Delta out of DAL. You don't let a regional net sit on be ground for 90 minutes. That was done so that both gates would be occupied.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat MM, Marriott Plat, UA PE
How long can UA possibly keep this up? At some point there is a limit to waste and definsiveness in any business...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
UA obviously feels the waste of doing this is less than they'd lose by letting DL in.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas2012
How long can UA possibly keep this up? At some point there is a limit to waste and definsiveness in any business...
Also run the risk of being seen as anti-competitive. If there's no good sound financial reason for the lengthy ground times.

Of course I could see them trying to say this is to all about allowing the pilots/fa to get off the plane and have a meal. With UA nothing surprises me anymore. The only time I fly them anymore is when there is no other carrier that can get me to a location. The last straw for me with them was on a J class paid ticket and they tried to downgrade me to Y, instead of bumping someone that was upgraded. After talking with them about the issue I learned that company can spin stuff better then politicians.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But Dallas is AA turf. Seems like UA is actually protecting AA from DL.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
United has decided to sit on their two gates at DAL and increase DAL-IAH to 12 daily ERJ-145's with 90 minute turns (that's long enough to turn an international widebody flight). No wonder UA is such a piss poor airline. Dumping rj's to prevent another airline from flying to ATL is downright childish.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas2012
I fly DAL-IAH almost every week. United has been selling themselves short at DAL for a while since the merger. Flights are full and UA has been losing business by not flying more flights. Before the 2008 downtown DAL-IAH was the number one route in CO system for number of daily flights. CO flew 16 flights a day and for a good 12 years it was always 10 flights or more a day.

UA is just going back to a better schedule. They can run 12 flights a day between DAL-IAH, fill them up, and get a good yield too. During the week morning flights are full of businessmen going between the two cities.

DL is just caught up the the whole Wright mess. What needs to happen at DAL is gate cap lifted and restrictions gone so any airline can fly there if they choose to.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:01 pm

This is how the airline business works. Don't you think that if the shoe were on the other hand, DL wouldn't do the same thing, or something similar? If DL actually wanted the slots in question, they could try to buy them from UA, along with leasing the gate, should they need it.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
DL jumped the gun by putting all those flights on the schedule without have a gate to operate them out of and now they have egg on their faces. Was not a surprising outcome once they lost the AA gates to VX. They service DFW and life goes on...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
DL is just caught up the the whole Wright mess. What needs to happen at DAL is gate cap lifted and restrictions gone so any airline can fly there if they choose to.
Is AA still preventing this from happening (obviously pointed at WN)?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
I fly DAL-IAH almost every week. United has been selling themselves short at DAL for a while since the merger. Flights are full and UA has been losing business by not flying more flights. Before the 2008 downtown DAL-IAH was the number one route in CO system for number of daily flights. CO flew 16 flights a day and for a good 12 years it was always 10 flights or more a day.

UA is just going back to a better schedule. They can run 12 flights a day between DAL-IAH, fill them up, and get a good yield too. During the week morning flights are full of businessmen going between the two cities.

You think 90 minute turns on a 50 seat jet is efficient? LMAO

No, UA could still run their full schedule with a normal 30 minute turn. Tripling the turn time was just so they could occupy two gates.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
This is how the airline business works. Don't you think that if the shoe were on the other hand, DL wouldn't do the same thing, or something similar? If DL actually wanted the slots in question, they could try to buy them from UA, along with leasing the gate, should they need it.
Getting caught up in pissing contest isn't good for anyone.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Getting caught up in pissing contest isn't good for anyone.
That assumes that the wind conditions are not a factor. The one downwind usually realizes the folly of such an endeavour.
Considering DL's profitability, financial strength and size, I reckon the wind is in DL's favour.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:15 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
DL jumped the gun by putting all those flights on the schedule without have a gate to operate them out of and now they have egg on their faces. Was not a surprising outcome once they lost the AA gates to VX. They service DFW and life goes on...
Most of new flights were removed quite some time ago. This affects primarily the atl flights that were still being sold and had been sold for the last 6 years or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.