Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The DOJ wanted VX to take the gates and pretty much pushed the city of Dallas to give them the gates.
That's not exactly how it went down. The DOJ told AA to give two gates to VX. AA and VX executed a long-term lease for the two gates and the City of Dallas had no role other than to approve the lease, which the DOJ asserted involved the exercise of no discretion.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Here are a couple links pretty much stating that VX was the only airline that the DOJ thought should get the AA gates at DAL. The city of Dallas had the final say but they didn't want to fight the DOJ.
There were people in Dallas, including in city government, who believed that Dallas had some say (or "final say") but according to the DOJ, their only role was to approve the form of the lease agreement between AA and VX. No doubt there were Texans who mistakenly believed they had some say in the matter - but they did not. When the federal government orders assets transferred to settle a federal antitrust lawsuit, local city councils don't get a say in the recipients of those assets. That was solely between AA and the DOJ.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:16 pm

City Of Dallas gives in to delta

For now on dallas news they said delta can stay through end of year. United is a heel. BTW I wonder which gates delta will use since united is a you know...

What do you guys think.
http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...the-year.html/
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's not exactly how it went down. The DOJ told AA to give two gates to VX. AA and VX executed a long-term lease for the two gates and the City of Dallas had no role other than to approve the lease, which the DOJ asserted involved the exercise of no discretion.

There were people in Dallas, including in city government, who believed that Dallas had some say (or "final say") but according to the DOJ, their only role was to approve the form of the lease agreement between AA and VX. No doubt there were Texans who mistakenly believed they had some say in the matter - but they did not. When the federal government orders assets transferred to settle a federal antitrust lawsuit, local city councils don't get a say in the recipients of those assets. That was solely between AA and the DOJ.
Thanks. I just remember reading the stories that the city of Dallas was considering leasing the gates to WN instead of VX.

The biggest difference between WN and VX is that you'll know WN will be flying out of DAL in 1, 5, 10, 20, or 30 years form now. VX, not so much.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Oct 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I guess they had to do something to prevent the lawsuit.

But, why DAL doesn't use Common Use gates to allow for multiple airlines to share gate space is something I don't get.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's called competition. UA will pay more for exclusive access to a gate than other carriers combined. Generates more fees, less taxes for locals.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
as I suspected, the city of Dallas and Love Field apparently know whats best for them and have now back tracked on what they told Delta. If I was a betting man, I would place my bet on Delta being allowed to operate at DAL past the extension date.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

So what gates are DL going to use? Perhaps the one that UA is sub-leasing to WN?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:24 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
It's called competition. UA will pay more for exclusive access to a gate than other carriers combined. Generates more fees, less taxes for locals.
Higher fares for locals
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Higher fares for locals
Yes, it was too extremely expensive. This is insane! Why Delta can't get file lawsuit against City of Dallas? I don't blame against city of Dallas!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
If I was a betting man, I would place my bet on Delta being allowed to operate at DAL past the extension date.
Yes sir - I would bet on that too.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes sir - I would bet on that too.
So who loses a gate to accommodate delta? United?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by kettle1

So what gates are DL going to use? Perhaps the one that UA is sub-leasing to WN?
Nope, DL will not be using a UA gate. They will be using one of WN gates. The UA gate is only for WN overflow and not for WN to schedule departure from. WN can not give UA gate to anyone else. That is only between UA and WN. Humm...seems like somebody doesn't want DAL gate issue to go to court.

From the article: http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...the-year.html/
Southwest is only letting Delta use that gate until January 6, when Southwest launches Oakland and San Francisco nonstop service from Dallas Love Field.

“We have let Delta know that we are willing to potentially accommodate them on a portion of a gate through January 6, 2015, in order to avoid inconveniencing passengers booked on Delta flights from Love Field during that time,” Southwest vice president and general counsel Mark Shaw said Wednesday evening. “Our discussions with Delta are ongoing. Any accommodation is subject to agreement between Southwest and Delta covering reasonable terms and conditions. We hope and expect to conclude these discussions quickly.”

United Airlines spokeswoman Megan McCarthy says the carrier “did offer ticket counter and support space through the end of the year,” but not one of its gates.

For the most part the same ground people work UA and DL flights at DAL right now so UA letting them use the support space is the same set up as in Terminal 1.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:40 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by dallaspopo
BTW I wonder which gates delta will use since united is a you know...
Did you not read the article you linked to? It says right there that WN will let DL share one of its gates through Jan 6.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
Did you not read the article you linked to? It says right there that WN will let DL share one of its gates through Jan 6.
That wasn't in the article when the OP originally posted the link.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
The City of Dallas had nothing to do with this.

From the article:http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...the-year.html/
Since this wasn't in the article when it was written.

Southwest is only letting Delta use that gate until January 6, when Southwest launches Oakland and San Francisco nonstop service from Dallas Love Field.

“We have let Delta know that we are willing to potentially accommodate them on a portion of a gate through January 6, 2015, in order to avoid inconveniencing passengers booked on Delta flights from Love Field during that time,” Southwest vice president and general counsel Mark Shaw said Wednesday evening. “Our discussions with Delta are ongoing. Any accommodation is subject to agreement between Southwest and Delta covering reasonable terms and conditions. We hope and expect to conclude these discussions quickly.”

United Airlines spokeswoman Megan McCarthy says the carrier “did offer ticket counter and support space through the end of the year,” but not one of its gates.

Boy, UA sure doesn't want to part with those gates lol. Who knew UA had such an affinity to DAL gates? Also, it seems like a certain airline at DAL doesn't want this gate issues going to court.

For the most part the same ground people work UA and DL flights at DAL right now so UA letting them use the support space is the same set up as in Terminal 1.

Last edited by CO777DAL; Oct 8, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.