Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:18 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
United has decided to sit on their two gates at DAL and increase DAL-IAH to 12 daily ERJ-145's with 90 minute turns (that's long enough to turn an international widebody flight). No wonder UA is such a piss poor airline. Dumping rj's to prevent another airline from flying to ATL is downright childish.
Isn't it really the fault of the airport for not expanding gates to meet demand? And shouldn't DOJ get some of the blame for forcing AA to send its gates to virgin? UA seems like it is just taking advantage of the silliness of a couple of govt agencies.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I don't know what is the minds of UA or DL, but is it possible that UA figured out that 90-minute turnarounds would mean more full planes whereas more frequency might mean not as full, rather than attacks on DL or Virgin? Also, doesn't DL own much of Virgin America?

Added: I have chastized about not knowing the various Virgins, which, to me, are confusing rather than having one airline, but Sir Branson is richer than I, so ..... I was wrong above.

Last edited by relangford; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:06 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EZE
Isn't it really the fault of the airport for not expanding gates to meet demand? And shouldn't DOJ get some of the blame for forcing AA to send its gates to virgin? UA seems like it is just taking advantage of the silliness of a couple of govt agencies.
Yes, very much so. The politicians artificially restricted DAL to 20 gates when it could have been built much bigger. DAL, LGA, and DCA are all anti-competitive with their artificial restrictions.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by LBJ
But Dallas is AA turf. Seems like UA is actually protecting AA from DL.
DFW is AA turf. They don't fly in/out of DAL. Only WN, DL and UA are in DAL. (There may be another small airline, too.)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
UA is just going back to a better schedule. They can run 12 flights a day between DAL-IAH, fill them up, and get a good yield too. During the week morning flights are full of businessmen going between the two cities.
There has not been anything to prevent UA from already running those flights, so it seems rather obvious that UA is gate squatting. Doesn't make any sense to run these uneconomic ERJs when UA is struggling for profitably.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6192548/

Me, if I were Jeffy $misek and I was doing battle with WN in most of my major hubs, I think I'd be happy to let the widget try to bleed WN a bit.

Originally Posted by relangford
Also, doesn't DL own much of Virgin America?
Delta owns 0% of Virgin America, it is financially independent of Virgin Atlantic.

David
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by relangford
I don't know what is the minds of UA or DL, but is it possible that UA figured out that 90-minute turnarounds would mean more full planes whereas more frequency might mean not as full, rather than attacks on DL or Virgin? Also, doesn't DL own much of Virgin America?
DL owns 0% of Virgin America. They own 49% of Virgin Atlantic.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:56 pm

Getting caught up in pissing contest isn't good for anyone.
This is business, not sentimentality or philanthropy. If DL actually wanted those slots, and I am not certain that you know one way or another, they and UA could probably make a deal.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
This is business, not sentimentality or philanthropy. If DL actually wanted those slots, and I am not certain that you know one way or another, they and UA could probably make a deal.
Huh? DL and Seaport were willing to pay the lease for the extra UA gate. DL wasn't thinking they would just get free use of it. Instead UA has decided to park a regional jet at the gate for an hour and half. How efficient.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Huh? DL and Seaport were willing to pay the lease for the extra UA gate. DL wasn't thinking they would just get free use of it. Instead UA has decided to park a regional jet at the gate for an hour and half. How efficient.
Why would UA park an RJ there when the gate is already theirs to begin with? There is nothing that would force UA to sublease to DL or anyone else. I guess having a plane there makes their case better if there were some sort of legal challenge? If it did go to court, it would be very easy to show that an RJ on a 90-minute turn is essentially the same thing as leaving the gate empty and shows just as much opposition to competition.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The airport makes money on take off and landings as well as leasing out the gates? Correct?

If so, what UA is pulling costs DAL (Airport) money. Why not just park a plane at one gate 24/7. Perhaps UA can find an old 727 they retired back in the 80's. Or they could park a 747 and turn it into a hotel (if the runway is long enough to land).

This airport should have been leveled the day DFW opened - like Denver. Now one carrier WN controls 80% or more of the flts. Sounds fair to me.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Why not just park a plane at one gate 24/7. Perhaps UA can find an old 727...
This should be no problem, DL has plenty. I am sure UA can borrow one!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Doubt Delta will sit back and lick their wounds... I'd like to see ORD to LAX started up, hourly flights on the 717 will send a message.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
DL owns 0% of Virgin America. They own 49% of Virgin Atlantic.
I stand corrected. I just get all those Virgin companies confused about ownership of the parts.
This airport should have been leveled the day DFW opened
DAL is convenient to some folks. My U.S. home is north of Dallas (in Corinth), but there are people from south of town who find DAL convenient. Dallas is large enough for two airports - heck, adding Fort Worth Alliance as a "real" commercial airport has some advantages for growth to the west.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Doubt Delta will sit back and lick their wounds... I'd like to see ORD to LAX started up, hourly flights on the 717 will send a message.
+1

DL or more NW was legendary for running competitors into the ground when they had someone playing games with them. So I will not be surprised if they pick one of UA's cash cow routes and provide cheap fares and high frequency on bigger aircraft. Cant hardly wait for it
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
This should be no problem, DL has plenty. I am sure UA can borrow one!
Well UA has a little rust building up in desert as well.

I can see LAX-ORD, LAX-DEN picking up some steam with DL.

When ValueJet (now WN) started LAS-ATL and LAX-ATL - DL doubled down. DL won. (DL went from 4-5 flts a day to 8-9).

DL used to handle Sun Country in LAS - after the merge with NW - DL bailed - ending the contract. Don't give DL service to Sun Country, I guess.

I love the fighting - it brings prices down! Win-win for me!

What UA is pulling at DAL is a complete joke. Where are the FED's on this.

90 min turn on a 50 seat RJ? Come on man! Hate to say it, but this is not Texas Think.... It is Chicago think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.