Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
90 min turn on a 50 seat RJ? Come on man! Hate to say it, but this is not Texas Think.... It is Chicago think.
We are two pages in but someone besides me finally gets it! ^

You can turn a full 747 in 90 minutes! An rj needs 20-25 minutes max.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
90 minutes is about perfect for a CRJ turn. Cushions some of the blow when those damnable fun sized planes break down as they seem to do so well.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
It's strictly business...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Was on a CRJ today that turned in 15
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by relangford
Also, doesn't DL own much of Virgin America?
Much? No. Zilch would be more like it.

What made you think this was even the case?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jspira
Much? No. Zilch would be more like it.

What made you think this was even the case?
In his defense, it's hard to keep all the Virgins straight.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
With the on time performance of UAs RJs being as bad as it is, a 90 minute scheduled ground time might give them a chance to depart DAL on schedule. 30 minute turns, or even 15 minute turns, are not a great deal of help in keeping an on time schedule if the inbound flight is perpetually running 60 minutes behind schedule.

These maneuvers should probably be viewed more as an effort by UA to effectively compete with Southwest in the DAL to Houston market than about anything UA is doing to DL.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
In his defense, it's hard to keep all the Virgins straight.
I love keeping all the Virgins straight.

If it takes UA 90 mins to turn a 50 seat RJ - Good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
United has decided to sit on their two gates at DAL and increase DAL-IAH to 12 daily ERJ-145's with 90 minute turns (that's long enough to turn an international widebody flight).
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also run the risk of being seen as anti-competitive. If there's no good sound financial reason for the lengthy ground times.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You think 90 minute turns on a 50 seat jet is efficient? LMAO
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
There is nothing that would force UA to sublease to DL or anyone else. I guess having a plane there makes their case better if there were some sort of legal challenge? If it did go to court, it would be very easy to show that an RJ on a 90-minute turn is essentially the same thing as leaving the gate empty and shows just as much opposition to competition.
If UA/XJT wants the plane to sit, the plane can sit. You guys fail to see that DL parks CRJs at hubs for an hour or so. I've seen it in DTW where the last flight to home was already at the gate while I was boarding the afternoon flight! Heck, last winter they parked an RJ at our outstation for about 75 minutes during the week, every day. It's called padding your schedule. It allows you to be able to absorb delays, so it can run an ON-TIME operation. Also, see below. These people get it.

Originally Posted by javabytes
90 minutes is about perfect for a CRJ turn. Cushions some of the blow when those damnable fun sized planes break down as they seem to do so well.
Originally Posted by Tamino
With the on time performance of UAs RJs being as bad as it is, a 90 minute scheduled ground time might give them a chance to depart DAL on schedule. 30 minute turns, or even 15 minute turns, are not a great deal of help in keeping an on time schedule if the inbound flight is perpetually running 60 minutes behind schedule.

Additionally --

Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
Was on a CRJ today that turned in 15
Yeah, but those are painful to do if you're full in and full out unless you've got rampers falling over each other. Also, pray nobody pink-tagged a bag. I did a 10 minute turn on an ERJ145 once. 35 off, 10 on.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Starblazer
If UA/XJT wants the plane to sit, the plane can sit. You guys fail to see that DL parks CRJs at hubs for an hour or so.
DAL is an out station - not a hub. A 50 seat RJ should turn in 30 mins. UA is simply playing games. It is tying up two gates for one reason - to be a jerk.

More power to UA. I'm sure the brilliant minds in the Ivory tower in Chicago have more secret tricks up their sleeve. Perhaps they should start on how to reach profits like their peers.

Perhaps Alligiant will move into UA's turf. I know (the new) Frontier is.

DAL (airport) means very little to DL, UA or AA. It is an option for business flyers that do want to take WN. That's it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:20 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
It's an interesting move for UA, more power to 'em.

But seriously...a turn time at UA for a 70 seater is 29 minutes...and when I worked there we frequently did turns in 22-23. 30 is a breeze, anything over that was an absolute luxury.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Starblazer
If UA/XJT wants the plane to sit, the plane can sit. You guys fail to see that DL parks CRJs at hubs for an hour or so. I've seen it in DTW where the last flight to home was already at the gate while I was boarding the afternoon flight! Heck, last winter they parked an RJ at our outstation for about 75 minutes during the week, every day. It's called padding your schedule. It allows you to be able to absorb delays, so it can run an ON-TIME operation. Also, see below. These people get it.
I don't think you "got" my point. As I said, there is nothing that requires UA to sublease these gates to anyone (that I know of anyway). I agree, just let the jets sit. I was simply offering a possible explanation as to why they would schedule 90 min turns vs. letting the gate sit empty (to look better in a legal challenge). You and the others who "get" it have offered another explanation: schedule padding for on-time purposes. It seems an easy hypothesis to test, let's look at other UA outstations to see if ERJ turn times have been increased to 90 minutes. My search is not exhaustive, but in the few places I looked I'm still seeing the "normal" 30 minute turn times.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
As I said, there is nothing that requires UA to sublease these gates to anyone (that I know of anyway).
That would be true if UA had an "exclusive-use" lease on their gates, but they don't. All the gates at Love Field are leased on a preferential-use basis and each of those leases has a scarce resources provision.

In this case, UA is the Lessee and DL is the requesting airline. If the city determines that UA's gates are not being fully utilized, the airport director could then require the Lessee (UA) to accommodate the requesting airline (DL) by sharing a portion of its Terminal Lease Area subject to the following conditions:

1. In case of a conflict between schedules of Lessee and the requesting airline, the Lessee shall have preferential use of its personnel and its Terminal Lease Area.

2. Lessee agrees that if requested to accommodate another carrier, pursuant to this paragraph, it will use its good faith efforts to effect such accommodation in a reasonable and equitable manner.

By increasing their turn times from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, UA has pretty much ensured that there will always be a conflict of schedules between them and DL, and as the Lessee, UA can keep DL out.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
That would be true if UA had an "exclusive-use" lease on their gates, but they don't. All the gates at Love Field are leased on a preferential-use basis and each of those leases has a scarce resources provision.

In this case, UA is the Lessee and DL is the requesting airline. If the city determines that UA's gates are not being fully utilized, the airport director could then require the Lessee (UA) to accommodate the requesting airline (DL) by sharing a portion of its Terminal Lease Area subject to the following conditions:

1. In case of a conflict between schedules of Lessee and the requesting airline, the Lessee shall have preferential use of its personnel and its Terminal Lease Area.

2. Lessee agrees that if requested to accommodate another carrier, pursuant to this paragraph, it will use its good faith efforts to effect such accommodation in a reasonable and equitable manner.

By increasing their turn times from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, UA has pretty much ensured that there will always be a conflict of schedules between them and DL, and as the Lessee, UA can keep DL out.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I was unaware of the specific language and shouldn't have made such broad assumptions.

Obviously, this new padded schedule was sufficient to convince the City Manager & Attorneys that they could not accommodate Delta according to the above quoted lease agreement clause, but would it convince a judge?

Also, what is the required turn time of a 717? 40 min? They could tow the UA ERJ to a remote stand, turn a DL 717, tow the ERJ back, and still have an on-time UA flight with 90-minute turns. It would get ugly with delays, I agree. However, if UA were turning over a new on-time leaf we would see this increased turn time at other outstations.

We'll see if Delta really cares about DAL if they decide to pursue this further...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I could understand if Delta was flying on competing routes with UA (DAL - IAH) but they are not. They are flying a non competitive route to ATL. This is total BS and childish by UA. Waiting for the day DL announces 6x daily ORD to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.