Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Plays Dirty and Kicks Delta Out of Dallas-Love

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Getting caught up in pissing contest isn't good for anyone.
It's good for sanitation workers.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
In his defense, it's hard to keep all the Virgins straight.
It sure is hard for me!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
In his defense, it's hard to keep all the Virgins straight.
We haven't got to the 72 Virgins yet have we?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
The only thing childish here is DL wanting to waltz into DAL and take the fruits of the labor while others have served DAL for much longer periods when the airport was meaningless and rode through the good times and bad.

DL had a history of abandoning the Metroplex in a heartbeat by dehubbing DFW. Why would City of Dallas give them any Love ? (pun intended)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
What an amazing collection of Delta-centric comments.

1) United should not give a fig about Delta's competitive strategy; nor should it except insofar as United is concerned.

2) IAH is a United hub and Dallas is an important business market as is Houston. If United wants to offer 12 daily departures to its hub using ERJs/ CRJs, so what. The audacity of those who second-guess is amazing,

3) As other's have observed, WN is a competitor to United at a number of hubs. Why would United not advance it's own business interests?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hazelrah

1) United should not give a fig about Delta's competitive strategy; nor should it except insofar as United is concerned.

2) IAH is a United hub and Dallas is an important business market as is Houston. If United wants to offer 12 daily departures to its hub using ERJs/ CRJs, so what. The audacity of those who second-guess is amazing,

3) As other's have observed, WN is a competitor to United at a number of hubs. Why would United not advance it's own business interests?
This.

Not to mention LOL @ the thread title... UA "playing dirty." Ask AS, KE, AF and KL if DL "plays nice?"
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:22 am

More regional jets. Another change I didn't like and one of the major reasons I moved all my travel away from United.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Doubt Delta will sit back and lick their wounds... I'd like to see ORD to LAX started up, hourly flights on the 717 will send a message.
Enter into a market with 4 established carriers, two with major hubs on both ends, most of them offering better products than DLs 717s which don't have the range to accomplish the flight without a tech stop anyway? That would send a message of complete stupidity and extremely poor planning.

If DL were really interested in DAL I imagine they would have secured the necessary gates long ago. DAL is a dump anyway, I've never seen the appeal of it over DFW except for maybe certain O/D traffic. Even then, DFW has far better passenger services with the Centurion Lounge alone being enough for me to take the extra drive out there.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I could care less whether UA sits on the gates or not. I doubt it is maximizing shareholder value to do it, but I'm not a UA shareholder.

However, I'm not a fan of the government creating scarcity (in this case gates) and then picking and choosing who benefits. The issue isn't UA, but the sweetheart position that WN was handed.

The gates are a public resource and should be treated as such. My proposal would be to have gate slots leased for a limited period (maybe 2 years), and after that time, they are auctioned again to the highest bidder. I think they should do the same at DCA, EWR, LGA, and JFK too. You could stagger the auctions so that operators wouldn't lose all slots overnight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.

Agreed. It's ironic that DL is miffed that another airline is not playing nice.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Enter into a market with 4 established carriers, two with major hubs on both ends, most of them offering better products than DLs 717s which don't have the range to accomplish the flight without a tech stop anyway? That would send a message of complete stupidity and extremely poor planning.

If DL were really interested in DAL I imagine they would have secured the necessary gates long ago. DAL is a dump anyway, I've never seen the appeal of it over DFW except for maybe certain O/D traffic. Even then, DFW has far better passenger services with the Centurion Lounge alone being enough for me to take the extra drive out there.
I would say time is the biggest bonus of Love. Last time I flew out, I parked The Parking Spot. From driving through the entrance gate at the parking lot, to being at my departure gate in the airport was within 15 minutes. DFW is a good airport, and relatively well laid out, but it's just so massive that it takes forever to get in.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I could understand if Delta was flying on competing routes with UA (DAL - IAH) but they are not. They are flying a non competitive route to ATL. This is total BS and childish by UA. Waiting for the day DL announces 6x daily ORD to LAX.
I doubt if DL would start something so stupid over a minor irrelevant matter. ATL-DAL is not a route to fight for, especially they have numerous flights to DFW. For UA, Dallas area is a big market, most of the DAL flights are nearly full. If they start 6x daily to ORD, then fine, but DL would be big loser, as AA, UA and other airlines also fly this route. I am glad that DOJ did not give any gates to DL.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
This is just the beginning of manuverings to further amend the Wright Amendment Repeal legislation. Everyone has a role. And everyone is playing their roll so far.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS

Well, it is the DL forum. But I agree with your points 100%.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:39 am

Last night I could book ATL-DAL for April 2015. Now I can't.

I thought DL was looking at options? Why stop bookings until they are out of options?

ExpressJet is running ATL-DFW for Delta. What does this mean for DFW? Would that go mainline? What's going to happen with the 717s?

Last edited by chrischeung; Sep 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.