Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tardyturtle
This wiki is intended to contain a list of opportunities to fly internationally configured wide-body aircraft within the United States, aside from the usual JFK-LAX/SFO 767s and newer domestic DeltaOne routes. This is a collaborative wiki, not an OP-maintained thread; please contribute by editing the wiki directly as you become aware of regularly scheduled or repositioning flights. Schedules change far more frequently than community members have time to update this wiki; therefore please verify the equipment before purchasing a flight.

Airbus A350
None at the moment

Airbus A330-900
DL308 JFK-SEA dep 7:00am arr 10:05am (as of June 5 2021)
DL327 SEA-JFK dep 11:45am arr 8:25pm (as of June 5 2021)

Airbus A330-300
DL44 ATL-JFK dep 12:15p arr 2:31p (as of Oct. 26)
DL45 JFK-ATL dep 3:20p arr 5:50p (as of Oct. 26)

Airbus A330-200
None at the moment

Boeing 767-400ER
ATL-MCO (multiple options in Dec.)
MCO-ATL (multiple options in Dec.)
DL355 ATL-SEA dep 9:40a arr 12:05p (as of Oct. 26)
DL364 SEA-ATL dep 1:36p arr 9:15p (as of Oct. 26)
DL858 ATL-SLC dep 10:01a arr 12:04p (as of Oct. 26)
DL906 SLC-ATL dep 1:55p arr 7:28p (as of Oct. 26)

Boeing 767-300ER
JFK-LAX (majority of flights)
LAX-JFK (majority of flights)
ATL-LAS (three daily flights as of Oct. 26)
LAS-ATL (three daily flights as of Oct. 26)
ATL-MCO (multiple options through Jan.)
MCO-ATL (multiple options through Jan.)
DL1999 ATL-FLL dep 9:40a arr 11:30a (as of Oct. 26)
DL1999 FLL-ATL dep 12:55p arr 2:44p (as of Oct. 26)
DL426 ATL-JFK dep 9:52p arr 12:05a (as of Oct. 26) - certain dates operated by a 764
DL424 JFK-ATL dep 6:10a arr 8:34a (as of Oct. 26) - certain dates operated by a 764
DL1997 ATL-MIA dep 4:29p arr 6:17p (as of Oct. 26)
DL1997 MIA-ATL dep 7:45p arr 9:35p (as of Oct. 26)
DL2020 ATL-TPA dep 6:05p arr 7:32p (as of Oct. 26)
DL1536 TPA-ATL dep 8:10a arr 9:39a (as of Oct. 26)

Boeing 757-200 w/ 16 flat-bed seats
These international narrowbodies would normally also fly the domestic DeltaOne routes JFK-LAX/SFO, BOS-LAX, and DCA-LAX.

During COVID-19, when many international routes are suspended, they can be found on some domestic routes (including Hawai'i):

Regular service through March 2021:
JFK-LAS
JFK-PHX
JFK-SAN
JFK-SEA
JFK-SFO
JFK-SLC
LAX-KOA
SEA-KOA
SEA-OGG

Positioning / one-offs:
SLC-SEA
SLC-LAS
SLC-BOS 4x a week
BOS-LAX
JFK-MEX
JFK-SJU
LAX-HNL

one way to search for these on ITA

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Try this as both the origin and destination on ITA. I used the hubs and frequent destinations for widebodies, but you could put in whatever airports you're interested in.

ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, LAX, SLC, JFK, SFO :: dl / aircraft t:777 t:747 t:330 t:76z t:76l t:76t t:764
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Unfortunately, the above doesn't work for 767s. Use this instead:

ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, LAX, SLC, JFK, SFO :: dl / aircraft t:777 t:747 t:330 t:767
This Delta Cargo schedule lists wide body routes by region.

Looks like the A350 is running between LAX and ATL, Sunday only Red-Eye to ATL, Monday evening only return to LAX. Through Sept. 6th

Print Wikipost

Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:41 am

Can someone confirm me and then add to the wiki

Looks like BOS-SLC DL601 starting 4/3 goes 764 and the return DL2768 starting 4/2.

I presume to serve one of the European routes?

Also in the wiki: BOS-SFO is no longer D1, but LAX is.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I discovered by accident that there's a 777 on the 7:35 pm ATL-MSP flight DL952 some days of the week. [this seemed to be Friday and Monday but not Saturday/Sunday.] The rotation seems to be that it arrives from NRT into ATL, goes to MSP in the evening, and (according to my FA) is used for the MSP-CDG nonstop.

A further bonus which isn't indicated in the schedule is that for my flight a reconfigured aircraft was used, so we had suites in FC and not just the flat beds shown on the schedule and itinerary. The PS cabin was sold as C+. I don't know whether the aircraft had genuine C+ seating also, but I did notice on the EF seatmaps that there were an awful lot of rows of preferred coach seats.

strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I discovered by accident that there's a 777 on the 7:35 pm ATL-MSP flight DL952 some days of the week. [this seemed to be Friday and Monday but not Saturday/Sunday.] The rotation seems to be that it arrives from NRT into ATL, goes to MSP in the evening, and (according to my FA) is used for the MSP-CDG nonstop.

A further bonus which isn't indicated in the schedule is that for my flight a reconfigured aircraft was used, so we had suites in FC and not just the flat beds shown on the schedule and itinerary. The PS cabin was sold as C+. I don't know whether the aircraft had genuine C+ seating also, but I did notice on the EF seatmaps that there were an awful lot of rows of preferred coach seats.
Was C+ upgrade inventory available at booking for PMs/DMs? I’m curious on that one and if PMs/DMs can select the PS seats in advance as C+ or if the seats all get held back until the gate.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Recently saw this on LAX-ATL too.

The seats marked preferred coach/main cabin seats are the international C+ seats (well, also domestic C+ seats, but because PS is sold as C+ on this configuration domestically, I guess the actual C+ all becomes preferred.

Which is funny because I wonder if the actual PS seats alone get free booze or if the C+ marked seats yet on the seat map as preferred seats do or don't
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I think it normally goes onto HND from MSP. Thus it should always be a reconfigured 777.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think it normally goes onto HND from MSP. Thus it should always be a reconfigured 777.
That would make more sense than CDG as I'd be surprised that DL would want to park a 777 for so long, although it might be cheaper to park it at MSP rather than ATL.

I don't pay much attention to the HNL routes, but I guess that this would be shoulder season, so not operating it daily (or not using a big plane every day) would make some sense, although I would have expected weekends to be the big demand days tour travel on the HNL routes.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Was C+ upgrade inventory available at booking for PMs/DMs? I’m curious on that one and if PMs/DMs can select the PS seats in advance as C+ or if the seats all get held back until the gate.
I don't know as I didn't follow inventory until a day or two before the flight when I accidentally discovered this possibility. However I can tell you that it was W9 but went to the gate with only about three C+ "upgrades" and every seat was filled, with about a half dozen standbys left behind (with two later flights ATL-MSP) according to the upgrade and standby lists. There were no gate upgrades into FC with 60-65 on the FC upgrade list, so it would have been an elite heavy flight.

My *guess* from the evidence I saw is that DL did do free elite upgrades into the PS seats marketed as C+. The seat maps on EF, however, seemed to mark an awful lot of rows as preferred seats, so if that was right, "preferred" would have included all of the genuine C+ seats on the 777 and at least several more rows.

Another "guess" is that DL wasn't sure until quite late which version of the 777 would be flying this route last night. [A FA told me that the suites version of the 777 was new or infrequent on the NRT-ATL route, but I'm not sure I believe this as I would expect DL to use the best possible aircraft on such a prime/flagship business route.]
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Recently saw this on LAX-ATL too.

The seats marked preferred coach/main cabin seats are the international C+ seats (well, also domestic C+ seats, but because PS is sold as C+ on this configuration domestically, I guess the actual C+ all becomes preferred.

Which is funny because I wonder if the actual PS seats alone get free booze or if the C+ marked seats yet on the seat map as preferred seats do or don't
I don’t know for sure, but I would assume it’s how the seats are marketed - that is, the PS seats that are sold as C+ get free booze, but the actual C+ that are sold as just preferred Y don’t.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by strickerj

I don’t know for sure, but I would assume it’s how the seats are marketed - that is, the PS seats that are sold as C+ get free booze, but the actual C+ that are sold as just preferred Y don’t.
Would be confusing to do that, as C+ is still labeled as C+ on the plane.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I get that there are probably more concrete service differences between Y and C+ versus F and J, but it is no more confusing than the Delta One seats (which have Delta One logos on them) being marketed and serviced as First Class.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Over the next few years, domestic scheduled WB's are losing F seats as more refurbished planes come on-line.
The first regularly scheduled domestic widebody with suites debuts daily this month on LAX-ATL-LAX.
Having taken this flight many times in the past, it has been a nearly impossible complimentary upgrade when there were 36 seats, and now there are only 28 seats in F/J.
Last year I applied a RUC and was 7th on the UG list for 1 seat for that flight on a Friday evening ATL-LAX. (Yes, I called the DM line twice and it was applied correctly)

And DL often charges more for cash F on these flights in advance, only to equalize the fares with the neighboring flights if demand underperforms. But it fills up with paid F (Hollywood-Atlanta connection) or SDC's with paid F on other flights prior to the 24 hour window as well as other mis-connects from earlier in the day.

WFBF is going to be the rule as more domestic flights with suites come online. The second regular 7CB domestic flight will be LAX-JFK-LAX rotation between LAX-HND/PVG and the JFK-BOM flight that starts in December.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Over the next few years, domestic scheduled WB's are losing F seats as more refurbished planes come on-line.
The first regularly scheduled domestic widebody with suites debuts daily this month on LAX-ATL-LAX.
Having taken this flight many times in the past, it has been a nearly impossible complimentary upgrade when there were 36 seats, and now there are only 28 seats in F/J.
Last year I applied a RUC and was 7th on the UG list for 1 seat for that flight on a Friday evening ATL-LAX. (Yes, I called the DM line twice and it was applied correctly)

And DL often charges more for cash F on these flights in advance, only to equalize the fares with the neighboring flights if demand underperforms. But it fills up with paid F (Hollywood-Atlanta connection) or SDC's with paid F on other flights prior to the 24 hour window as well as other mis-connects from earlier in the day.

WFBF is going to be the rule as more domestic flights with suites come online. The second regular 7CB domestic flight will be LAX-JFK-LAX rotation between LAX-HND/PVG and the JFK-BOM flight that starts in December.
I'm actually not so sure how much this will impact upgrades on this flight unless RUCs regularly clear before day of departure on this route. Delta will manage pricing on the tickets to demand such that they will still average 1-2 seats available T-24 hours. More seats? Lower pricing (esp. on connecting flights) to fill them.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
True, but Delta seems to always be rebranding things - I imagine the few passengers who would even notice are used to it.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1x/week 764 ATL<-->SEA in July

Wednesdays, 10 Jul thru 7 Aug:
ATL-SEA DL967 lv 935am ar 1213pm
SEA-ATL DL436 lv 145pm ar 944pm

kind of surprising since Wed isn't a big cruise ship day in Seattle
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Typically, when do the winter wide-body additions get added to the schedule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.