FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread
Old May 1, 2019, 10:22 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Over the next few years, domestic scheduled WB's are losing F seats as more refurbished planes come on-line.
The first regularly scheduled domestic widebody with suites debuts daily this month on LAX-ATL-LAX.
Having taken this flight many times in the past, it has been a nearly impossible complimentary upgrade when there were 36 seats, and now there are only 28 seats in F/J.
Last year I applied a RUC and was 7th on the UG list for 1 seat for that flight on a Friday evening ATL-LAX. (Yes, I called the DM line twice and it was applied correctly)

And DL often charges more for cash F on these flights in advance, only to equalize the fares with the neighboring flights if demand underperforms. But it fills up with paid F (Hollywood-Atlanta connection) or SDC's with paid F on other flights prior to the 24 hour window as well as other mis-connects from earlier in the day.

WFBF is going to be the rule as more domestic flights with suites come online. The second regular 7CB domestic flight will be LAX-JFK-LAX rotation between LAX-HND/PVG and the JFK-BOM flight that starts in December.
I'm actually not so sure how much this will impact upgrades on this flight unless RUCs regularly clear before day of departure on this route. Delta will manage pricing on the tickets to demand such that they will still average 1-2 seats available T-24 hours. More seats? Lower pricing (esp. on connecting flights) to fill them.