Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Jeez, is that matrix complicated!
It's not complicated at all. Y fares, then Medallion status, then Reserve Card, then fare class, then when when requested.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by indufan
It's not complicated at all. Y fares, then Medallion status, then Reserve Card, then fare class, then when when requested.
It is complicated for many. The OP just demonstrated it's pretty common folks have no idea of the priority. Most folks dont follow how the rules work like the average flyer talker.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
Isn't the credit card used as a tie breaker within fare class? Fare class should be before the credit card.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by grahampros
It is complicated for many. The OP just demonstrated it's pretty common folks have no idea of the priority. Most folks dont follow how the rules work like the average flyer talker.
Ignorance is not necessarily a sign of complexity. It's more that the rules aren't officially published so people make up and spread falsehoods.

It's not dead simple, but little in this world is.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by roknroll
Isn't the credit card used as a tie breaker within fare class? Fare class should be before the credit card.
Correct.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by mattsteg
Ignorance is not necessarily a sign of complexity. It's more that the rules aren't officially published so people make up and spread falsehoods.

It's not dead simple, but little in this world is.
Correct, people make up of all kinds of stuff. I have some funny memories over the years at the gate etc where folks were speculating about their chance of an upgrade etc. I generally dont even bother much anymore in most situations and just buy the instant upgrades. So little over Y it's a no brainier for me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
However, his DYKWIA attitude is a different story, for another day...
Well, give!

Here or in the appropriate thread.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by roknroll
Yes, that is correct. My mistake.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I thought Shena trumps all fares/elites?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
DYKWIA...

DM overheard me chatting with an associate about how I, as a lowly Silver, was suprised and pleased to have been upgraded on such a full flight. DM walked over, and asked why I thought I "deserved to sit in 1st", while he was going to be in coach. I apologized for the fact that I didn't have control over the situation, and had no idea why I was upgraded ahead of him. He then offered me a whole $50 for my seat. I kindly declined. At this point he decided to direct his frustration at the GA, who clearly did not deserve his wrath.

(during his tantrum is when I was misinformed re: upgrade policy)

I won't go into more detail, but he was clearly very important, and wanted everyone, including the GA, to know that Silvers were only slighty higher life forms than pond scum.

Needless to say, I gave him a raise of my glass (vodka & club) when he boarded. Is that wrong?

Originally Posted by sethb
Well, give!

Here or in the appropriate thread.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
to the OP;

Depending on when the 250 bonus MQM's are credited, you might not make DM. For example, if the 250 MQM credit is not given until 2013, then your SOL to make Diamond. So, if you get the MQM bonus credited to your account 1/1/13 and beyond then your going to have an almost 50,000 MQM roll over.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
to the OP;

Depending on when the 250 bonus MQM's are credited, you might not make DM. For example, if the 250 MQM credit is not given until 2013, then your SOL to make Diamond. So, if you get the MQM bonus credited to your account 1/1/13 and beyond then your going to have an almost 50,000 MQM roll over.
A lot depends on the T&C of the Hilton promo. Miles from DL and AmEx can arrive in your account later, but be labeled so that they count as miles from the previous year, for better or worse. For miles from partners, it's not so clear, although you might be able to argue with DL that they should count as 2013 for you, depending on the rules for your promo. If they clearly should have posted in 2012 and you want them to count for 2012, I would think you could get DL to make it so, but if it's ambiguous when they should post, you probably can't do anything. YMMV.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:50 am

Diamond vs. Platinum

I've been platinum for many years, and never saw enough value in going for Diamond...

My question is... Do Diamonds get better business class award availability (tickets, not upgrades) at lower levels, as opposed to Platinum?

If so, then it might be worth it........
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by taveller
I've been platinum for many years, and never saw enough value in going for Diamond...

My question is... Do Diamonds get better business class award availability (tickets, not upgrades) at lower levels, as opposed to Platinum?

If so, then it might be worth it........
Nope...

I don't believe any medallion gets better availability on business awards (just coach)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct, the published benefit is better domestic Y availability. Unknown if it is actually better for F/J, but I haven't noticed. Its possible with the new inventory buckets if something is screwed up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.