Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
If you don't like free sky club membership, much higher UG % and additional miles, by all means stay PM.

I wish I had $1 for every time this thread is started.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
Another Platinum vs. Diamond Question

Recently Moved to MFR this year. I could qualify for Diamond if I want, or I could stop 5k short and have almost 45k rollover miles.

I typically fly MFR-SLC and get upgraded as a Plat 95% of the time. I get upgraded about 80% of the time out of SLC. WHen I fly into PDX, I get upgraded about 75% of the time.

What are the true benefits of me getting the Diamond -- I get the club paid for already, and I am wondering if it is really worth trying to go for it. Next year I will not hit the 125k, but somewhere between 60 and 80k.

One other question -- as a diamond, how often do people get upgraded on either SEA-JFK or LAX-JFK?

Any thoughts are appreciated
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normal advice would be that if you're happy with upgrade stats, stay at PM and keep rollover. However, next year starts the MQD requirement in addition to MQM or MQS, so if your spend won't be high enough, the additional MQMs won't matter. You need to accurately predict your 2014 MQDs according to the future DL rules before making a decision.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I agree with MSP. The MQDs throw a wrench into the conversation. Of course, if you have a DL Amex card and spend $25K on it, then you won't have to worry about the MQDs. As stated, if you are happy with your upgrade percentage, then I would stick with PM.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
And if it is a choice between one year of DM and one of GM versus two years of PM, I'd go with the PM.

I haven't done LAX-JFK this year, but in the past I had very good luck, but I mostly flew off times (always connecting in JFK to/from Europe so LAX-JFK was mid morning and JFK-LAX mid to late afternoon -- usually mid week)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
If you feel comfortable meeting MQD for PM next year, rolling over 45k might be a good choice.

Personally, ain't no way I will give DL large rollover until I can better gauge the "full" impact of MQD's and whatever else DL Corp decides to pull on FF's.

For that reason, I think best to hit DM this year and start with as little rollover as possible. I can crank my annual flights up/down easily so starting with little rollover will ensure me a better chance of at least reaching PM and MQD's the following year. That is if I'm still "trusting" DL Corp enough to play FFP.

Most likely, I'll just status match and enjoy better schedules and less corp bean counter BS sometime next year.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fred 3
One other question -- as a diamond, how often do people get upgraded on either SEA-JFK or LAX-JFK
I can't say as a DM, but as a GM, I am about 25% on SEA-JFK and 0% on LAX-JFK. My DM friends report getting the UG pretty consistently on SEA-JFK, but I think LAX-JFK is always going to be hit or miss depending on the day. It seems that both routes are BFUG only, and both very heavy on DMs. As always, YMMV
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
I held at PM for two years before making the push to DM at the end of last year. I am at a 95%+ upgrade rate this year with my only misses being on an A320 from DTW to ATL (2X). The recognition level and service level has been markedly better this year. Unfortunately I will drop back down to PM next year due to less international travel this year.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
What are the true benefits of me getting the Diamond -- I get the club paid for already, and I am wondering if it is really worth trying to go for it. Next year I will not hit the 125k, but somewhere between 60 and 80k.
Well, DM is much more than just SC membership. For some, the 125% RDM bonus helps to offset the otherwise usually high redemption costs for award travel. IMO, the Diamond line is generally excellent and when it comes to IROPS, you are at the top of the list. Oh, and you get a cowbell luggage tag.

That said, not sure I would push for Diamond, only to fall back to Gold the next year. Personally would prefer Plat-Plat but neither would be a wrong decision. With MQD beginning 1/14, many will have to look at their options a little closer.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Not sure either

This is a tough question. I've not been able to use my SWU this year. Never available flight (oh one! MSP to MSY but that's it). NEVER international. BUT UG's I'm sure better as DM than would have had as PM. I'm now planning on hitting 125K miles. What to try it another year. I may have migrated to AA as a LT PLT but they now are in chaos. UA does not work. So for me sticking with trying to again hit DM for UG's (domestic).
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I am facing a very similar situation as the OP and will be choosing to go PM-PM instead of DM-GM. For me, an important factor is maintaining free changes/cancellations on award tickets for as long as I can.

I don't think the incremental upgrade probability is a strong argument for going for DM since a higher DM upgrade percentage in 2014 would be offset by a lower GM upgrade percentage in 2015.

As an aside, MQD is not a factor for me since I will be waiving the requirement via Amex.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Diamond
One other question -- as a diamond, how often do people get upgraded on either SEA-JFK or LAX-JFK?
I can't speak on those exact routes, but I do LAX-ATL every week SUN-FRI. That being up there as far as a status packed bird, diamond has made a huge difference in upgrades. However, I agree with earlier replies that MQDs should be at the front of all of our minds when planning for 2015.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
Thank you all. I will make the MQD as I will be spending more than $25k, and with the price of tickets out of Medford, that is not the issue. The key is finding a way to get up to 75k next year, so that I can continue to have the plat benefits. If I make Diamond, it will probably be a 1 year only event.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bcj1949
This is a tough question. I've not been able to use my SWU this year. Never available flight (oh one! MSP to MSY but that's it). NEVER international. BUT UG's I'm sure better as DM than would have had as PM. I'm now planning on hitting 125K miles. What to try it another year. I may have migrated to AA as a LT PLT but they now are in chaos. UA does not work. So for me sticking with trying to again hit DM for UG's (domestic).
AA Plats are in chaos?? Please explain.

As for the OP's original question, I'd stick with Plat/Plat since you get most of the upgrades now.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
AA Plats are in chaos?? Please explain.
He is likely referring to the uncertainty around the US/AA merger and the future of AA's FF program. I don't think AA PLT flyers themselves are in chaos (though it does evoke funny imagery).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.