Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
IMO, the most important strategy is don't select time-sensitive CB's until you are ready to use them. For example, no reason to choose RUC's or GUC's now if you don't plan to use them for another six months.

All the time-sensitive CB's expire one year from the date you select them, not one year from the first time you use them.
Best Delta advise ever!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Trying to decide if I wanna go towards DM in October or roll over some 45.000 MQM and reach PM by March 2015. If I choose GUG as my CB in like June next year I have until June 2016 to use them? What happens if I don't re qualify for DM that year?

Since I fly mostly KLM/AF between South America and Europe I don't see me using the GUC since I never buy those more expensive fare classes. I do have some Delta flights planned for next year, that's why I'm thinking about choosing the GUC.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Mowcheeba
Trying to decide if I wanna go towards DM in October or roll over some 45.000 MQM and reach PM by March 2015. If I choose GUG as my CB in like June next year I have until June 2016 to use them? What happens if I don't re qualify for DM that year?

Since I fly mostly KLM/AF between South America and Europe I don't see me using the GUC since I never buy those more expensive fare classes. I do have some Delta flights planned for next year, that's why I'm thinking about choosing the GUC.
I have the same issue(Stay PM or go for DM) and at this point I've decided to go with the huge rollover. I expect my flying next year will put me at the PM level and by holding short of DM, my status level (PM) will be stable even if something(unexpected time off for illness) reduces my travel. Conversely, if I go for and make DM and then something causes my travel to slow, I may fall back to GM.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfish
I have the same issue(Stay PM or go for DM) and at this point I've decided to go with the huge rollover. I expect my flying next year will put me at the PM level and by holding short of DM, my status level (PM) will be stable even if something(unexpected time off for illness) reduces my travel. Conversely, if I go for and make DM and then something causes my travel to slow, I may fall back to GM.
As far as flying with other Skyteam partners it makes no big difference if you are PM or DM. For US residents flying mainly Delta it makes big difference it seems like. I sure like the idea of getting 4 GUC's to make a few of those long-haul flights a bit more comfortable.

To DM or not to DM, that is the question.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Best Delta advise ever!
Actually, I'll claim to have better advice:

Yes, wait until you need them, but don't forget to redeem before the expiration date.

(Some have posted here after having made that mistake. )
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Actually, I'll claim to have better advice:

Yes, wait until you need them, but don't forget to redeem before the expiration date.

(Some have posted here after having made that mistake. )
So, valid one year after you redeem the GUC? I can use them the year after even if I'm PM?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Mowcheeba
So, valid one year after you redeem the GUC? I can use them the year after even if I'm PM?
You get one year to use them (and they can be applied to a flight that takes place after that, provided they're applied early enough; at least, SWUs could. I don't know the rules about whether they'd need to clear in advance, they haven't been around long enough).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
You get one year to use them (and they can be applied to a flight that takes place after that, provided they're applied early enough; at least, SWUs could. I don't know the rules about whether they'd need to clear in advance, they haven't been around long enough).
IIRC, unlike SWUs, GUCs need to be flown within one year of having been chosen.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I'm currently PM and will finish the year with at least 105k MQM. Trying to decide if I should make a push for DM.

Regarding choice benefits, for DM it says choose two of:

4 Global / 8 Regional Upgrade Certificates
Luggage tags
2 Global Entry Application Voucher
25k bonus miles
Gifting Gold Medallion Status
Sky Club Executive Membership
6 SkyClub One-Day Passes
Gift Card

Do the two choices have to be different? For example, could I choose 4 Global Upgrade Certs with one choice, and another 4 Global Upgrade Certs with the other choice? Or could I choose to gift Gold Medallion Status with one choice and gifting Gold Medallion Status to someone else with the other choice?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I'm currently PM and will finish the year with at least 105k MQM. Trying to decide if I should make a push for DM.

Luggage tags
25k bonus miles
6 SkyClub One-Day Passes
Gift Card

Do the two choices have to be different? For example, could I choose 4 Global Upgrade Certs with one choice, and another 4 Global Upgrade Certs with the other choice? Or could I choose to gift Gold Medallion Status with one choice and gifting Gold Medallion Status to someone else with the other choice?
You only get 1 choice of 4 GUC, otherwise you can choose 8 RUC's not both.

So when you reach DM if you include your PM CB you can at most have either 12 RUC's (4 at PM, 8 at DM) or 4 RUC's and 4 GUCs .
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

Luggage tags
25k bonus miles
6 SkyClub One-Day Passes
Gift Card

Nope, can only choose one of each item, otherwise everyone here would be posting how they got 8 GUCs.

On a side note I have to laugh at some of the items in the list. Luggage tags? 2 GE Application Vouchers? A whole 6 SkyClub passes when right above it you can have SkyClub Executive Membership? I'm not one to call someone an idiot, but I'd have to say I'd be tempted to if they picked one of those.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope, can only choose one of each item, otherwise everyone here would be posting how they got 8 GUCs.

On a side note I have to laugh at some of the items in the list. Luggage tags? 2 GE Application Vouchers? A whole 6 SkyClub passes when right above it you can have SkyClub Executive Membership? I'm not one to call someone an idiot, but I'd have to say I'd be tempted to if they picked one of those.
Well the Executive membership is not outright, it is above the already comp'd Individual you get as a DM so it's real value is $145 right now (and $245 after March 1st 2015) whereas 6 club passes is worth $174 but can be used by anyone not just you.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Well the Executive membership is not outright, it is above the already comp'd Individual you get as a DM so it's real value is $145 right now (and $245 after March 1st 2015) whereas 6 club passes is worth $174 but can be used by anyone not just you.
It's only good as a selection after March 1st. However I can use the Executive membership to get guests in. Yes they have to be with me, but most people are going to be with their guest anyway.

Regardless though, it looks like they came up with two high value/wanted items and then decided they wanted it to look like you had a choice, so added a few pointless items. I'm sorry but someone picking luggage tags needs to be slapped with said tags when they arrive.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Once you reach PM and DM, how long before you can choose the benefits?

I reached DM in August 2014 and just wondering if there is a deadline for which you have to choose the benefits.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 141park
Once you reach PM and DM, how long before you can choose the benefits?

I reached DM in August 2014 and just wondering if there is a deadline for which you have to choose the benefits.

Thanks for the help.
Until the end of your DM program term (Jan 31, 2016 in your case). Note if you choose Gold Medallion status gift, the recipient will only have status through Jan 31, 2016 (regardless of when the gift is chosen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.