Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
thanks for the info....still not sure if i want to upgrade to either the plat or reserve card but the 2 extra rdms per dollar sways my decision to take the extra flight to get to diamond....

on another note, my last flight of the year will be on af from cdg-del on the 30th of december....this will probably post in the first week of 2016 but i assume it will count towards 2015????
If the scheduled departure local time is before midnight on NYE, it should count for 2015 regardless of when the flight posts.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
i currently have gold status with a mqm total of 73,265 to date....i have 2 more trips booked to the u.s. before the end of the year....the first one in a few weeks would net me 26,181 mqms & the second one in december would net me 25,522 mqms....this would give me a grand total of 124,968 thus leaving me 32 mqms short of diamond status....

given this information, would it be worth doing a mr to get me above the 125k requirement????it seems to me that the only real difference between platinum & diamond are the upgrades, which won't apply to me since i always book a first class fare to begin with....

thoughts????
Rather than a MR, would it be worth changing your routing in the US to get the extra miles?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
on another note, my last flight of the year will be on af from cdg-del on the 30th of december....this will probably post in the first week of 2016 but i assume it will count towards 2015????
If departure is this year, it counts for this year. (I believe that it's scheduled departure, so a flight scheduled for 11:30 PM December 31 but delayed for half an hour still counts for this year; but if it's canceled and you're rebooked it might not.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
If departure is this year, it counts for this year. (I believe that it's scheduled departure, so a flight scheduled for 11:30 PM December 31 but delayed for half an hour still counts for this year; but if it's canceled and you're rebooked it might not.)
If it's cancelled and you're rebooked, you should be able to request ORC but it's better not to count on that.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the scheduled departure local time is before midnight on NYE, it should count for 2015 regardless of when the flight posts.
sounds good....thanks again....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Rather than a MR, would it be worth changing your routing in the US to get the extra miles?
changing my routing changes the price by a few hundred dollars....adding an extra route only changes the price by $58....
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:29 am

Where did you find a flight for $58? Or was this just a segment added to a ticket rather than being a separate ticket?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

changing my routing changes the price by a few hundred dollars....adding an extra route only changes the price by $58....
You mean adding a segment? You have to fly it (so how do you get back / to where you need to be?)

I was actually thinking about trying to SDC for the US-only segments on your arrival flights. (I know the general belief here is that SDC is available only for international flights after all the international segments were flown, but that's based on experience with US-foreign-US tickets. I don't know if it applies to the end of each direction of travel, or only the final one.)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where did you find a flight for $58? Or was this just a segment added to a ticket rather than being a separate ticket?
both actually....adding a segment or buying a separate ticket was coming to the same amount....the only difference is that adding the extra segment books into first while buying a separate ticket is in economy....

lax-sfo on 16th december is available for $58.10....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 6, 2015 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean adding a segment? You have to fly it (so how do you get back / to where you need to be?)
i'm supposed to fly lax-phx as a segment on my multi city itinerary....but i can change that to lax-sfo-slc-phx for very little cost....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 6, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'm supposed to fly lax-phx as a segment on my multi city itinerary....but i can change that to lax-sfo-slc-phx for very little cost....
That's what I originally meant by "changing your routing".
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what I originally meant by "changing your routing".
i actually had to add lax-sfo as an extra segment....if i just tried changing my routing then the fare was changing by about $300....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.