Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Like a (golden) parachute?
Exactly!^
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta SM Platinum, HH Diamond Marriott Rewards Platinum, National Executive Elite
However, I'm still confused by the OP. Shouldn't one decide in advance whether one wants DM or PM with rollover and then act accordingly rather than asking the question while waiting for the MQMs to post that will irrevocably make one a DM?
OP was more curious than anything else. In my little circle of travel friends, I'm considered a guru, but I am far far from it. I just know a little more than they do .

A month ago, I though I'd have an option to either stay platinum with a large carryover, or buy the extra miles to go over the hump, but some uncalculated MQM miles are going to put me over regardless at this point.

I just assumed that the deeper into a level I got, the better my chances of an upgrade. In other words, if I was Platinum with a total of 120,000 MQM miles, I stood a better chance of an upgrade than if I was Platinum with 79,000 miles. Is that not the case?

newbie with a lot of green showing
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by The Roads Scholar
I just assumed that the deeper into a level I got, the better my chances of an upgrade. In other words, if I was Platinum with a total of 120,000 MQM miles, I stood a better chance of an upgrade than if I was Platinum with 79,000 miles. Is that not the case?

newbie with a lot of green showing
That's not at all the case. A Platinum with 75,001 miles is treated identically to a Platinum with 124,999 miles.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
It makes no difference if you are a PM with 75001 or 124999 MQMs. What matters is your fare class within your specific medallion status
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by james318
That's not at all the case. A Platinum with 75,001 miles is treated identically to a Platinum with 124,999 miles.
And folks wonder why DL and most carriers these days make you pay for things. If it's even an issue you're concerned about your stats to sit up front, you're not paying them the high dollars.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Medeski
It makes no difference if you are a PM with 75001 or 124999 MQMs. What matters is your fare class within your specific medallion status
Yes, and within your elite level and fare class, Reserve card holders get priority.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by grahampros
And folks wonder why DL and most carriers these days make you pay for things. If it's even an issue you're concerned about your stats to sit up front, you're not paying them the high dollars.
Excuse me? Because I care enough to know DL's rules regarding priority for upgrades, I'm not giving DL enough money with my M+ TPAC and TATL fares? DL would have a much smaller and less profitable airline if their only passengers were those who have purchased FC or BE tickets. Welcome to your unemployment line if this happens.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta SM Platinum, HH Diamond Marriott Rewards Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yes, and within your elite level and fare class, Reserve card holders get priority.
Another thing I didn't know! Makes the annual fee even more worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:00 am

Another thing I didn't know! Makes the annual fee even more worth it.
It's just the tiebreaker before time of upgrade request, so that if two PMs on T fare class tickets were competing for a single seat, it would go to the Reserve cardholder. It wouldn't help a PM Reserve cardholder with T fare get the seat over a PM without the card but with a U fare.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
It's just the tiebreaker before time of upgrade request, so that if two PMs on T fare class tickets were competing for a single seat, it would go to the Reserve cardholder. It wouldn't help a PM Reserve cardholder with T fare get the seat over a PM without the card but with a U fare.
I don't know if it's still true, but current year miles used to be a tiebreaker when everything else was equal.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:10 am

My understanding was they went in this order:

Tier -> Class -> Reserve/Non Reserve -> Check in time.

So, a DM always beats a PM, within DM, a full fare always beats a discount fare, and within full fare a Reserve cardholder always beats as a non Reserve, and if by some miracle you have two DMs that are both flying full Y and both have Reserve cards then the time they checked in (i.e. time got added to the list) finalizes the decision.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
I don't know if it's still true, but current year miles used to be a tiebreaker when everything else was equal.
No, here are the rules/tiers as published by DL...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
No, here are the rules/tiers as published by DL...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html
That's never been true that current miles had anything to do with upgrades. If someone said that they were mistaken. Consider it one of those myths you find online.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Syrgul
My understanding was they went in this order:

Tier -> Class -> Reserve/Non Reserve -> Check in time.

So, a DM always beats a PM, within DM, a full fare always beats a discount fare, and within full fare a Reserve cardholder always beats as a non Reserve, and if by some miracle you have two DMs that are both flying full Y and both have Reserve cards then the time they checked in (i.e. time got added to the list) finalizes the decision.
Check in time was NW tie breaker. For delta it is the date and time you requested the upgrade. So if you had Request Upgrade unchecked for some reason at booking time and called Delta at a later date to fix it then it would be the date you called.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Shouldn't one decide in advance whether one wants DM or PM with rollover and then act accordingly rather than asking the question while waiting for the MQMs to post that will irrevocably make one a DM?
Now that's just crazy talk.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.