Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP's question was about upgrades at the DM/PM window.
Because V and G inventories are separate, I don't think it comes down to a single priority list until the gate. For instance, if there is no G inventory at the window, but there is V inventory, a complimentary upgrade is going to clear and a SWU waitlist is not, exactly the opposite of what would happen at the gate.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Because V and G inventories are separate, I don't think it comes down to a single priority list until the gate. For instance, if there is no G inventory at the window, but there is V inventory, a complimentary upgrade is going to clear and a SWU waitlist is not, exactly the opposite of what would happen at the gate.
Exactly. We've been giving overly complicated and technical answers here in an attempt to be accurate and thorough, but I think we've made it more complex than the situation in the OP's question. If we forget about miles and SWU upgrades, etc. for now and just answer whether PMs on higher fares clear at the DM/PM window before or after DMs on lower fares, with no mention of companions or award tickets. Post #4 provides a succinct answer, as does the official link cited in post #5.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:33 am
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Welcome to the new reality of elite-heavy markets and/or first class monetization (do a search for FCM to learn about this phenomenon). The transcons (even those without a formal BE cabin) are probably the hardest upgrades around.
hello deemus7,

you and others on this board seem knowledgable about upgrades. i am platinum medallion. recently flew several legs domestic. at 5th day out delta had 10 of 12 first class seats still available but i did not get upgrade, same story at 3 day bump, lots of first class empty but no upgrades given, why???.

i thought at 5 days "if available" platinum automatically got moved to first class. i do not understand the subtelty of the rules obviously and delta employees do not seem to be able to explain either. anyone able to explain in plain english??

many thanks
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If available means if the correct upgrade inventory class, V for free upgrades to domestic FC, is available, not just if there is an empty FC seat on the flight.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jsq
hello deemus7,

you and others on this board seem knowledgable about upgrades. i am platinum medallion. recently flew several legs domestic. at 5th day out delta had 10 of 12 first class seats still available but i did not get upgrade, same story at 3 day bump, lots of first class empty but no upgrades given, why???.

i thought at 5 days "if available" platinum automatically got moved to first class. i do not understand the subtelty of the rules obviously and delta employees do not seem to be able to explain either. anyone able to explain in plain english??

many thanks
In some markets, DL management hold out the unreasonable hope that they will sell FC tickets for 10 of 12 (or 24 of 26) empty seats prior to departure.

In many cases, the FC tickets they sell are A or P fares that they market as FC, then declare them to be a coach ticket with an UG when something goes wrong and they need to boot someone from FC.

You will see many FC seats held back when coach is nearly sold out. The theory appears to be that the remaining coach fares are going to be in the higher fare buckets. So, someone already paying a high coach fare may be willing to pay the increment (sometimes as low as $50 to $100 each-way) to get the A or P fare and an automatic FC seat.

In reality, often many of the seats do not get sold and the UGs are given out at the gate. This deprives you of the benefit of knowing ahead of time whether you are going to get the UG. Thus, you cannot take advantage of the more generous FC checked baggage allowances. And, you will not know whether you should count on a meal in FC or, alternatively, buy something from a terminal food vendor.

Thus, the search for incremental income trumps the marketing hype about what a benefit FC UGs are to the frequent flyer.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by jsq
hello deemus7,

many thanks
You will find many recent discussions here on this forum on Delta having less and less confirmed upgrades.

The OP asked about a route that I believe is now battlefield upgrade only... He should also realize that it is entire possible that the flights he was on either had more diamonds than empty business class seats.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta SM Platinum, HH Diamond Marriott Rewards Platinum, National Executive Elite
High Platinum vs. Low Diamond and UGs

Well, it looks like my final Hilton MQM 250 mile bonus is going to be the difference between Platinum and Diamond for me this year. I will be sitting at 124,929 miles before the bonus kicks in, so now I have a question.

Will I have a significantly better chance of getting an UG as Diamond with no carryover than I would as Platinum with close to 50,000 carryover miles a week into the new year? Do miles in the new year make a difference in upgrade status.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Michael
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:52 am

A DM will beat a PM any day, regardless of carry over.

The question you should ask yourself is "Do I need the 50K to reach status again next year?" If no, go for DM.

(Note this is only the opinion of a lowly GM who squeaks by by MQS and never has any rollover. )
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by The Roads Scholar
Well, it looks like my final Hilton MQM 250 mile bonus is going to be the difference between Platinum and Diamond for me this year. I will be sitting at 124,929 miles before the bonus kicks in, so now I have a question.

Will I have a significantly better chance of getting an UG as Diamond with no carryover than I would as Platinum with close to 50,000 carryover miles a week into the new year? Do miles in the new year make a difference in upgrade status.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Michael
Huh? 124,929 + 250 < 125,000, so getting 250 MQMs from Hilton won't make you a DM.

DM upgrades clear at higher priority (but at the same window) compared to PM. The number of "extra" MQMs you have isn't a criteria for upgrades. There is no such thing as a low DM or high PM for upgrades, although this stuff could well be part of the proprietary scores that DL uses to evaluate customers for special favors and special IROPs handling.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? 124,929 + 250 < 125,000, so getting 250 MQMs from Hilton won't make you a DM.

124,929 + 250 = 125179.

David
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave

124,929 + 250 = 125179.

David
You're right. Brain freeze here. I saw 929, I wrote 929, but I thought 292.

However, I'm still confused by the OP. Shouldn't one decide in advance whether one wants DM or PM with rollover and then act accordingly rather than asking the question while waiting for the MQMs to post that will irrevocably make one a DM?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Roads Scholar
First, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Rollover miles mean nothing as far as UG. You are either a Diamond or a Plat, regardless of rollover or how you got to your level. Period.

Will your chance of UG be 'significantly' better as a Diamond? No one here can answer that for you. Depends on where you fly from/to, when you fly, etc. Lots of variables to consider. That said, your chances of UG will always be better as a Diamond than as a Plat.

Actually, your question is kind of moot since it looks like you will be Diamond anyway. Welcome to the club and enjoy the journey. ^
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Correct.. the higher status always get's the higher upgrade priority all other things equal. The roll over to re qualify for the next year has nothing to with your upgrade on a given flight.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
[QUOTE=However, I'm still confused by the OP. Shouldn't one decide in advance whether one wants DM or PM with rollover and then act accordingly rather than asking the question while waiting for the MQMs to post that will irrevocably make one a DM?[/QUOTE]

Well it was a good thing the OP wasn't skydiving and wishing for something they left in the plane.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DAL-767
Well it was a good thing the OP wasn't skydiving and wishing for something they left in the plane.
Like a (golden) parachute?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.