Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold; PC Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
This has been discussed rather extensively in the Delta SkyMiles forum. Head on over there for people's opinions on DM vs. rollover.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Great idea - let's move it over there.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The first 'Do I rollover?' thread and it's still February!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
OP: search the DL forum and you'll get a lot of info.

Something to consider: stay at PM and instead of booking with Delta, book your flight on another airline alliance. You're likely to get at least some status (first level?) with another alliance that will give you more options in the future.

Don't know where you're based and that may help you decide on another alliance.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
I'm based in BOS and nearly all int'l travel is to MENA (TATL) so I prefer Skyteam (3 options) and then Oneworld (for relative comfort of CW at a reasonable cost).

Domestically it is almost entirely east coast travel (which unfortunately for me is where Star is very strong BOS-LGA-PHL-DCA).

Also, I can't find the thread on rollover... any search tips? (Sorry, not very good with the forums)
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:39 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by finny52
I'm based in BOS and nearly all int'l travel is to MENA (TATL) so I prefer Skyteam (3 options) and then Oneworld (for relative comfort of CW at a reasonable cost).

Domestically it is almost entirely east coast travel (which unfortunately for me is where Star is very strong BOS-LGA-PHL-DCA).

Also, I can't find the thread on rollover... any search tips? (Sorry, not very good with the forums)
You can still travel with Skyteam but credit your miles to KL/AS or others.

If you need lounge access or SWU's, perhaps going for DM is a good idea. But SWU's are only useful with M and higher fares (i.e. useless to me) and I already have lounge access, i.e. no need for DM status. Having said that, with the "monetization' of F by DL (search for threads by title that include "monetization" and you will find them), DM might be of more benefit for domestic UG's in the future. But it sounds like you use *A for domestic anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Here are some of the threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...light=Rollover

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-short.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hlight=Stay+DM

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hlight=Stay+DM

Try searching "Stay DM" and "rollover." You'll have to look carefully at the thread titles to get an idea of the posts within. Came up with these in less than 5m.

Search is decent and it's all about what words you enter in the search.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
I will be sitting at about 115,000 MQMs for the year without a lot of travel plans for the rest of the year.

I am planning an upcoming trip and unsure if I want to go over the top and collect diamond benefits or to rollover 40,000 MQM to next year. I'm not really sure what the additional benefits are since I almost always get upgraded.

Thoughts?
I would definitely hold back (I did in 2009). Since the extra benefits of DM are rather disappointing, IMHO, rollover main benefit is to allow us to test the competition for a while and maintain DL elite status.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DP-340
I would definitely hold back (I did in 2009). Since the extra benefits of DM are rather disappointing, IMHO, rollover main benefit is to allow us to test the competition for a while and maintain DL elite status.
Well, that might be your main benefit but there are quite a few others.
Extra 25% RDM bonus (which does add up if you actually fly enough to reach DM), two more choice benefits, free SC membership, JFK/ATL intl greeting, better chance for UG's.

But the biggest benefit may be IROPS when you need help. Wife (also a DM) called to tell me her flt from JFK today was delayed due to Wx. She called the DM line and they SDC'ed her to an earlier flt that was already delayed and she got the UG. Apologies to the PM who lost out on that seat but there are benefits to higher status.

OTOH, these benefits mean nothing to someone who doesn't fly enough to enjoy them. If the OP plans to fly little this year, stick with PM and enjoy at least FO next year.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I'd say hold back and keep your options open. The winds of change are in motion right now.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
I will be sitting at about 115,000 MQMs for the year without a lot of travel plans for the rest of the year.
If you are not traveling much for the rest of the year, your current DM status is of little worth to you. Benefits on paper are just that, words on paper.
The same is true for your travel in 2012. If you will travel again a lot, DM is preferable. If you will not travel much, stay PM for 2012 and roll over. If you are not using the benefits...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
But the biggest benefit may be IROPS when you need help. Wife (also a DM) called to tell me her flt from JFK today was delayed due to Wx. She called the DM line and they SDC'ed her to an earlier flt that was already delayed and she got the UG. Apologies to the PM who lost out on that seat but there are benefits to higher status.
I decided to go for DM this year, and am basically happy with the decision, but I haven't experienced any IROPS handling that would never have happened to me as a PM.

What you describe sounds like what would have happily been done for a general member, unless I'm missing something.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Well, that might be your main benefit but there are quite a few others. ...
My thoughts:

Extra 25% RDM bonus:
last year I flew 140k+ on DL and 100k+ on CO. I really don't need more skypiles

free SC membership: that is probably the best benefit about DM; I am with you on this one, it is a great benefit.

JFK/ATL intl greeting: I haven't experience that one yet. Last December in ATL, no one was there. Additionally, I tend to fly CO INT because of the cheaper upgrades there (I refuse to pay M+SWU)

IROPS when you need help:
Like SamOF, I have not noticed any difference between PM and DM, maybe I have been lucky.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF
I decided to go for DM this year, and am basically happy with the decision, but I haven't experienced any IROPS handling that would never have happened to me as a PM.

What you describe sounds like what would have happily been done for a general member, unless I'm missing something.
Not sure I agree with you that DL will go out of their way to help a general member by moving them to an earlier flt for free, especially at an elite-heavy airport like JFK. And they certainly wouldn't be putting that pax in F when there are Wx delays.

Agree that DL would treat a PM just as kindly but there is one big difference... The PM gets a seat in the back based on the best available, and may have to give up an UG from a later flt. The DM gives up the later UG but still gets a seat in front.

Of course for those who say, "I don't care about upgrades," this benefit is pretty meaningless.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:03 am
VWE

Programs: SPG.plat Hyatt.Diamond. Delta.DM MillionMiler : UA 1P
Talking

(loud voice from the front cabin)

"hey back there, how's that rollover coming along ?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.