Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by james318
That's not at all the case. A Platinum with 75,001 miles is treated identically to a Platinum with 124,999 miles.
I am not so sure. I have more miles in my DM status than all my business associates I travel with. I have always been ahead of them on the upgrade list if we are traveling on the same fare--paid the same---and they purchased first. The only way I am below them is if they have purchased a higher class fare.

This happens every time. There are no special credit cards involved etc. Just internet transactions. It really p****s them off too when I snag the last seat.

Might be some other metric, but I am at a loss as what it would be.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I am not so sure. I have more miles in my DM status than all my business associates I travel with. I have always been ahead of them on the upgrade list if we are traveling on the same fare--paid the same---and they purchased first. The only way I am below them is if they have purchased a higher class fare.

This happens every time. There are no special credit cards involved etc. Just internet transactions. It really p****s them off too when I snag the last seat.

Might be some other metric, but I am at a loss as what it would be.
It's not your millage balance that has any effect. It's not something the system looks at to process upgrades.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Are you saying all of these others are also Diamonds or just traveling on the same fare as you? Actually I would wonder about same fare, at least all the time. If you purchased later for the same flt, you might have had a more expensive ticket even if the bucket had not yet closed.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Are you saying all of these others are also Diamonds or just traveling on the same fare as you? Actually I would wonder about same fare, at least all the time. If you purchased later for the same flt, you might have had a more expensive ticket even if the bucket had not yet closed.
That seems to really be the question. What is 100 % sure is that he has more miles banked in his account does NOT have an impact on his upgrade. Now if he's diamond and they are not it's easily explainable.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
DM on Award beats PM on B fare.

Then again 49K of rollover is nice. I say it depends on what you plan on flying next year.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:25 pm

What we need to be clear about, There are many reasons why a person is higher on the upgrade list. However, that you have you have more miles in your account or earned more for the year ( other then the status you currently have) does not have an impact on your upgrade priority.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by Sez_Who

All four of us are DM. I am not talking balance in the account, I am talking about accrued MQMs as a DM. Last year I accrued the most miles and my associates less. We ranked ourselves and ---all things being equal--the upgrade list seems to be determined by the total MQMs achieved for the year.

Our flying is pretty much in the same rank order every year. This appears to be the only constant. There might be another reason, but we are at a loss as to what it would be. Just a curiosity on our point.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Syrgul
My understanding was they went in this order:

Tier -> Class -> Reserve/Non Reserve -> Check in time.

So, a DM always beats a PM, within DM, a full fare always beats a discount fare, and within full fare a Reserve cardholder always beats as a non Reserve, and if by some miracle you have two DMs that are both flying full Y and both have Reserve cards then the time they checked in (i.e. time got added to the list) finalizes the decision.
This is only for B and lower fares. All elites with Y are higher than DM with B. Also, it's time of upgrade request, not time of check in or time of ticket purchase.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Information not noted in the above thread....

Originally Posted by The Roads Scholar
Well, it looks like my final Hilton MQM 250 mile bonus is going to be the difference between Platinum and Diamond for me this year. I will be sitting at 124,929 miles before the bonus kicks in, so now I have a question.

Will I have a significantly better chance of getting an UG as Diamond with no carryover than I would as Platinum with close to 50,000 carryover miles a week into the new year? Do miles in the new year make a difference in upgrade status.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Michael
Your chance at UGs is determined more by your fare type than your status. Ex: A GM, traveling on an M fare will be upgraded before a PM traveling on a T fare. It's more about what was paid for the individual seat on the particular flight than the number of miles you've flown prior to that flight. As a Silver, I've been UG'd over DMs because I was on a full fare.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? 124,929 + 250 < 125,000, so getting 250 MQMs from Hilton won't make you a DM.
Uh, where did you get your Economics Degree, the University of Phoenix?

124,929 + 250 = 125,179 > 125,000.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Your chance at UGs is determined more by your fare type than your status. Ex: A GM, traveling on an M fare will be upgraded before a PM traveling on a T fare. It's more about what was paid for the individual seat on the particular flight than the number of miles you've flown prior to that flight. As a Silver, I've been UG'd over DMs because I was on a full fare.
This is mostly wrong. In your example, the PM with the T fare would be upgraded first.

GM with M fare:

Upgrade Window:
Three (3) calendar days before departure and subject to fare class V availability.

Your rank is lower than:
DM | Y
PM | Y
GM | Y
FO | Y
DM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N
PM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N
GM | B,

Tiebreak for GM with M fare
#1 If you are a Delta Reserve Amex card holder.
#2 Time of request usually at ticketing. Ex 2130-FEB-28 (TTTT-MM-DD)

Your rank is higher than:
GM | H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N
FO | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E
DM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
PM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
GM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
FO | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
Non-elites purchasing an upgrade (ticket must be in Y, B, M, H, Q or K class) - done by time requested.

You probably were on a Y fare when you got the FO UG over the DM's, which is correct.

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

FO with Y fare
Upgrade Window:
Immediately at ticketing and subject to fare class V availability.

Your rank is lower than:
DM | Y
PM | Y
GM | Y

Tiebreak for FO with Y fare

GM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N
DM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
PM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
GM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
FO | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E using a companion upgrade to upgrade non-elite (within 24 hrs. of departure).
Non-elites purchasing an upgrade (ticket must be in Y, B, M, H, Q or K class) - done by time requested.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Thus getting booked into Y or rebooked into Y is really a bonanza for lesser medallions.

DM don't benefit nearly as much on average, because their starting position is so much higher on average that the marginal benefit of Y is much more rarely realized. (they had a higher chance that they would get UG anyway at any fare).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Your statement about fare mattering more than status is largely incorrect for DL's FF program, although it might reflect the priority ordering used by a different carrier. Elites on Y fares are at the top, then DMs on all other fares, then PMs on all other fares (including T), then GMs on all other fares (including M), etc.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your statement about fare mattering more than status is largely incorrect for DL's FF program, although it might reflect the priority ordering used by a different carrier. Elites on Y fares are at the top, then DMs on all other fares, then PMs on all other fares (including T), then GMs on all other fares (including M), etc.
You are correct MSP. One thing I would add is the observation that it seems on the heavy business flying days (at least to and from the west coast), upgrades come down to the fare class of the DMs that are on the upgrade list. I haven't even been seeing PMs get upgraded at the gate and I haven't gotten upgraded at the window for awhile now.

Edited to add that most of the time I've been booking inside the window although I did book my trip to SFO for this week 14 days out.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
I stand corrected...

...and thank you for explaining, and providing the detail. I took the information I was given during "gate chatter" at face value, and appreciate the clarification. Jeez, is that matrix complicated! Imagine trying to track that without our friends, the programmers.

Yes, I was booked in Y on the flight in question, and your matrix explains how my UG over everyone else was possible. ...although the DM I jumped was still very annoyed.

However, his DYKWIA attitude is a different story, for another day...

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
This is mostly wrong. In your example, the PM with the T fare would be upgraded first.

GM with M fare:

Upgrade Window:
Three (3) calendar days before departure and subject to fare class V availability.

Your rank is lower than:
DM | Y
PM | Y
GM | Y
FO | Y
DM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N
GM | B,

Tiebreak for GM with M fare

GM | H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N

You probably were on a Y fare when you got the FO UG over the DM's, which is correct.

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

FO with Y fare
Upgrade Window:
Immediately at ticketing and subject to fare class V availability.

Your rank is lower than:
DM | Y
PM | Y
GM | Y

Tiebreak for FO with Y fare

GM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E, N

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.