Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by taveller
I've been platinum for many years, and never saw enough value in going for Diamond...

My question is... Do Diamonds get better business class award availability (tickets, not upgrades) at lower levels, as opposed to Platinum?

If so, then it might be worth it........
It's not worth it. It seems, however, that some DL agents actually believe this. I called the Diamond Line to book a r/t in J to SYD. The first thing the agent told me was that I was lucky I was a DM because I would have the best chance of getting the award I wanted for a reasonable amount of miles. Well, the "reasonable" mileage turned out to be 390,000 miles! Needless to say I nixed it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM
BUSINESS class ? No......not worth it....domestic...yes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by taveller
I've been platinum for many years, and never saw enough value in going for Diamond...

My question is... Do Diamonds get better business class award availability (tickets, not upgrades) at lower levels, as opposed to Platinum?

If so, then it might be worth it........
Not true at all. But if you have yourself a nice Amex, things might be different...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Diamonds are smarter and better looking and just plain cooler ...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james318
Not true at all. But if you have yourself a nice Amex, things might be different...[/QUOTE]

Um, is this true? News to me...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Not true at all. But if you have yourself a nice Amex, things might be different...
Um, is this true? News to me...[/QUOTE]

No, it's not true. I have a Platinum AMEX card and it doesn't help at all.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Diamond vs. Platinum

IME DL jacks up the redemption when it recognizes status. I have run side by side searches while two computers were connected via different services and when a medallion number is entered, the low redemptions disappear. A friend did not believe me, so we did this with his DM number and the same results showed.

Last edited by CJKatl; Feb 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Nope...

I don't believe any medallion gets better availability on business awards (just coach)
DM has better award availability both Y and F/J for low level redemption (domestic only). For routes like JFK - SFO/LAX nonstop, I haven't found a discrepancy as of yet. From experience with booking my partner to come to NYC, I can redeem low level F/J r/t. I cross reference this with KVS with kettle status and his SM account (He's a gold). Certain times I can pull up low level F/J or Y if there is no low level F/J, but with his account or KVS it does not come up in low level availability.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Diamonds are smarter and better looking and just plain cooler ...
And have more miles and more money....just a little Delta wealth redistribution.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Hold at Platinum or Push On to Diamond?

Based on prevailing wisdom, the last couple of years I have passed the Platinum threshhold and banked points to be forwarded to the next year. My travel for this year is booked and I project (with AmEx spend points) I will finish 2013 with 121,500 MQMs.
Now I find myself working hard to schedule without DL. I'm burning a lot of saved WN points and have used up miles with other programs. If I resumed Delta travel I think I would end the year with about 135,000.
So, I ask for your input. Should I coast this year and start 2014 almost at GM status or is Diamond the way to go? Thanks for your thoughts....
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Fwiw, my rule of thumb had been that if I can get to 150k, then it's worth pushing through to Diamond. Otherwise, I hold steady as I did last year, only to start this year with 43k banked.

Of course only you know how consistent your travel is. That is, if you regularly get to 100k+, then go to Diamond this year. But if this year was an outlier, don't.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
If you value you ability to SDC the old way, I'd say stick to PM, hope they reverse course on this new policy and give your business to another airline for the time being. I status matched to 1K with UA... No dollars for DL given all of their devaluations and pack of actual enhancements
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:31 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
The most obvious question is what do you expect next year's travel to look like? If it looks to be heavy, Diamond may be worth the push...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Also, next year will bring the year that begins MQDs. Will you spend enough next year to earn the status if you use rollover MQMs to earn it?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The OP states that his MQM's include AMEX MQM's so the spend requirement won't be an issue for him. He has a minimum $25K spend to get AMEX MQM's

Everyone's situation is different. I'll be moving to PM next month and I've decided to hold at 120-124k MQM and see what happens to elites in general with the MQD requirement once it takes effect. My thought about going to Diamond is that I would only do it if I intended to look for a status match. I'm planning on starting the new year with a 45-49k rollover and my wife getting the 50K AMEX MQM's next year to maintain PM. We'll both meet the MQD with AMEX spend so that's no problem moving into 2015.

The PM for both is more beneficial in our case than a DM and GM since we're planning a few TATL Award trips and want to use miles from both accounts while maintaining flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.