Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:22 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SDF
Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by RealHJ
And you've surely had many, many aircraft substitutions over the years. Just you haven't even noticed it (if seats don't change, most usually don't notice), or it has been a positive for you rather than a negative, so you've conveniently chosen to forget about it. So will be true for anyone who's flown more than a few times.
I've had many MX subs over the years. The vast majority were same equipment subs. In cases where the reason for the sub was not explicitly stated as MX, they have always been a downgrade--- CRJ 200 for 700/900, ERJ 145 for a 170/175, nonlay-flat for a lay-flat, etc. Last minute MX situations I understand but when it is a sub several days in advance it is much more likely part of their bait-and-switch scheme.
DL-Don is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:52 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I've had many MX subs over the years. The vast majority were same equipment subs. In cases where the reason for the sub was not explicitly stated as MX, they have always been a downgrade--- CRJ 200 for 700/900, ERJ 145 for a 170/175, nonlay-flat for a lay-flat, etc. Last minute MX situations I understand but when it is a sub several days in advance it is much more likely part of their bait-and-switch scheme.
It could come off nefarious but I bet a more likely reason is maintenance that pops up. Or any number of other reasons. Could be a mechanical issue that they hoped to fix at the hub but turned out a part needed to be ordered and come from Seattle. 1-2 days for it to arrive and your flight was the 2nd or 3rd day.

As most have said subbing a downgrade for an entire cabin isn't something most airlines would like to do. Someone sitting up front knows what they booked and likely expects a certain product. So intentionally doing it over and over again wouldn't really work out for them very well.
dinanm3atl is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:23 pm
  #108  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Posts: 5,538
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I meant the poster(forget if it was you) that the IFE system was terrible and had no options.
I DID say that the IFE was poor.

Perhaps its it's cuz I travel a lot and watch a lot of movies and tv shows on the planes I guess I've seen all of the "hit new movies" and prefer to peruse the "old or classic movie" sections and TV shows.

Traveled over 150,000 BIS miles last year alone, almost ALL international, and all cabins on DL/KL/AF/AA/CX/SQ.
355F1 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:51 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I meant the poster(forget if it was you) that the IFE system was terrible and had no options.
Brought back a memory...
2010 flight from PVG to Changsha on an old China Eastern A320 or 319. It had overhead television screens...Which played pirated movies and TV shows! The movie had a TBS netork logo in the corner and the old episode of Friends had the WPIX logo.
It was a red-eye flight and my wife and I were the only Westerners on the flight. We were seated in a mostly empty first class. I think they played the pirated stuff just for our sake, because I don't think anyone else on the flight spoke English or had ever seen Friends.
airmotive is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:17 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by airmotive
Brought back a memory...
2010 flight from PVG to Changsha on an old China Eastern A320 or 319. It had overhead television screens...Which played pirated movies and TV shows! The movie had a TBS netork logo in the corner and the old episode of Friends had the WPIX logo.
It was a red-eye flight and my wife and I were the only Westerners on the flight. We were seated in a mostly empty first class. I think they played the pirated stuff just for our sake, because I don't think anyone else on the flight spoke English or had ever seen Friends.
That's awesome.
dinanm3atl is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:32 am
  #111  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 81
Sorry to steer this thread in a little different direction. I just booked a great business class fare on MU, YYZ-PVG-HKG, but ultimately I will end up heading over to Dongguan/Shenzhen. I've been over many times, but never this routing, which I took because the fare on Expedia seemed pretty good.
My questions are:
1. Transiting PVG, do I need to clear immigration since I'm not entering mainland China at this point? I did this a few years ago and seem to recall a transit area that skipped the main immigration.
2. On arrival to Hong Kong, I won't be able to get a ferry until the next morning, and on the way back, I have to come in the night before as well. What is the process for getting to the ferry terminal from a hotel, and on the way back from the ferry terminal to the hotel? Is it as simple as walking in/out, or is their immigration,security etc that will take some time?
3. Overall, will I be happy, or unhappy bookin MU in business? Flown their domestic first lots of times and it's nothing to get to excited about.
Thanks!
NZLMAN is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:55 am
  #112  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 42,534
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
2. On arrival to Hong Kong, I won't be able to get a ferry until the next morning, and on the way back, I have to come in the night before as well. What is the process for getting to the ferry terminal from a hotel, and on the way back from the ferry terminal to the hotel? Is it as simple as walking in/out, or is their immigration,security etc that will take some time?
If you take the ferries to/from Sky Pier, you aren't allowed to enter HK. And, the ferry schedule from the HK-Macau terminal is a bit thin (certainly worth checking though). I'm guessing that a bus or van might end up being your best option, short of changing to a SZX flight.
moondog is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:30 am
  #113  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by moondog
If you take the ferries to/from Sky Pier, you aren't allowed to enter HK. And, the ferry schedule from the HK-Macau terminal is a bit thin (certainly worth checking though). I'm guessing that a bus or van might end up being your best option, short of changing to a SZX flight.
Or maybe getting one of the 'rest rooms' at the Plaza Premium Lounge? Anyone have experience with those?
NZLMAN is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:20 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW or Somewhere Else
Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Posts: 1,107
#1 . There is no such thing as a great MU Business class fare. I wouldn't fly them again for free (since a smoky cabin to me is borderline torture )
#2 . The HKG ferry pier is only open to those coming directly off of planes. If you wait in the transit area all night you can go direct from HKG but I recommend just hoping on the airport express 20 minutes to Kowloon , stay overnight there and hop on the ferry from Kowloon. They are frequent and cheap.
aero0729 is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:30 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SDF
Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Posts: 1,441
I did the HKG to Shenzhen transfer last month. I opted for a car service that was $205 all inclusive. They met me outside in the arrivals hall. Pushed my bags to an exit, loaded them in the car and off we went. I never had to leave the car as it went from Hong Kong to Shenzhen. It look less than an hour but traffic was light. If you like, PM me for the details.
DL-Don is offline  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:07 am
  #116  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 42,534
Originally Posted by aero0729
#1 . There is no such thing as a great MU Business class fare. I wouldn't fly them again for free (since a smoky cabin to me is borderline torture )
#2 . The HKG ferry pier is only open to those coming directly off of planes. If you wait in the transit area all night you can go direct from HKG but I recommend just hoping on the airport express 20 minutes to Kowloon , stay overnight there and hop on the ferry from Kowloon. They are frequent and cheap.
4x/day doesn't constitute frequent in my book.
moondog is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:36 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Internet
Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Posts: 714
1. You don't need to clear immigration. You go through a special lane, have your passport checked (there are two lines - one with PSB officers working and a machine "self-service check-in" - the machines are flaky, stay to the left and interact with a human), and then go through airport security. You're then back in the international transit lounge.

2. You do need to check out of Hong Kong so please allow extra time for this.

3. MU business class is lie flat seats. The service is mainland China service from a state owned enterprise, Communist hospitality at its finest. The catering isn't spectacular. For some reason China Eastern pilots smoke like chimneys, so the closer you are to the cockpit the more it will smell like smoke. It's definitely better than economy class, but it's around on the quality level of United versus, say, Cathay Pacific.

Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Sorry to steer this thread in a little different direction. I just booked a great business class fare on MU, YYZ-PVG-HKG, but ultimately I will end up heading over to Dongguan/Shenzhen. I've been over many times, but never this routing, which I took because the fare on Expedia seemed pretty good.
My questions are:
1. Transiting PVG, do I need to clear immigration since I'm not entering mainland China at this point? I did this a few years ago and seem to recall a transit area that skipped the main immigration.
2. On arrival to Hong Kong, I won't be able to get a ferry until the next morning, and on the way back, I have to come in the night before as well. What is the process for getting to the ferry terminal from a hotel, and on the way back from the ferry terminal to the hotel? Is it as simple as walking in/out, or is their immigration,security etc that will take some time?
3. Overall, will I be happy, or unhappy bookin MU in business? Flown their domestic first lots of times and it's nothing to get to excited about.
Thanks!
TProphet is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:54 pm
  #118  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 42,534
Originally Posted by TProphet

3. MU business class is lie flat seats. The service is mainland China service from a state owned enterprise, Communist hospitality at its finest. The catering isn't spectacular. For some reason China Eastern pilots smoke like chimneys, so the closer you are to the cockpit the more it will smell like smoke. It's definitely better than economy class, but it's around on the quality level of United versus, say, Cathay Pacific.
On the North America routes, I prefer MU to CX in J (newer planes, and slightly better food IMO).
moondog is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:51 am
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by moondog
On the North America routes, I prefer MU to CX in J (newer planes, and slightly better food IMO).
Also can get a F product for the price of J on most. As for smoking. I don't see it on the n. America routes anymore. MU has cracked down on it. Doesn't mean it won't happen, humans are humans. However the only time I've seen it in last 1.5 years is on a PVG/KUL route. The 777 are brand new and I think MU is especially trying to keep it away from them.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:06 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 392
No smoking on two MU flights a few days ago. I have two more today.

Pretty comfortable flights. And I had no issues at all with transferring in Shanghai.

For this price, I'd do it again, no question. Seat wasn't quite as nice as the reverse herringbone on AA or CX, but still quite good.
Michael Ad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.