Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I recently flew NRT - PVG and then SHA-PEK on China Eastern (MU). I had never flown MU before and read some reviews that suggested the experience might be less than stellar. However, my experience in coach was excellent.

At NRT my Delta status was recognized and I was quickly checked in, fast-tracked through security and given an invitation to the China Southern club. I was able to board early and the purser stopped by to introduce herself. The crew were superb with lots of attention and hot food served in coach.

At SHA I was again able to check in and board quickly using Sky Priority. There isn't a club at SHA but the flight was again excellent with hot food served in coach even on this domestic flight.

Both flights tagged my bags with priority tags and delivered them first on arrival. Gate agents at every step spoke excellent English.

Perhaps my experience was unusual - but with the expansion of the Seattle hub and the additional Delta routes to Asia I wouldn't hesitate to fly MU.

Now it will be interesting to see if Delta credits me for those flights....
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
MU is always good at recognizing ST E+ status. Most issues happen when DL handles MU checkin, which here wasn't the case given where you were flying.

Seems that you weren't sitting too close to the front, so you weren't affected by the pilots and/or crew smoking, as happens on most MU flights (or may be your flights were the exception to that unwritten rule of "always smoking in the MU cockpit").

But all in all, MU has new and clean aircraft and often better food in economy short regional flights than DL in BE for 10+ hour long flights. If it wasn't for the constant smoking by the crew (esp. if you are closer to the front), I'd have no complaints about MU.

Why didn't you go to the lounge at SHA? MU has a pretty good lounge (not sure if it's MU dedicated or contract) at SHA that serves good food - better than most of the eating establishments in the airport. You should have been handed an invitation to that lounge upon check-in at SHA.
EDIT: That is for int'l flights out of SHA Int'l terminal. Not sure how it is for domestic out of the other terminal - never been to that one.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:43 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You would get the same appriecation if you were delta gold
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
You would get the same appriecation if you were delta gold
Yes, the exact Delta status doesn't matter.
Gold, Platinum and Diamond all are ST E+.
All that matters is ST E+.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I too had a good experience flying MU — last year PEK-KMG. Perfectly enjoyable.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by RealHJ
MU is always good at recognizing ST E+ status. Most issues happen when DL handles MU checkin, which here wasn't the case given where you were flying.

Seems that you weren't sitting too close to the front, so you weren't affected by the pilots and/or crew smoking, as happens on most MU flights (or may be your flights were the exception to that unwritten rule of "always smoking in the MU cockpit").

But all in all, MU has new and clean aircraft and often better food in economy short regional flights than DL in BE for 10+ hour long flights. If it wasn't for the constant smoking by the crew (esp. if you are closer to the front), I'd have no complaints about MU.

Why didn't you go to the lounge at SHA? MU has a pretty good lounge (not sure if it's MU dedicated or contract) at SHA that serves good food - better than most of the eating establishments in the airport. You should have been handed an invitation to that lounge upon check-in at SHA.
EDIT: That is for int'l flights out of SHA Int'l terminal. Not sure how it is for domestic out of the other terminal - never been to that one.
The first thing I thought when I read the title of the thread was, I wonder how many people OP saw smoking on this flight? Extremely annoying, and when you are in J you are right up next to it, which is why I don't fly MU.

On DL TPAC flights you will have maximum 1 or 2 smokers per flight, and they try to hide the smell so they don't get caught, unlike on MU where they just do it freely.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

Any idea how much taxes are?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Any advice on how to get my SM into the reservation? I booked through orbitz, with my SM#, but it doesn't appear on the MU website nor is there an option to add it.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I had a good experience on MU flying SHA-CAN last August. Upfront on an A300. I didn't sense the smoking, but. Good food, well treated although the seats reminded me of the old NW barcaloungers upfront on the DC10.
Was given an invite to some lounge at SHA, recognized as ST E+.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by mot29
I had a good experience on MU flying SHA-CAN last August. Upfront on an A300. I didn't sense the smoking, but. Good food, well treated although the seats reminded me of the old NW barcaloungers upfront on the DC10.
Was given an invite to some lounge at SHA, recognized as ST E+.
Next time try the MU 33E. The MU business class seats will remind of int'l first class on other airlines (mini suites, sans the door, super spacious - far better than the DL new BE product: the space is all yours, no "coffin" for your feet, no uncomfortable angles: a proper rectangular good width bed). MU 33E is probably the best business class product on SkyTeam...at least based on my experience.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Any advice on how to get my SM into the reservation? I booked through orbitz, with my SM#, but it doesn't appear on the MU website nor is there an option to add it.
I've only been able to do it at check-in, and I still needed to submit a mileage credit afterwards anyways
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Few thoughts on MU:

1. STE and STE+ recognition is good. CZ was always good, MU has been getting better. Esp at check-in or by the flight staff.

2. Smoking. I've never seen this in all the MU flights I've had, but I wouldn't be surprised. This being said, I highly doubt smoking by the crew is a MU phenomenon only.

3. Taxes - MU's YQ is ridiculous, on reason I avoid flying MU on DL awards if I can help it.

4. Lounges - MU will be strick (along with CZ) that you cannot access their domestic lounges unless you have an F ticket, but keep in mind same day connections from international itin give you access, even to their domestic lounges.

5. MU's service, esp international flights in J always impress me.

6. Food, pretty standard in China but they serve food/meals on flights that DL calls to short to even serve water.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
6. Food, pretty standard in China but they serve food/meals on flights that DL calls to short to even serve water.
And usually hot food too-I've even gotten hot food on <1hr flights on CZ and MU
Old May 26, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
There isn't a club at SHA but the flight was again excellent with hot food served in coach even on this domestic flight.
I am planning an award trip where I will do a stopover at PVG on the way to XIY, then an open jaw returning from PEK, so I will need to get from XIY to PEK. A coach ticket is in the $200s and FC is in the $400s for the just under 2 hour flight, and I am considering flying coach.

So coach on MU was acceptable? I have a mental picture of it being a zoo flying coach in China.
Old May 26, 2014, 6:44 pm

if by "acceptable" you mean better than any US-based carrier in coach, then yes

you (usually) get fed a hot meal or snack, the FAs are nice, and loads for domestic chinese flights are nowhere near those of US domestic flights-I've only have a middle seat filled next to me on less than a quarter of my flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.