Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Old Nov 15, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
For intra China trips, ctrip is very useful because they can make magic happen during irrops.
And I'm seeing about 35% lower price there!

Any reason not to book with CTrip when they are lower?

Any difference between their English site and Chinese (I'm slower there, but can manage).

Will Priceline match CTrip, etc?

And can you say more if you have time about their magic during IRROPs, etc?

TIA and hopefully afterways.
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:57 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Anyone know which lounge to utilize flying OUT of HKG? Again, flying MU J class as a DM with PP access and AMEX Platinum card (not DL platinum).

OPS
My order of preference
  • Centurion
  • skyteam lounge
  • Plaza Premium
BenA and mattya9 like this.

Last edited by kiwicanuck; Nov 15, 18 at 7:58 pm Reason: dyslexia
Old Nov 16, 18, 1:16 am

Programs: DL, HH
For intra China trips, ctrip is very useful because they can make magic happen during irrops.
I agree, they have always done a great job for me.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 1:43 am

Programs: Delta DM
Well I've just returned from my LAX-PVG-HKG-PVG-LAX trip in J. Overall, I'm disappointed with the international J product on MU. Not that this should be a complete shocker to anyone, especially if you've flown it before. Both flights to/from LAX were on their 77W. The seats weren't terrible but they weren't great. Entertainment options weren't great but they had more newly released movies than I thought. Cabin crew were very friendly but not extremely attentive. And the food.... we'll just call it what it is and that's terrible. On the domestic side I was pleasantly surprised. I went in with low expectations and came out rather impressed. Both flights to/from PVG to HKG were on A321's with the return to PVG on a newer 321 with winglets. The seats were comfy with good legroom. Entertainment options were the same as on the 777. Cabin crew was very friendly and quite attentive (although to be fair they had far less people to take care of than on a 777). As for the meals (or light snack) both were fairly good/edible.

Moving forward I hope MU works to make their product better across the board, especially if Delta continues to make them their #1 Sky Team partner in Asia. However, I think it's safe to say we're all hoping for option #2 to happen and that is DL will replace MU with KE as their primary Asia partner in the near future. I wonder if DL is realizing MU isn't quite working out as they expected with the sub-par on board product as well as experience at PVG. With the new terminal open at ICN and KE already offering a superior product me thinks it's just a matter of time for DL to push MU to the side and focus on KE once again. What say you?

OPS
Old Nov 17, 18, 2:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.6MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Moderna Bivalent
Well I've just returned from my LAX-PVG-HKG-PVG-LAX trip in J. Overall, I'm disappointed with the international J product on MU. Not that this should be a complete shocker to anyone, especially if you've flown it before. Both flights to/from LAX were on their 77W. The seats weren't terrible but they weren't great. Entertainment options weren't great but they had more newly released movies than I thought. Cabin crew were very friendly but not extremely attentive. And the food.... we'll just call it what it is and that's terrible. On the domestic side I was pleasantly surprised. I went in with low expectations and came out rather impressed. Both flights to/from PVG to HKG were on A321's with the return to PVG on a newer 321 with winglets. The seats were comfy with good legroom. Entertainment options were the same as on the 777. Cabin crew was very friendly and quite attentive (although to be fair they had far less people to take care of than on a 777). As for the meals (or light snack) both were fairly good/edible.

Moving forward I hope MU works to make their product better across the board, especially if Delta continues to make them their #1 Sky Team partner in Asia. However, I think it's safe to say we're all hoping for option #2 to happen and that is DL will replace MU with KE as their primary Asia partner in the near future. I wonder if DL is realizing MU isn't quite working out as they expected with the sub-par on board product as well as experience at PVG. With the new terminal open at ICN and KE already offering a superior product me thinks it's just a matter of time for DL to push MU to the side and focus on KE once again. What say you?

OPS
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Im curious what your complaints were with the seat - the long haul J seat is probably the part of their service that most consistently gets good reviews. Was there a particular aspect of it you didnt like? And where in the cabin were you seated - the little mini cabin or the large main J cabin?

(the seat is very similar to Deltas A330 seat and Air Frances 777/787 BEST seat, for those unfamiliar - reverse herringbone in a 1-2-1 configuration.)
Old Nov 17, 18, 3:02 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
A simpler question: if MU direct booking and Ctrip price are relatively the same, which is preferable?
Old Nov 17, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Im curious what your complaints were with the seat - the long haul J seat is probably the part of their service that most consistently gets good reviews. Was there a particular aspect of it you didnt like? And where in the cabin were you seated - the little mini cabin or the large main J cabin?

(the seat is very similar to Deltas A330 seat and Air Frances 777/787 BEST seat, for those unfamiliar - reverse herringbone in a 1-2-1 configuration.)
Yah I haven't seen too many bad reviews of the hard product, more so the seat, very often.
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:58 am

The hard product was definitely not bad but the seat was just ok when it came to comfort. I know that varies from person to person but thats just my opinion. The one thing that really annoyed me, and this might seem quite picky, is there was no way to turn the light down/off for the seat control buttons. There were a couple times I woke up and the cabin was almost completely dark except for these buttons shining brightly in my face. I know I know first word problems. I did sit in the 2-row mini cabin and I did like that. Definitely made things feel more private because that back section of J is huge! Again, the hard product is bad and there are a few minor things that could be adjusted.

OPS
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:35 am

The hard product was definitely not bad but the seat was just ok when it came to comfort. I know that varies from person to person but thats just my opinion. The one thing that really annoyed me, and this might seem quite picky, is there was no way to turn the light down/off for the seat control buttons. There were a couple times I woke up and the cabin was almost completely dark except for these buttons shining brightly in my face. I know I know first word problems. I did sit in the 2-row mini cabin and I did like that. Definitely made things feel more private because that back section of J is huge! Again, the hard product is bad and there are a few minor things that could be adjusted.

OPS
This hasn't been my experience at all. I think MU beats all the USA big 3 airlines when it comes to service and seat comfort in J class. The seat is still my favorite style J seat, the same one that CX and AF use. Never fail to get a good nights sleep on these seats. The food is bad, but I've never had a good meal out of PVG on any airline so I think it's more about PVG than MU specifically (although I'm sure they could make changes if they wanted). Service is better than US big 3 generally. Only areas lacking are drink selection and quantity and entertainment. Also don't forget you had access to WiFi the entire flight for free!
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:38 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I just flew MU in the back again, LAX-PVG (stop) PVG-TPE-LAX. 3-4 on not getting a remote gate. Constant smoking in the crew rest area on the LAX-PVG segment (nothing on the return). No problem getting into the lounges with only my boarding pass. Miles credited within a few days. On one segment, my Delta number didn't print on the boarding pass which kept me out of the elite security line, but they let me board (the bus) early when I showed them STE+ in the Delta app.
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
This hasn't been my experience at all. I think MU beats all the USA big 3 airlines when it comes to service and seat comfort in J class. The seat is still my favorite style J seat, the same one that CX and AF use. Never fail to get a good nights sleep on these seats. The food is bad, but I've never had a good meal out of PVG on any airline so I think it's more about PVG than MU specifically (although I'm sure they could make changes if they wanted). Service is better than US big 3 generally. Only areas lacking are drink selection and quantity and entertainment. Also don't forget you had access to WiFi the entire flight for free!
Isn't this a very similar seat to the one on AA's 787s?

Between the (slightly) better food and the much quieter, more comfortable plane, the AA 787 J is the winner here to me.
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad View Post
Isn't this a very similar seat to the one on AA's 787s?

Between the (slightly) better food and the much quieter, more comfortable plane, the AA 787 J is the winner here to me.
No, the AA seats are pairs connected to each other, one facing forward and one facing back so whenever your opposite moves his/her seat you can feel it quite clearly. The MU seats are more similar to the AA 777 seats but these don't feature on any China routes aside from HK.
Old Nov 19, 18, 3:29 pm

OK - looks like the 787-8 has what you describe.

But the 787-9 has what I'm describing. And I've taken it (LAX <-> TYO) and it's fantastic.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
I meant to say in that last line of my post I did not think the hard product was bad. I also thought the food out of LAX wasn't great but then again I decided to try the Chinese dish and I guess that can be hit or miss. I tried to get on the wifi but wasn't able to. For future flights, how do you connect?

OPS
Old Nov 21, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I meant to say in that last line of my post I did not think the hard product was bad. I also thought the food out of LAX wasn't great but then again I decided to try the Chinese dish and I guess that can be hit or miss. I tried to get on the wifi but wasn't able to. For future flights, how do you connect?

OPS
The instructions to access the on-board WiFi are in the in-flight magazine.To get on the WiFi, first connect to CE-AIR in WiFi Settings, type in the web address that is shown in the magazine (apologies as I've forgotten the web address!), type in your seat # and finally type in the last four #s of your passport! I just used it from LAX>PVG>LAX recently and it worked perfectly! You can access virtually the whole web, including Messages, Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp, WeChat, and online games like Wordfeud etc.

Search this Thread