Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
As my maths is appalling, can someone help me out with this question please?

How many MQDs will I get for the following flights on MU?
SFO>PVG>HKG >PVG>SFO in economy class with a fare of $750
SFO>PVG>HKG>PVG>SFO in business class with a fare of $3,000

I need $3,250 to qualify for DM!

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:16 pm

That depends on the booking classes of each.

As a general reference, I just flew MU LAX-PVG-HKG-PVG-LAX in business for about $2400, and got about $5900 MQDs for it. My trans-pac flights were in I and my intra-Asias were in J.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Emirates Silver
Depending on the discounted economy class:
Economy class T,G,Z = 694 MQD
Economy class K,L,N,R,S,V = 1388 MQD
Economy class M,E,H = 2776 MQD
Business class C,D,Q,I = 5553 MQD

I have done LAX-PVG-DEL and back and I earned 30,140 MQM and 7,324 MQD on a $1900 Business Class Ticket. You would need a India Visa though. For 11/5-11/8, I am seeing $2750 for this flight from SFO and from LAX, its coming out at $2200.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If you fly business at least the trans-pac will be 40% of distance flown as MQDs. Significant. Sometimes depending on routing you can get DM spend with two MU flights to singapore or tokyo.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
That depends on the booking classes of each.

As a general reference, I just flew MU LAX-PVG-HKG-PVG-LAX in business for about $2400, and got about $5900 MQDs for it. My trans-pac flights were in I and my intra-Asias were in J.
Thanks! I just booked the same itinerary for $2,325! So I'll get at least the $3,286 MQDs that I need to re-qualify! I also booked SFO>LAX>SFO to connect to this itinerary, and still saved over $300 vs flying out of SFO, plus an extra 1K MQMs.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:18 pm

Nice! Unfortunately, in LAX, connecting from Delta to the international terminal either means a bus (not the easiest) or a walk outside and back in through security again (and no TSA Pre for MU).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:51 pm

Nice! Unfortunately, in LAX, connecting from Delta to the international terminal either means a bus (not the easiest) or a walk outside and back in through security again (and no TSA Pre for MU).
Yes I've done this before and taken the bus. At least I have a 2 hrs + layover!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just wondering... why the MQD legerdemain?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's MQD parade, but why the ever-shifting sands of MQM % versus just earning the good ol' fashioned way -- pay the $$$, earn the MQMs?

Seems overly complex and easy to abuse.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's MQD parade, but why the ever-shifting sands of MQM % versus just earning the good ol' fashioned way -- pay the $$$, earn the MQMs?

Delta can’t know how much revenue partners are getting outside a JV due to antitrust rules. Delta doesn’t serve all international destinations. I, for one, appreciate that flying partners on their own ticket stock can be part of my annual qualification dollars and miles, unlike competing airlines like UA. The only way to do that is some sort of percentage based approach. It’s not really that complicated, and it’s calibrated to roughly approximate the MQD you probably would otherwise earn.

In cases of airlines like MU and AM, being able to earn miles has driven me to buy tickets on airlines I might not have otherwise considered that DL has an ownership stake in. I’ve found I rather like both airlines, actually, and I might not have tried them otherwise.

When sale business class fares appear, yes, you can sometimes do better than par for MQD earning. (Seems really rare on Y fares.). And yes, I enjoy booking these fares. But it’s also directly serving DL’s business goals of driving more premium cabin traffic to their partly-owned airlines...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta

What is overly complex? There is a fare table and it earns as the fare table there is. Abuse? Delta publishes the charts...
SuperG1955, FSUnole03 and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Not so. I did it today. Air side to air side.
But i have to admit the option is well hidden.

Just ask for the connections for International and they direct you to a gate, downstairs then but to Bradley.
All in all, I was at my China Eastern counter 15 minutes after getting off my Delta plane.

Though if you do exit, there is no Pre Check so it becomes a 30 min process.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22
Not so. I did it today. Air side to air side.
But i have to admit the option is well hidden.

Just ask for the connections for International and they direct you to a gate, downstairs then but to Bradley.
All in all, I was at my China Eastern counter 15 minutes after getting off my Delta plane.

Though if you do exit, there is no Pre Check so it becomes a 30 min process.
Can you tell me where the walkway is? I haven't seen it - I'd love to find it.

And, if you want pre-check for TBIT, I find the best answer is to enter Terminal 4, and then take the new connector over to TBIT. Even without pre-check, it's usually a time saver due to lines at TBIT.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM,
Do you have to book these tickets on the "MU" airlines's website? Or, for that matter, do you have to book these airfares on the partner airlines website's? Lastly, if your Delta FF# doesn't appear after entering it on the reservation and the language barrier prevents you from doing it at "check in", could you just send the boarding passes to Delta for "MQD" credit?

Thanks in advance. I've been asking this question for over 2 years with no straight answer.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Do you have to book these tickets on the "MU" airlines's website? Or, for that matter, do you have to book these airfares on the partner airlines website's? Lastly, if your Delta FF# doesn't appear after entering it on the reservation and the language barrier prevents you from doing it at "check in", could you just send the boarding passes to Delta for "MQD" credit?

Thanks in advance. I've been asking this question for over 2 years with no straight answer.
I have booked China Eastern tickets on Expedia without any problems.

As for the FF#, you can always enter the number during online checkin at their website China Eastern Airline-US Official Site?Airline Tickets & Travel Deals
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM,
canuck_traveler,

Thank you very much. I will try this after the new year to start my first Diamond "run". Platinum for 10+ years on private spend. Atlanta based and 0 for 63 on upgrades this year, majority of which are "K" fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.