FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta DM experience flying China Eastern
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:36 pm
TProphet

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
1. You don't need to clear immigration. You go through a special lane, have your passport checked (there are two lines - one with PSB officers working and a machine "self-service check-in" - the machines are flaky, stay to the left and interact with a human), and then go through airport security. You're then back in the international transit lounge.

2. You do need to check out of Hong Kong so please allow extra time for this.

3. MU business class is lie flat seats. The service is mainland China service from a state owned enterprise, Communist hospitality at its finest. The catering isn't spectacular. For some reason China Eastern pilots smoke like chimneys, so the closer you are to the cockpit the more it will smell like smoke. It's definitely better than economy class, but it's around on the quality level of United versus, say, Cathay Pacific.

Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Sorry to steer this thread in a little different direction. I just booked a great business class fare on MU, YYZ-PVG-HKG, but ultimately I will end up heading over to Dongguan/Shenzhen. I've been over many times, but never this routing, which I took because the fare on Expedia seemed pretty good.
My questions are:
1. Transiting PVG, do I need to clear immigration since I'm not entering mainland China at this point? I did this a few years ago and seem to recall a transit area that skipped the main immigration.
2. On arrival to Hong Kong, I won't be able to get a ferry until the next morning, and on the way back, I have to come in the night before as well. What is the process for getting to the ferry terminal from a hotel, and on the way back from the ferry terminal to the hotel? Is it as simple as walking in/out, or is their immigration,security etc that will take some time?
3. Overall, will I be happy, or unhappy bookin MU in business? Flown their domestic first lots of times and it's nothing to get to excited about.
Thanks!