Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox

4. Lounges - MU will be strick (along with CZ) that you cannot access their domestic lounges unless you have an F ticket, but keep in mind same day connections from international itin give you access, even to their domestic lounges.
I was told once by PVG check-in staff that the domestic lounge access rule is 24 hours, not same day, so if you arrive in the evening then have a domestic flight the next morning, you should still have lounge access (for ST E+). Normally, as stated, lounge access is strictly only for First Class or domestic airline elite frequent fliers. IMHO I would agree, Chinese domestic coach in either CZ or MU is much better than any US coach.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I am planning an award trip where I will do a stopover at PVG on the way to XIY, then an open jaw returning from PEK, so I will need to get from XIY to PEK. A coach ticket is in the $200s and FC is in the $400s for the just under 2 hour flight, and I am considering flying coach.

So coach on MU was acceptable? I have a mental picture of it being a zoo flying coach in China.
Coach shouldn't cost more than $90 on XIY-PEK unless you book within 3 days of the flight. The train is also a good option.

Regarding MU, I fly them 4x/month out of necessity (rarely earning even 25% mileage credit btw), and simply loathe the experience.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Coach shouldn't cost more than $90 on XIY-PEK unless you book within 3 days of the flight.
Where are you finding these fares? I am looking on MU's website and they are ~$250.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:00 pm

Where are you finding these fares? I am looking on MU's website and they are ~$250.
Ctrip, e.g.:

06-05-2014 23:05 06-06-2014 01:00
Flight no. HU7738 (Economy) Ticket policy
Fares
Adult 1 x 370 CNY
Taxes & fees
Adult 1 x 170 CNY
Total
CNY540

(This is $88)
Old May 27, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Ctrip, e.g.:

06-05-2014 23:05 06-06-2014 01:00
Flight no. HU7738 (Economy) Ticket policy
Fares
Adult 1 x 370 CNY
Taxes & fees
Adult 1 x 170 CNY
Total
CNY540

(This is $88)
Thanks. I was able to replicate this booking on ctrip, but if I try it on HU's website it comes out to $224. I assume that you have used ctrip before and they are legit, right? How can they sell tickets for so much less?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks. I was able to replicate this booking on ctrip, but if I try it on HU's website it comes out to $224. I assume that you have used ctrip before and they are legit, right? How can they sell tickets for so much less?
It's an n of 1 but I had no problem buying a ticket from elong.net, another Chinese online agent, owned by expedia. Price for discounted first class on elong.net was the same as coach on expedia. Only earned 30% mileage or something because of the fare class. But my ST elite + was recognized for lounge access, fast lane security, etc. at SHA.
Check the other Asian airlines board here for other experiences.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:19 pm

Ctrip is the largest online travel agency in the world if I'm not mistaken... yes they are legit. I use them about 3x/month, but I've never felt their prices were anything special (i.e. specific airline sites and old school travel agents tend to sell tickets for the same prices; the system is extremely cut and dry). I just like ctrip because they throw their weight around when things go wrong.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:43 pm

Thanks Moondog and Mot29 for those two websites. As you said Mot29, I am seeing FC for the same price as economy on the airlines' own websites. I may just pay the extra cash and fly in FC.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks Moondog and Mot29 for those two websites. As you said Mot29, I am seeing FC for the same price as economy on the airlines' own websites. I may just pay the extra cash and fly in FC.
moondog is one of the folks who gave me good advice when I asked about China travel in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...guangzhou.html
Old May 28, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mot29
moondog is one of the folks who gave me good advice when I asked about China travel in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...guangzhou.html
And checkout the China forum - moondog is an Ambassador there.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Just coming back from a trip to Japan/China that involved 4 MU flights in coach, including 2 @ 12-14 hours each. Never, ever again will I fly China Eastern. I'm pretty tough when it comes to flying long haul in economy, but these were rough flights. Staff from check in agents to FA's are rough, rude and surly. The food is not quite as bad as Air France, but pretty close. I was afraid to eat it. Pilots smoked during all 4 flights, so cigarette smoke was always in the plane. The on-board lavatories were disasters within an hour of departing. No in-seat power. The inflight entertainment systems reset themselves every single time there was an announcement on board. On the PVG-LAX flight, they were out of red wine immediately after the first meal service. My wife wanted white, but they didn't have it. The lounges at PVG airport are just unbelievably disgusting. Unreal experience.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Pilots smoked during all 4 flights, so cigarette smoke was always in the plane.
Ah, so that is still happening. That mirrors my experiences, both with long and short haul int'l MU flights. (But just for the smoking part. The food on MU has been always good, and the service likewise. Without a doubt many fold better than DL. But may be it has went downhill as of late..)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just coming back from a trip to Japan/China that involved 4 MU flights in coach, including 2 @ 12-14 hours each. Never, ever again will I fly China Eastern. I'm pretty tough when it comes to flying long haul in economy, but these were rough flights. Staff from check in agents to FA's are rough, rude and surly. The food is not quite as bad as Air France, but pretty close. I was afraid to eat it. Pilots smoked during all 4 flights, so cigarette smoke was always in the plane. The on-board lavatories were disasters within an hour of departing. No in-seat power. The inflight entertainment systems reset themselves every single time there was an announcement on board. On the PVG-LAX flight, they were out of red wine immediately after the first meal service. My wife wanted white, but they didn't have it. The lounges at PVG airport are just unbelievably disgusting. Unreal experience.
That sounds awful
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:55 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
. The food is not quite as bad as Air France, but pretty close.
AF food is pretty good, so not sure how I can trust you
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I have my first experience with China Eastern coming up on Saturday when I fly DL NRT-PVG and MU PVG-DEL. Still hoping the international-to-international SkyTeam transfer goes smoothly in PVG and doesn't require immigration, claiming bags and re-checking in at the counter.

I'll report back after arriving in DEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.