Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM
LGA-DEN

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but was wondering if anyone had insight on how to gauge when to use an RUC or pray for a standard upgrade.

Current flight at hand: 3 weeks out, 8am flight, LGA-DEN, 9 biz seats available and upgrades on sale for $350.

(No transcon flights on the agenda...)

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jbren399
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but was wondering if anyone had insight on how to gauge when to use an RUC or pray for a standard upgrade.

Current flight at hand: 3 weeks out, 8am flight, LGA-DEN, 9 biz seats available and upgrades on sale for $350.

Thanks for the help!
With RUC's almost never clearing in advance anymore... I usually call first to see if it will clear immediately. Then I just wait until check-in and see where I am on the list. If I am low I'll call in and apply the RUC to get to the top of the list.

Honestly I can't remember the last time a RUC cleared in advance for me.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm on RUC waitlists for two different PNRs, and both are showing the second seatmap. Note that this is only visible on the web site and not the app.
Same here. Same for the last few times I've waitlisted. Of course...none of them have cleared, but the ones I did inside T-24 did move me up the UG list.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
For what it's worth, I think using the Delta Twitter customer service is no longer worth the effort. A couple years ago, they used to have magical powers. Now, increasingly, the Twitter agents can't help me. Also, it's often quicker just calling the diamond desk. The only time I use the Twitter agents now is when I'm in-flight or overseas.
+1. DL's twitter is worthless - for me, not only are they more confused than ever, but the past few times it's taken them 2-3 days to respond to multiple DMs, after which my trip is over and I don't need them anymore. I've given up and just call in for everything now.

OTOH, the phone agents also seem to hate the RUC process. The guy I was talking with yesterday was literally muttering to himself the entire time he was applying my RUCs. When I asked him he very professionally commented that working with RUCs "takes a bit of work".

Originally Posted by bretthexum
With RUC's almost never clearing in advance anymore... I usually call first to see if it will clear immediately. Then I just wait until check-in and see where I am on the list. If I am low I'll call in and apply the RUC to get to the top of the list.

Honestly I can't remember the last time a RUC cleared in advance for me.
I do something similar, except I apply the RUC after the PM/DM upgrade window. If it's a flight I have a stronger desire of an UG, I figure if I don't get one at the window it's going to the airport list anyway, so I might was well get the extra help in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jbren399

Thanks for the help!
If I were you I would make the attempt.

I look at the circumstances of my flights, from pre-arrival at departure airport to the state of readiness I need to be in at arrival. Most times my DisComfort+ seat does just fine. For those few times I am stuck in the back it doesn’t matter. But if there’s a long flight where it would be nice to have the seat and/or meal I’ll apply the RUC and see what happens. I’ve got a a handful of trans cons this month and next and was able to get RUCs to clear on IAD-ATL-SJC and another one SJC-MSP-IAD.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Just imagine the wasted time for both customers and twitter/diamond desk for using these stupid things. My number one request to Delta is to make RUC/GUC inventory searchable thru the website. Even if the inventory is reduced, it would save both customer and Delta countless hours in productivity.
It's nonsense to call/tweet, and go thru the "can you check this flight", "can you check that one", "how about the day after"
This is my single biggest gripe with Delta and the SkyMiles program. I truly believe Delta has kept this process archaic in order to keep certificate breakage high and thus lower the cost associated with offering them. It is very subversive and opaque on Delta's part.
bretthexum likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
I just used my 4 RUCs from CHS (Charleston) to CTG (Cartagena) and return for 2 passengers in April.. I called in to confirm eligibility before booking and they were able to clear them immediately. Good value as coach was $250 a ticket and first was over $800 a ticket, so these were worth about $1100 to me.

I would have loved to say everything was smooth but I had a back and forth with the agent for 15-20 minutes trying to convince them that RUCs are available for CTG. She tried to tell me at least two or three times that I would need GUCs instead of RUCs but I pointed to the Delta website and said that RUCs clearly state "Northern South America" as a region, and if CTG is not considered Northern SA then I wasn't sure what other destination would qualify, as CTG is almost as far north as you can get. I held firm and after the third time of me pushing back, she put me on hold for about 5 minutes and checked with a supervisor, she eventually came back to tell me they were available. A bit frustrating but I'm glad I was able to make use of them so early, at least now I don't have to worry about clearing, waitlisting, etc. for the rest of the year.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
This is my single biggest gripe with Delta and the SkyMiles program. I truly believe Delta has kept this process archaic in order to keep certificate breakage high and thus lower the cost associated with offering them. It is very subversive and opaque on Delta's part.
I think it is more to give the impression that there actually might be availability. If they allowed you to see it online you would see how virtually every flight has no availability. The usage of the RUCs and GUCs are embarrassing. For the 5th straight year I have coupons left over that I never used because there is zero availability. I don't like wasting them on short dumpy flights where I usually get a medallion upgrade anyway, but might be time to start.

Have still yet to use it once on an int'l flight
bretthexum likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I used a RUC on a 2 segment itinerary, both legs cleared immediately and the ticket was reissued. There was a 90 minute schedule change on my first segment, IAD-ATL. I asked if I could switch to a DCA-ATL segment that leaves at the same time as my original flight. The agent said I can change without penalty, but since there is no RUC availability on DCA-ATL I would be waitlisted rather than staying in F on that segment. Is this correct?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I used a RUC on a 2 segment itinerary, both legs cleared immediately and the ticket was reissued. There was a 90 minute schedule change on my first segment, IAD-ATL. I asked if I could switch to a DCA-ATL segment that leaves at the same time as my original flight. The agent said I can change without penalty, but since there is no RUC availability on DCA-ATL I would be waitlisted rather than staying in F on that segment. Is this correct?
Yes that's correct.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Originally Posted by WWads
Yes that's correct.
I might not give up quite so easily. This experience is somewhat dated and things may have changed, but:

Originally Posted by Zorak
click "REGIONAL UPGRADE TERMS & CONDITIONS" and see #14 :

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/choice-benefits/systemwide-upgrade-certificates.html
​​​​

Last year I had a reservation with a cleared RUC that had a schedule change below MCT. They were willing to work with me for flights within reason, but said if I wanted to go from redeye to first flight the morning of the same day (I think it was something like 13 hours earlier) at that point it'd be considered a voluntary change and I'd lose the cert. Don't know if HUCA would have changed anything but it sounded reasonable and DL has done me favors before so I didn't push it.
Item #14 still reads "Changes: Voluntary changes in reservations on ticketed itineraries are permitted only pursuant to the rules of the fare purchased, but upgrade is not guaranteed and will depend on availability and these terms and conditions. Where permitted, changes may require payment of a change fee and/or any difference in the applicable fare. Any refund or cancellation will result in the loss of the upgrade certificate."

IMO this hinges on what "voluntary" means, and while 90-minute schedule change isn't the same thing as a new schedule violating MCT, this seems worth at least one HUCA.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zorak
I might not give up quite so easily. This experience is somewhat dated and things may have changed, but:

Item #14 still reads "Changes: Voluntary changes in reservations on ticketed itineraries are permitted only pursuant to the rules of the fare purchased, but upgrade is not guaranteed and will depend on availability and these terms and conditions. Where permitted, changes may require payment of a change fee and/or any difference in the applicable fare. Any refund or cancellation will result in the loss of the upgrade certificate."

IMO this hinges on what "voluntary" means, and while 90-minute schedule change isn't the same thing as a new schedule violating MCT, this seems worth at least one HUCA.
I called again and same response. This time the agent elevated to a supervisor without my asking for it, and they again offered to make the change but waitlist the upgrade. Since the RUC has already expired I didn't think that was a good idea. It's odd that the DCA-ATL flight has all 20 seats available on the seatmap but no RUC space (early morning flight on a Sunday). I will try calling back closer to the date to see if availability opens up.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Seat map shows fewer seats than booking availability

Anyone ever seen this? I am monitoring my chances of clearing waitlisted RUCs. Seatmap shows only one seat in F. Booking allows 4 tickets. I know seatmap isn’t reliable for kinowing how many seats are available as some may not be assigned, but has anyone ever seen seatmap show fewer seats than Delta.com is offering to sell? Wondering if a Delta.com glitch and there really is only one seat. Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
For those wondering about the D1 Hawaii routes and whether RUCs are clearing before the 4/1 policy change, I can confirm that they are. My HNL-MSP in May cleared the other day. ^
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I have an upgrade waitlisted, and it has the second seat map. In the top right of that area, the text says UPGRADE CONTACT DELTA. I called, but the agent couldn't tell me anything other than that there were no upgrades available. Anyone know what this means? I also think the agent (and some others I talked to while trying to waitlist) was entirely confused by the concept of RUCs since I only have access to the FO line now.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Seems possible your upgrade has cleared and ticket needs reissue, and that it's technically true there is no (remaining) upgrade space available... Seems worth a HUCA if you haven't already...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.