Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Not sure about the current situation during COVID, but in the before times I think e.g. KEF was one of the routes thus served (although it also sometimes had 75S flatbeds too)
So right before Covid I did a number of flights on domestic recliner 757‘s to Central America. These were always marketed in 2019 as just First class though. Have those flights switched to DPS marketing?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Good data point. If you now have OV, that looks like they follow the procedure in the chart above to apply a GUC instead of a RUC to a domestic flight in F. So J = OV. As we get more data points it’ll be interesting to compare reality to what is policy. Just curious, before they process the upgrade, did delta.com show the flight as “Global Upgrade Available” or “Upgrade Available”? Since there’s a new differentiation between these two flags it may have been tough to notice it if you weren’t aware there’s now two different labels.

I have to be honest they have made this aircraft layout to class mapping based differently on GUC vs RUC incredibly complex. If it’s still a highly manual process like before and up to to the agent to manually follow the published steps with little automation, then we are likely going to see the rules applied differently than policy, at least until agents become familiar with the new rules. But it’s so complex and we saw that agents sometimes apply different rules previously, I don’t know how they’re ever going to remember all of these class mapping’s.

I imagine exceptions like this will last longer than just the first day of the transition.
I could see the manual process causing issues. It seemed like the reservation agent coded the OV and then transferred me to ticketing and that agent offhanded mentioned a Global Certificate being applied (I didn’t correct her since I don’t have any GUCs).

Also, the Delta.com stated availability is another interesting question and could be related to my comments above. My itinerary was IND-ATL-SKB. I can’t check my outbound now because there are no F seats. But if you looked to book SKB-ATL-IND it says “Upgrade Available” (Delta.com paid C), but if you look for SKB-ATL it says “Global Upgrade Available” (Delta.com paid D) so I wonder if the segment difference impacted how the agent booked the upgrade. I do understand that split itineraries could mean different fare classes, but I find that interesting for the upgrade case.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPants
Also, the Delta.com stated availability is another interesting question and could be related to my comments above. My itinerary was IND-ATL-SKB. I can’t check my outbound now because there are no F seats. But if you looked to book SKB-ATL-IND it says “Upgrade Available” (Delta.com paid C), but if you look for SKB-ATL it says “Global Upgrade Available” (Delta.com paid D) so I wonder if the segment difference impacted how the agent booked the upgrade. I do understand that split itineraries could mean different fare classes, but I find that interesting for the upgrade case.
I noticed this too and posted this morning about it in the thread about the new website upgrade availability flags. Before today, the Upgrade flag would show for connecting flights that only have upgrade space on part of the trip. As of yesterday it seems so far that it only shows for connecting flights that have the upgrade inventory all the way through. I actually like this change. I hated looking though all the markers for conx before that had the flag only because a 50 min feeder into a D1 flight had availablity. The new way is way cleaner and more helpful.

Lastly, I think you are right about split itineraries. Its called Married Segments. Since they are using Z for some eligibility now (which is primarily a revenue bucket), the website probably only shows availability when Z is available as a married segment. Whereas in reality (unless this has changed with new rules) they can still pull inventory for upgrades point to point. Though in this case if ATL-MSP-SEA shows married Z=0 but ATL-MSP is Z=1+ and MSP-SEA is Z=1+ then the website would not show the upgrade tag, but you should be able to call in and get it anyways. I would not be surprised if in the future they start requiring married segment upgrade space like AF/KL have for years.
FlyingPants likes this.

Last edited by Utskicat; Feb 2, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPants
I could see the manual process causing issues. It seemed like the reservation agent coded the OV and then transferred me to ticketing and that agent offhanded mentioned a Global Certificate being applied (I didn’t correct her since I don’t have any GUCs).
That's exactly what happened. In my experience, DL actually has very little automation in place to control this. I don't even think that agents realize it. They have a list of complex ticketing entries that exist for RM reporting I would imagine, and in the end the GUC/RUC cert number (which is just a 006 ticket number really) is used as the exchange document. Since the agent actually "manually reissues" the ticket, whatever they enter before the reissue command just gets forcibly pushed, whether it is right or wrong.

Case and point, 2 years ago, I called in to apply a GUC for a KLM flight. I had a bunch of RUCs in my account as well. The agent accidently used 2 RUC certificate numbers to process the upgrade. Guess what, it worked. I didn't even realize it until 6 months later when I went to use a RUC and saw that I had 2 less RUC's than I should and 2 extra GUC's I shouldn't. I had to go back thru my ticket history to find where the "exchange document" was the RUC number not a GUC number to even figure out which trip used the RUCs.

So in the end I think these agents do their best to get the correct inventory/fare bucket based on policy and try to get these complex entries entered. But whether they got it all right has minimum checks on the backend because in its nature, the manual reissue at the end is sort of a "forced" action anyway that pushed the change through regardless. As long as this is how DL handles the technology piece of these upgrades, there are always going to be exceptions where you get more than you should (yay!) or agents refuse to give you what they should because the interpret or misread the complex rules.

Last edited by Utskicat; Feb 2, 2022 at 8:07 am
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello Everyone
We will start a clean fresh thread to discuss the post 2/1/2022 changes much like we did with the GUC thread. Let's keep the conversation going here:
Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Thanks

Ryandc99

Moderator Delta Air Lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.