Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. Untill rev mgmt releases upgrade space nothing to be done.
Is there any kind of timeline for Rev Mgmt to do this?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Whenever they please, or never.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I just had the oddest experience try to apply my (first ever) RUC:

Flying JFK-SFO-JFK, the SFO-JFK return is a red-eye, so I thought it'd be a great opportunity to get into D1 and get some real sleep. I chose my choice benefit a couple of hours ago, and the certs showed up in my wallet about 30 minutes ago.

As soon as I saw them, I called the Plat line and specifically asked them to "Apply my RUC to the August 11th SFO-JFK Red Eye flight". Customer Service representative had no problem doing that - first asked to make sure that I didn't want to do it on both the outbound and the return, and I confirmed that I only wanted it on the return leaving SFO.

Just checked the website about 5 minutes ago and it says I'm waitlisted on the JFK-SFO flight, which is not what I wanted - oh well! Mistakes happen! Here's where it gets weird.

I called the Plat line back to ask them to remove the cert on that flight and apply it to the SFO-JFK leg. Representative tells me that "Because this is a transcon, you can only use GUCs, but because we said we'd do it, we'll honor it, and we have confirmed space so I will get you on that right now"

Am I crazy? Are reps this wrong often? Either way, it looks like I'm properly in D1 right now according to the website, so it's all good. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I have a confirmed seat, and it still wants to upsell me (at a cost of $858!) to pick a D1 seat.

ARG!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by manacit
Am I crazy? Are reps this wrong often? Either way, it looks like I'm properly in D1 right now according to the website, so it's all good. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I have a confirmed seat, and it still wants to upsell me (at a cost of $858!) to pick a D1 seat.

ARG!
Yes, they are wrong quite often.

It sounds like your booking was confirmed into D1 but you have not yet been reticketed (you can check to see if the ticket # on the website still matches the one on your original purchase receipt).

It may be worth yet another call to have them go ahead and push the reticketing through, just to make sure you don't have any problems later on.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just checked the website about 5 minutes ago and it says I'm waitlisted on the JFK-SFO flight, which is not what I wanted - oh well! Mistakes happen! Here's where it gets weird.

I called the Plat line back to ask them to remove the cert on that flight and apply it to the SFO-JFK leg. Representative tells me that "Because this is a transcon, you can only use GUCs, but because we said we'd do it, we'll honor it, and we have confirmed space so I will get you on that right now"

ARG!
So many problems here potentially. First, are you sure there was immediate RUC availability for those flights? If not, you were properly waitlisted. The way that typically comes up is exactly what you are describing: you can't select a seat. As someone who has done this flight nearly 30x this year, this is what it sounds like to me, but of course I would call and check to clarify whether you already cleared or whether you are on the waitlist.

Hope this helps,

ab
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Talking

Originally Posted by ab_initio
So many problems here potentially. First, are you sure there was immediate RUC availability for those flights? If not, you were properly waitlisted. The way that typically comes up is exactly what you are describing: you can't select a seat. As someone who has done this flight nearly 30x this year, this is what it sounds like to me, but of course I would call and check to clarify whether you already cleared or whether you are on the waitlist.

Hope this helps,

ab

I appreciate the help!

I was expecting to be waitlisted given that it's ~3 weeks out and I know rev management doesn't love giving seats away. The issue started with me being originally waitlisted for the wrong flight (outbound instead of return), which is what started the need to call back a second time (and have a rep tell me that I should not be able to use a RUC on a D1 tcon). This was just a fat finger by the first person I called, which I totally understand happens (lord knows I do it at work often enough).

Beyond that, the second CSR told me that there was immediate UG space available, and I was properly showing as being ticketed in OY space when I was looking to select my seat. In the end, I was able to pick a seat on the mobile app, and I'm now happily confirmed in 1D. Surprising, but the seatmap shows all but 4 seats taken (including me), so it's definitely looking like a light load.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:37 am

I seem to have run into a new RUC IT issue...

Have a flight booked from LAX to JFK to LHR. Return is actually AMS to JFK to LAX. Tweeted Delta for assistance applying RUC to the LAX/JFK leg and JFK/LAX leg. They said applied to waitlist

Log in and flight info shows 5 legs -- it only doubled the LAX to JFK leg and shows " Upgrade Waitlisted" and "First Class (RY)" as the cabin/fare class for the duplicated leg. For the JFK to LAX leg it shows "Request Complimentary Upgrade" then "Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted" and Main Cabin.

However, once I click on the seat maps, I get 6 legs (duplicated both LAX/JFK leg seatmaps) with two blank seat maps.

Ooof ... no idea how this one will work out.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Representative tells me that "Because this is a transcon, you can only use GUCs, but because we said we'd do it, we'll honor it, and we have confirmed space so I will get you on that right now"
This is also wrong, though it used to be correct. When DL changed the upgrade policy on JFK-SFO/LAX to no medallion upgrades, they also made it so that you could only use a GUC, and not an RUC, to upgrade. But that got changed a couple of years ago so RUCs are eligible to upgrade the transcon D1 flights.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by conferencetraveler
I seem to have run into a new RUC IT issue...

Have a flight booked from LAX to JFK to LHR. Return is actually AMS to JFK to LAX. Tweeted Delta for assistance applying RUC to the LAX/JFK leg and JFK/LAX leg. They said applied to waitlist

Log in and flight info shows 5 legs -- it only doubled the LAX to JFK leg and shows " Upgrade Waitlisted" and "First Class (RY)" as the cabin/fare class for the duplicated leg. For the JFK to LAX leg it shows "Request Complimentary Upgrade" then "Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted" and Main Cabin.

However, once I click on the seat maps, I get 6 legs (duplicated both LAX/JFK leg seatmaps) with two blank seat maps.

Ooof ... no idea how this one will work out.
Call and ask an agent to email you an itinerary. On a DL-sent itinerary, I believe you can see the duplicated segments with the correct RY segment as standby.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Came in here to post a RUC success story!

Have PWM-MBJ and return booked for annual vacation (T & V fares purchased). Hit PM for 2018, selected upgrade certs, called in and all 4 segments had available inventory for both myself and companion! Some might argue to roll the dice and sweat out comp upgrades but I'm happy to use my benefits to "lock it in" now and avoid the anxiety of waiting to see.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
no sweat

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Came in here to post a RUC success story!

Have PWM-MBJ and return booked for annual vacation. . . . Some might argue to roll the dice and sweat out comp upgrades but I'm happy to use my benefits to "lock it in" now and avoid the anxiety of waiting to see.
Not the kind of sweat I'd want for my vacation, either. You chose the seats you want, together, and you're all set. I think it's a good play; you never know what kind of FCM deal DL will offer to fill the cabin and freeze you out.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AKC6
Not the kind of sweat I'd want for my vacation, either. You chose the seats you want, together, and you're all set. I think it's a good play; you never know what kind of FCM deal DL will offer to fill the cabin and freeze you out.
My thoughts exactly! Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Originally Posted by WWads
Whenever they please, or never.
I feel like there should be SOME sort of transparency to this. Dec flights to LAX and no one is in FC either flight. No instant clears for a RUC usage. It's 4+ months from now.

On a second note if I waitlist and some comes available and I am 1st in line does it upgrade then? Or is waitlist means it clears at gate?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
On a second note if I waitlist and some comes available and I am 1st in line does it upgrade then? Or is waitlist means it clears at gate?
Waitlist means it should clear immediately if rev management opens up space in advnace. But I emphasize the word should--so often, it doesn't automatically clear when space is opened, which is why it's important to call regularly about whether upgrade space has opened up or not.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Waitlist means it should clear immediately if rev management opens up space in advnace. But I emphasize the word should--so often, it doesn't automatically clear when space is opened, which is why it's important to call regularly about whether upgrade space has opened up or not.
Yah and that is a problem because then someone calls and it's open and gets a couple seats and you are waitlisted still. Their system is broken to say the least. Just like agents 'apply' it and it's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.