Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ahbi Chang
Got it. Does this still applies even though Delta has "linked" these two reservations (enough though on different PRN)? My understanding is that doing so is beneficial should our flight plans change, we would be moved together. Linking them won't inhibit one getting upgraded first while the other one is still in EC?

Thanks
Linking is nothing more then a note. You're no more likely to be kept together then if not linked.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Linking is nothing more then a note. You're no more likely to be kept together then if not linked.
Interesting. So just for future possible reservations, is it always best to simply have separate PNR's? Assuming a lone traveler has applied an RUC, myself and my companion would continously get passed over unless two spots open up (assuming two spots opening up at once happens less often)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Interesting. So just for future possible reservations, is it always best to simply have separate PNR's? Assuming a lone traveler has applied an RUC, myself and my companion would continously get passed over unless two spots open up (assuming two spots opening up at once happens less often)
Yes, for your specific scenario where you were desiring even one RUC instrument upgrade if possible, that is a good strategy.

However, for companion eligibility for complimentary upgrades at the priority level of the Medallion member, the companion must be together with the Medallion on the same PNR.

So, it depends on the scenario which is best.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Also, another complexity in my situation is that these tickets were booked on two separate confirmation numbers to lock in lower prices. They were able to upgrade my companion to DC right away and apply and RUC to her given we're on the same flight and I'm DM. However, not the typical 2 person same itinerary with 2 RUC's applied.
RUC's rules say passengers have to be on the same reservation. How did you go around it ? I had an agent doing it on the phone a couple years ago, but I suspect she didn't code it correctly and however D1 sold out.
Interested, since we have another TCON coming up in 3 weeks and seatmap looks good, but we are on different PNR's
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thesaints
RUC's rules say passengers have to be on the same reservation. How did you go around it ? I had an agent doing it on the phone a couple years ago, but I suspect she didn't code it correctly and however D1 sold out.
Interested, since we have another TCON coming up in 3 weeks and seatmap looks good, but we are on different PNR's
As long as on exact same flights, agents generally will apply regardless if one or two PNR.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by mnbp
Yes, for your specific scenario where you were desiring even one RUC instrument upgrade if possible, that is a good strategy.

However, for companion eligibility for complimentary upgrades at the priority level of the Medallion member, the companion must be together with the Medallion on the same PNR.

So, it depends on the scenario which is best.
I frequently have to book on separate PNRs as my travel is often booked through work and often time book in premium cabin through work. I've been able to use only one RUC on my companion given we're on the same flight and I'm already in premium cabin.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Always call to check on the status

I have a RUC pending for about 3 weeks now. - This is a JFK -SFO flight. When I was first told it was applied I double checked a few days later and didn't see the D1 seating map - typically a sign it was not applied correctly.

I called and inquired, the agent said "yes it is, oh wait, umm yes you are all set and still wait listed". I went back into my account and voila - the 2 seat maps now show.

My flight is now a week away with plenty of seats showing open in D1, but I'm still wait listed.

I call the DM line and ask if it looks like it will clear, the agent says "not as of yet.... oh wait, umm you have already cleared, hold please" then she comes back on and says she can assign me a seat.

I'm pretty sure had I not called I'd still be wait listed.

One day the automation will work, but until then call, call, call.
SFCav likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I've been on this thread for the past hour and even tried the search function but still am confused. Basically, I have applied (waitlisted) RUCs to two transcons, but the itinerary pages are displaying completely differently on both DL and the app.

Both are one-ways: JFK-LAX-LAS and LAS-LAX-JFK.

The outbound flight was bought more recently and originally was a direct flight, but I switched it to connect to LAX today because the small extra MQMs get me to Diamond and so I can burn an RUC.

I booked the return flight months ago and am pretty sure they have applied the RUC correctly as I had them apply a cert to another flight at the same time and that one cleared.

What baffles me is on the itinerary page of the outbound flight, the JFK-LAX segment is showing twice with the first saying the usual C+ (SU), but NO 'upgrade waitlisted' listed on it. On the second one it says 'upgrade waitlisted', seat not assigned/delta one (OY). It's also showing twice on the app with the second saying the same 'seat unassigned/delta one (OY)'.

Neither of these 'duplicate' segments are showing on the return flight, nor have I seen this on previous RUCs I've used.

Before I call delta, I just want to see if anyone else has had this happen. Does it mean they possibly coded it incorrectly? Or maybe I was upgraded to D1, but have not been assigned a seat ?

Last edited by NYCflip; Sep 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm Reason: Added details/made clearer
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCflip
Does it mean they possibly coded it incorrectly? Or maybe I was upgraded to D1, but have not been assigned a seat ?
This ^ Had this happen recently, called in and they needed to reissue the ticket, not sure why it doesn't happen automatically, but I had cleared but wasn't assigned the seat...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:58 am

Thanks JBJ2435! I called DL and the rep said she doesn't know why it's showing the duplicate segments. She even unapplied then reapplied the RUC and it still shows up. She also confirmed that I am still on the waitlist and have not cleared. Not sure if it makes sense for me to call them and have them 'reissue' it if they're saying I haven't cleared. Hmmm. HUCA?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by NYCflip
Thanks JBJ2435! I called DL and the rep said she doesn't know why it's showing the duplicate segments. She even unapplied then reapplied the RUC and it still shows up. She also confirmed that I am still on the waitlist and have not cleared. Not sure if it makes sense for me to call them and have them 'reissue' it if they're saying I haven't cleared. Hmmm. HUCA?
Q: (anything to do with certs)
A: HUCA
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Q: (anything to do with certs)
A: HUCA
Lol. Yep. Called back. Same response. She couldn't explain why the itineraries look differently. She did confirm it was all put in correctly. So back to square one.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Burned my last two for this year on SAT-ATL-RIC. Booking about 8 weeks ago, every flight that day had at least one seat available for upgrades. Of course, the SAT-ATL flight I wanted was the only flight of the day with only one seat, but I settled for the flight an hour earlier where DL could confirm both of us in F immediately. Not the greatest use of certs but the rest of my flights this year will be either by myself or a Christmas trip with the wife where I plan to use a companion cert, so I was happy to be able to confirm this flight at booking.

Over the last two years, I've used RUCs/GUCs on SAT-LAX-HNL-SLC-SAT, SAT-JFK, IAH-ATL-JFK-ATH-AMS-IAH, and SAT-ATL-RIC with all segments except SLC-SAT confirmed at booking, and I was able to confirm that one several months out. I'm pretty happy with the value I've gotten and will select them again this year.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow. Still nadda for instant clearing RUC ATL-LAX-ATL. When booked a few months ago there were 0 seats taken on outbound and 2 no return. Now there is 4 outbound and 6 return. On a triple-7. Delta holding those tight to the chest!

I waitlisted outbound and confirmed second seat map. If it clears I'll likely take the FCM offer of 310/person on the return. That's not a bad price at all!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I had a new experience with my RUCs today. Fortunately - all for the positive.

I had a RUC expiring on 9/28 and had a LGA-MSP-YVR flight for this Sunday. I was able to clear MSP-YVR instantly, and was wait listed for LGA-MSP.

Everything looked right - Delta.com said upgrade requested/waitlisted and a second seat map was showing.

Then a day before check in, I went to the site and it no longer said upgrade was requested/waitlisted and the box next to comp first class upgrades was unchecked. But the second seat map was still there.

Went to check in today, app wouldn't let me get past seat selection. Had to call Delta... issue was my RUC on LGA-MSP cleared, but then it caused issues with Delta's ticketing system, so the help desk had to re-issue the ticket with the new FC seats. After that was done, I got a confirmation email and was able to check in w/o issues

A nice surprise, since I was sitting in the main cabin on this flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.