Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Booked JFK LAX later this month. 757 and all 16 D1 seats are unoccupied.

Applied RUC about not confirmed yet. I do not see duplicate seat maps for C+ and D1. But I do see an upgrade status that says "Upgrade Waitlisted".

How can I be sure the RUC request was applied properly? The Twitter agent who applied the cert seemed proficient but that is no guarantee.

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mridley2
Booked JFK LAX later this month. 757 and all 16 D1 seats are unoccupied.

Applied RUC about not confirmed yet. I do not see duplicate seat maps for C+ and D1. But I do see an upgrade status that says "Upgrade Waitlisted".

How can I be sure the RUC request was applied properly? The Twitter agent who applied the cert seemed proficient but that is no guarantee.

Thanks
Waitlist thing should be good to go.

I can't, and seemingly no one car, figure out DL on early clearing. I have ATL-LAX-ATL and there are 20+ seats open and the flight is about 60 days out. When I booked it was the entire cabin and didn't instantly clear.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta holds upgrade inventory until they are absolutely sure they aren't going to sell the premium cabins out. I am on ATL-LAX in a little over an hour from now, and it went from 7 empty seats to 0 in the past week. It's back at 1 now, but who knows if that will clear. I am on an RUC and hoping to get it, but it is amazing how many last second First Class purchasers there are.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
Delta holds upgrade inventory until they are absolutely sure they aren't going to sell the premium cabins out. I am on ATL-LAX in a little over an hour from now, and it went from 7 empty seats to 0 in the past week. It's back at 1 now, but who knows if that will clear. I am on an RUC and hoping to get it, but it is amazing how many last second First Class purchasers there are.
In many cases this is by design, and the result of a high close-in coach fare.

LAX-ATL can be a $589 or higher 7 day or under purchase fare in say H or higher class, or discounted first may be available on ONE of the day's flights for only $100 more, in some cases.

For a flight that long - and with the SDC possibilities - who wouldn't pay the $100 upcharge? It seems so little compared to how expensive it is to be in coach at that point, anyways...and thus, DL successfully uses psychological anchoring to push more last minute purchases towards F, considering the relative value to Y. Not all routes are this way, but major routes where competition exists certainly are.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Same thing happened on my last LAX-JFK flight. I waitlisted on a RUC two months ahead for D1 on a 757 that was wide open until about two and a half weeks left to go. With about a week left, it was still more than half empty, and then by check-in, there were no open seats left.

On the bright side, I still have another two RT transcons remaining this year and was pleasantly surprised when one of my December flights actually cleared last week.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I don't book unless there is existing inventory, otherwise at as a Plat the upgrade typically won't clear. It wasn't this way years ago, but it certainly this way now.

The RUC use to be restricted to certain fare classes and Delta eliminated this. It was the one positive thing Delta did with the RUCs. Finding and utilizing inventory is a mess, and Delta counts on this breakage to make the certs less costly. Delta's obscurity on these certs is one of the most frustrating things with the SkyMiles program.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
i got lucky. One cleared this morning, and I got the upgrade. Apparently, I was the highest one using an RUC. Got a selfie with Jack Black on the flight too, which was pretty cool!
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:52 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
A new adventure for me - a couple weeks ago I waitlisted a RUC for a DTW-SFO leg on Monday. It did not clear in advance and nor had it cleared by check in time. I checked in at T-24 with my C+ seat but then discovered that I was not on the upgrade list. Thinking the certificate was not properly applied I called in, and the agent said the upgrade had already cleared but just hadn't gone through.

The two unfortunate parts about this were that I'm selecting from 2 remaining seats, neither of which I would have preferred, and if it had processed properly in advance I may have gotten a better seat. The other was that I had not applied the RUC to the shorter leg, but that cleared as a complimentary upgrade so no harm, no foul there. Neither is a huge deal - just pointing out that it's not optimal.

An interesting side effect was that "view upgrade/standby list" had consistently shown 2 seats available, and when my situation was fixed that dropped to 1. I always wonder where those seats disappear to when I'm hoping I get one ... I'm happy to be on the other side of that coin for once.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM
RUC Clearance Timing

I'm sorry if this has been already answered (though it is hard to tell with the search functionality and I wonder if things have changed with the increased reliance on FCM), but what is the typical timeline for RUCs to clear? In particular, how far in advance of departure does Delta typically open up upgrade availability and process requests? I'm currently "upgrade waitlisted" on a JFK-PHX with lie flats, as well as a LAX-JFK redeye in D1, and wondering what to expect.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nolesaid
I'm sorry if this has been already answered (though it is hard to tell with the search functionality and I wonder if things have changed with the increased reliance on FCM), but what is the typical timeline for RUCs to clear? In particular, how far in advance of departure does Delta typically open up upgrade availability and process requests? I'm currently "upgrade waitlisted" on a JFK-PHX with lie flats, as well as a LAX-JFK redeye in D1, and wondering what to expect.
My personnel experience is that inventory is rare up front, but can be found if you're flexible on your time/day of travel. If inventory isn't available at reservation time, I rarely see it open before the flight (some exceptions, but rare) - especially with lie-flat routes. If you do wait list a lie-flat I give it a 5% (or less) chance of clearing before T-24. Just my perception.

FWIW I won't use an RUC unless I can find inventory, just not worth it otherwise. Frequently I'll live with a standard domestic first seat (non-lie-flat) in order to use a cert. Fortunately I have some flexibility in my travel times.
nolesaid likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Oh good lord I'm losing patience with agents who can't properly put me on the RUC waitlist. Twice in the last week it's taken multiple phone calls to get sorted out. In both cases, when I called to be put on the waitlist after checking in, my position didn't change.

The first time, I protested and he said "I guess everyone ahead of you was using RUCs too." Played the HUACA game and was on hold for basically forever, but the new agent did eventually correct it. I ended up SDCing on to a direct flight, and eventually cleared, but couldn't check-in due to "not having a valid ticket applied" on the reservation. Basically 5 phone calls and more than an hour in total to get everything with this flight straightened out.

The second time again took multiple calls. On the 2nd call to ask them to get it coded properly, the agent said that she talked to her supervisor, to her help desk, and to everyone else and they all agreed that everything was as it was supposed to be. I told her I'd just talk to another agent, and guess what, the agent from the 3rd call was able to straighten it out, and I ended up #1 on the list.

I asked the last agent what the magic words were that I needed to say in order to get other agents to do things properly the first time and she said that the agent needed to make sure to un-check-in first before applying the RUC.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I asked the last agent what the magic words were that I needed to say in order to get other agents to do things properly the first time and she said that the agent needed to make sure to un-check-in first before applying the RUC.
Unfortunately, that is just one of the hundred different ways this entirely manual and error prone process can be done incorrectly.

The only automated validation for correct application of an RUC at DL is at T-24 check-in. If you aren't #1 or very close after T-24 check in, not being #1 or close on the list is your one and only indication that your RUC request was done wrong - in any one of the hundred different ways it is possible to screw up an RUC request in a reservation.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:50 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
I am about to reach Platinum, which makes me able to choose a benefit. I have 7 flights in 2018 who that are eligable for RUC, but after a call with DL i learned that 0!!! have RUC-Upgrade availability. I mainly fly ATL/MSP/DTW to LAX/SFO/LAS.
Is there any chance I will be succesfull with my RUC's, or is it better to choose another benefit if the chances on actually being able to use them seem slim.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by Hollandair
I am about to reach Platinum, which makes me able to choose a benefit. I have 7 flights in 2018 who that are eligable for RUC, but after a call with DL i learned that 0!!! have RUC-Upgrade availability. I mainly fly ATL/MSP/DTW to LAX/SFO/LAS.
Is there any chance I will be succesfull with my RUC's, or is it better to choose another benefit if the chances on actually being able to use them seem slim.
ATL/MSP/DTW to LAX/SFO are going to be tough. A lot of people just buy those seats, and the hub-hub routes are full of elites with lots of Platinums and Diamonds riding in the back.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
I agree with others. RUC's continue to be very difficult/impossible to use. I apply them to every flight I have over 2 hours and rarely get upgraded. I am #1 on the list so that's working, but virtually every flight I'm in is F0 at T-24.

Example, today I flew DEN ATL departing at 9:00 am arriving at 2:00 pm. I figured those times would avoid peak business travel. I was #1 on list, but it was F0.
jimmygottfredson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.