Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by trek87
I'm waitlisted for an upcoming trip using an RUC, but I only see one seatmap. Should I be worried?
I would say so. If you only see one seat map when you're looking at the reservation on your computer, I would call in to confirm that the agent applied it correctly.

N.B. Mobile versions of the site and the app will not show the second seat map.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
While the second seat map gives a high degree of confidence that it's coded correctly, absence of the second seat map is not dispositive. It could be correctly or incorrectly coded in that case.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
So I searched the thread but couldn't find this, apologies if I missed it --

I might be flying LHR-JFK-SFO (as a single-itinerary connection, not with stopover/separate tickets) sometime later this year. I'd ideally like to use an RUC on JFK-SFO and just fly LHR-JFK in coach. Will DL charge me the UK APD if the RUC clears in advance?
No, since in Y from LHR.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
So I searched the thread but couldn't find this, apologies if I missed it --

I might be flying LHR-JFK-SFO (as a single-itinerary connection, not with stopover/separate tickets) sometime later this year. I'd ideally like to use an RUC on JFK-SFO and just fly LHR-JFK in coach. Will DL charge me the UK APD if the RUC clears in advance?
Last August I flew LHR-JFK-LAX and used an RUC on JFK-LAX. The RUC cleared about a month out and I was not asked for any additional payments. I did, however, get the D1 baggage allowance out of LHR.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
It looks like I will make PM again around November. I haven't made my '17 choice yet (first year as PM). I intend to request RUCs.
What I am wondering is, can I make my '18 choice before my '17? I have decided to gift FO to my partner with my 2018 benefit. He's flying DL much more than we thought, and even the 2 extra miles per dollar seem kinda worth it, as well as him getting exit row and a free bag when flying separate from me. It isn't worth gifting FO from the '17 benefit now.
I'd like to push the RUC request to as late as possible for the '17 choice but don't know if they must be selected in order?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by RaflW
It looks like I will make PM again around November. I haven't made my '17 choice yet (first year as PM). I intend to request RUCs.
What I am wondering is, can I make my '18 choice before my '17? I have decided to gift FO to my partner with my 2018 benefit. He's flying DL much more than we thought, and even the 2 extra miles per dollar seem kinda worth it, as well as him getting exit row and a free bag when flying separate from me. It isn't worth gifting FO from the '17 benefit now.
I'd like to push the RUC request to as late as possible for the '17 choice but don't know if they must be selected in order?
Shortly after you qualify for 2018 PM, you'll see it as an option when going through the Choice Benefits selection screens. You check a box indicating which benefits year (2017 or 2018) you want to redeem.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by SFCav
I would say so. If you only see one seat map when you're looking at the reservation on your computer, I would call in to confirm that the agent applied it correctly.

N.B. Mobile versions of the site and the app will not show the second seat map.
Originally Posted by Zorak
While the second seat map gives a high degree of confidence that it's coded correctly, absence of the second seat map is not dispositive. It could be correctly or incorrectly coded in that case.
Thank you.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Swapping RUCs

I am planning a domestic trip that is a few months away. RUC inventory is currently available, but I might need to modify my ticket in a few weeks.

I am thinking about buying a refundable ticket now and grabbing the RUC seats. Once my schedule is confirmed (and assuming the same flights will work), I would book the cheaper (non-refundable) tickets and then call Delta to cancel the refundable tickets and "move" the RUC inventory to the new itinerary.

Has anyone done this? Will it work? Any pitfalls (other than the double-booking which I might avoid by booking the replacement itinerary during my call)?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I am planning a domestic trip that is a few months away. RUC inventory is currently available, but I might need to modify my ticket in a few weeks.

I am thinking about buying a refundable ticket now and grabbing the RUC seats. Once my schedule is confirmed (and assuming the same flights will work), I would book the cheaper (non-refundable) tickets and then call Delta to cancel the refundable tickets and "move" the RUC inventory to the new itinerary.

Has anyone done this? Will it work? Any pitfalls (other than the double-booking which I might avoid by booking the replacement itinerary during my call)?
I would not do this. Once the ticket is reissued with the RUC applied which might occur prior to your canceling the RUC is used up. I have been told by the Diamond desk that it stays with the ticket for a non-refundable ticket if you have to cancel or exchange but inventory has to be available. If no inventory is available it would go to the gate upgrade list and probably get you at or near the top but the RUC is gone if it doesn't clear at the gate. My guess is that for a refundable ticket the RUC will be gone since there is no ticket number that stays in the system.

I am not 100% certain but I do think losing the RUC is the likely outcome.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You can do this. However just rebook the ticket once ready. Do not call and cancel it. They can then apply the funds and RUC to new trip. If the RUCs don't clear on new trip you'll lose them.

If you call and cancel it, its likely to be refunded. In this case the RUCs will be lost.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can do this. However just rebook the ticket once ready. Do not call and cancel it. They can then apply the funds and RUC to new trip. If the RUCs don't clear on new trip you'll lose them.

If you call and cancel it, its likely to be refunded. In this case the RUCs will be lost.
I was thinking that the inventory would become available as soon as I canceled the refundable ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I was thinking that the inventory would become available as soon as I canceled the refundable ticket.
While not impossible, I would not count on that.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Hi everyone, hopefully a simple question here.

I've used a number of RUC's for an individual basis but am now trying to get myself and my companion upgraded. I have an LAX - JFK - YYZ flight coming up for myself and a companion. I have applied two RUC's for us on the LAX - JFK leg which is currently waitlisted. Is this the correct way to do this? Does having two RUC's in a waitlist together somehow not ideal? (Example: 1 spot may open up but neither of us will clear it because there are 2 of us). I recall reading some forum about the strategy when applying RUC's for two individuals but can't find it now. Also, another complexity in my situation is that these tickets were booked on two separate confirmation numbers to lock in lower prices. They were able to upgrade my companion to DC right away and apply and RUC to her given we're on the same flight and I'm DM. However, not the typical 2 person same itinerary with 2 RUC's applied.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Since on separate PNRs needing 2 doesn't come into play. Each of you just need 1 to open.

If on one PNR then you would need 2 to open at one time.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since on separate PNRs needing 2 doesn't come into play. Each of you just need 1 to open.

If on one PNR then you would need 2 to open at one time.
Got it. Does this still applies even though Delta has "linked" these two reservations (enough though on different PRN)? My understanding is that doing so is beneficial should our flight plans change, we would be moved together. Linking them won't inhibit one getting upgraded first while the other one is still in EC?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.