Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Can anyone confirm yet that the RUCs are clearing even without the 'phantom'/2nd seat map?

I think my RUCs are coded right, but still just see 'Upgrade Status:Upgraded Waitlisted' on the flights.

(Asking because 1) I care and 2) GUC about a month ago showed 2 seat maps.

Thx
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Looks like they are going by the book now with regards to the expiration date. I had two RUCs that cleared last year, but the flight was cancelled and I was rebooked on a nonstop TATL flight. Tried to use the same two RUCs to confirm two flights that had availability, but two weeks after the expiration date, and was unable to use them. HUCA, supervisor didn't work.

Not sure if this will be my choice benefit for next year.
I'm shocked that they cancelled and wouldn't auto rebook you in J with a cleared RUC on your prior booking - however they had to make it work.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I'm shocked that they cancelled and wouldn't auto rebook you in J with a cleared RUC on your prior booking - however they had to make it work.
If it was RUCs used, then it was F domestic and Y TATL. They aren't going to upgrade a nonstop TATL flight just because there were RUCs cleared on a previous itinerary.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Can anyone confirm yet that the RUCs are clearing even without the 'phantom'/2nd seat map?

I think my RUCs are coded right, but still just see 'Upgrade Status:Upgraded Waitlisted' on the flights.

Thx
It is possible for certs to clear, if properly coded, even if you don't have a phantom map. The problem is, it could also be improperly coded, and there's no way to tell externally
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by sethb
If the flight is still 9 days out (or even 2), they can't SDC yet.
That is the point -- two days out lots of seats. By the time I check in (at H-24), number of seats reduced (people on earlier flight than mine could already have SDC'd) and they disappear steadily thereafter and by flight time have largely disappeared totally.

This pattern has happened consistently enough I just don't believe it is lots of last minute FC purchases.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
If it was RUCs used, then it was F domestic and Y TATL. They aren't going to upgrade a nonstop TATL flight just because there were RUCs cleared on a previous itinerary.
This. I was flying SDQ-JFK-CDG and SDQ-JFK got cancelled, so I was rebooked in SDQ-CDG nonstop on AF.

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Has anyone tried using RUCs on the flights that will become eligible on 1 April, namely MSP/ATL-HNL? I can't tell from the announcement whether 1 April is the first day they can be applied or the first flight date for which they're eligible. I haven't selected my 2017 PM choice yet, and I'm looking at a Fall 2018 trip to Hawaii. If I could confirm now using RUCs, I'd consider going ahead and booking rather than waiting until the end of Jan to select my Choice Benefit. I have NOT called Delta yet to ask because, frankly, I don't trust the CSRs to know, and I imagine if I called 5 times I'd get 5 different answers.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by TommyD2

Thx
Personal experience from this week: called and asked for space for 2. Agent found space for 1. Cleared 1 of us, waitlisted the other. (I was waitlisted).

Called back to check space. An agent said prior agent coded wrong; she walked me through all the notes required and said the previous agent used date of request instead of date of flight in one of her notes in the remarks, messing things up. She fixed it. I could not see a second seatmap, but I did see Upgrade Waitlisted on the segment.

Next morning I called just to check space again (did not login to see what happened to the segment online). Agent said I had cleared overnight and she cleared me on remaining segments and queued me for reticketing. The agent that corrected the waitlist request contacted Global Ticketing Support to "clean it up."
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Agent said I had cleared overnight and she cleared me on remaining segments and queued me for reticketing
Lately it seems like automated emails saying a regional or global upgrade certificate has cleared have been slow to nonexistent. Many report only finding out their certificate cleared by calling into a telephone agent.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Lately it seems like automated emails saying a regional or global upgrade certificate has cleared have been slow to nonexistent. Many report only finding out their certificate cleared by calling into a telephone agent.
I didn't receive any emails. On Sunday, 2 seats were available. Then, phone agent went to book, claimed she refreshed, and the inventory went to zero. Seat map still showed all 26J empty.

2 days later, 1 seat opened up. Figured better to grab it then waitlist 2 of us. When I called to split and clear 1, waitlist another, the phone agent had a funny tone about suggesting I call back in a few hours to see if I clear. It seemed she was suggesting it would clear shortly, but I don't know how/why she said that.

I fell asleep at my hotel shortly after the call that night. After breakfast the next morning, I made a quick call just to see (the app still showed me in my main cabin seat, and as I said I did not check the website to see if the segment completely disappeared, as it has in the past when I've cleared a waitlisted RUC) and agent said I had cleared. Zero notification. I don't know what to trust - I just trust it when I finally see my segment(s) in OY, and subsequently reticketed.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I have 2 RUCs expiring end of January. My next flight would be February. If there's space on the flight, is it possible to use these RUCs to have an upgrade confirmed? Seeing if anyone has had experience with getting an RUC applied on a flight post its expiration date.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I have 2 RUCs expiring end of January. My next flight would be February. If there's space on the flight, is it possible to use these RUCs to have an upgrade confirmed? Seeing if anyone has had experience with getting an RUC applied on a flight post its expiration date.
If it can clear immediately, you should be able to use it.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
It worked out for me. Had to call a few times
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
With waitlisting becoming the new norm... can you waitlist for multiple flights on the same RUC? They aren't actually used until it's re ticketed. For example:
I have a MSP-LAS waitlisted since August for a March flight. When I waitlisted, zero seats sold according to Diamond Desk. If these sit for 6 months in a "waitlist", can I try to apply them to another flight before that? Having them sit in limbo for 6 months isn't worth much to me. That's why I had some expire on me in Dec.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've asked a few times and received a few different answers: one is that inventory is not being released until April 1st, the other that inventory could theoretically be available now for flights after 4/1 but none is. I checked a half dozen dates in the fall with no availability.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Has anyone tried using RUCs on the flights that will become eligible on 1 April, namely MSP/ATL-HNL? I can't tell from the announcement whether 1 April is the first day they can be applied or the first flight date for which they're eligible. I haven't selected my 2017 PM choice yet, and I'm looking at a Fall 2018 trip to Hawaii. If I could confirm now using RUCs, I'd consider going ahead and booking rather than waiting until the end of Jan to select my Choice Benefit. I have NOT called Delta yet to ask because, frankly, I don't trust the CSRs to know, and I imagine if I called 5 times I'd get 5 different answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.