Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pvn
Just called the diamond desk to check RY availability, the voice robot guy said the usual "thanks for for calling the delta, klm and air france yada yada..." and then, before it even said the usual "Welcome back, pvn" it dumped me straight to the "on a scale of 1 to 5" survey.
What rating did you give them?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:52 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Weather waiver data point -- RY does carry over:

Flying SFO-MSP-MSN this weekend, I applied a RUC to the SFO-MSP segment. (SFO-MSP is ~ 3.5 hours, MSP-MSN is 30 minutes. This SFO-MSP flight is competitive for upgrades and I had a lower-ish fare.) At the DM window, MSP-MSN cleared to RU -- sometimes Delta flies a 739 on this route at an odd hour, and there are often 15+ seats available at the window. Two days before the flight, the RUC cleared and SFO-MSP was changed to RY. Then, a travel waiver was issued for the impending MSP snowstorm. I called the DM line at T-36 and asked for SFO-DTW-MSN instead due to the waiver. The same RUC carried over to SFO-DTW (even though there was not RY availability, it was essentially treated as paid first class, and I didn't even have to HUCA). For DTW-MSN the RU did not carry over (as expected), but the DM line cleared me to C+ (SU) right away. I also asked for that same RUC to be applied to DTW-MSN, and I'm sitting at #1 on that list at the moment.

I wish there was a way for them to reissue the RU into RY so it more easily carries over for IRROPS or SDC...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by kpbadger
I wish there was a way for them to reissue the RU into RY so it more easily carries over for IRROPS or SDC...
well, sure, who wouldn't want that? The quesiton, though, is why that would be a good policy from any viewpoint other than "what would benefit me personally?"

FWIW (purely anecdotally) I have found MSP to be by far the easiest route for RUCs in and out of SFO. I've used RUCS into and out of SFO probably 10 times in the last few years and it's always been through MSP, I've never found availability through DTW or ATL. LAX-SFO is a pretty easy RY upgrade but MEM-LAX is not, I have cleared that one time.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:08 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by pvn
The quesiton, though, is why that would be a good policy from any viewpoint other than "what would benefit me personally?"
Sure, this would benefit me personally. One of the reasons we're on Flyertalk is to discover things that might benefit us personally. :-)

In this case, it would seem to benefit anyone using a RUC, which is by definition anyone who is (or recently was) either a platinum or diamond. It would make RUCs incrementally more valuable.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:53 am
pvn
Suspended

I am not even sure what you're trying to advocate for, honestly. Are you saying that any segment that clears into RU should autoclear into RY if there is any other RY segment on the itinerary?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:02 am
pvn
Suspended

It would definitely make RUCs more valuable but it would be a devaluation for paid F as they'd have to compete with more people for the same seats in IRROPs.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kpbadger
Weather waiver data point -- RY does carry over:

Flying SFO-MSP-MSN this weekend, I applied a RUC to the SFO-MSP segment. (SFO-MSP is ~ 3.5 hours, MSP-MSN is 30 minutes. This SFO-MSP flight is competitive for upgrades and I had a lower-ish fare.) At the DM window, MSP-MSN cleared to RU -- sometimes Delta flies a 739 on this route at an odd hour, and there are often 15+ seats available at the window. Two days before the flight, the RUC cleared and SFO-MSP was changed to RY. Then, a travel waiver was issued for the impending MSP snowstorm. I called the DM line at T-36 and asked for SFO-DTW-MSN instead due to the waiver. The same RUC carried over to SFO-DTW (even though there was not RY availability, it was essentially treated as paid first class, and I didn't even have to HUCA). For DTW-MSN the RU did not carry over (as expected), but the DM line cleared me to C+ (SU) right away. I also asked for that same RUC to be applied to DTW-MSN, and I'm sitting at #1 on that list at the moment.

AFAIK DL policy has been this at least for couple years Once cleared into F either via upgrade (miles or cert) or Medallion freebie if there is IRROPS or weather waiver that you get rebooked into F on the new flights. The online IRROPS rebooking tool will keep you in F on new flights even if had only been upgraded due to Medallion status. True even if there's no RU on the new flight.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK DL policy has been this at least for couple years Once cleared into F either via upgrade (miles or cert) or Medallion freebie if there is IRROPS or weather waiver that you get rebooked into F on the new flights. The online IRROPS rebooking tool will keep you in F on new flights even if had only been upgraded due to Medallion status. True even if there's no RU on the new flight.
A couple years ago I cleared at the window on ATL-LGA. The flight was cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked automatically on a new flight a few hours later. I was booked in Y, and specifically in the Y fare class (original fare class was X or V). Fortunately there was 1 seat in F and I cleared at the gate from first position. Perhaps if you make a voluntary change using the rebooking tool (due to a delay), that will keep you in F?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
A couple years ago I cleared at the window on ATL-LGA. The flight was cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked automatically on a new flight a few hours later. I was booked in Y, and specifically in the Y fare class (original fare class was X or V). Fortunately there was 1 seat in F and I cleared at the gate from first position. Perhaps if you make a voluntary change using the rebooking tool (due to a delay), that will keep you in F?
I can only speak for the last two years. At that point DL issued policy that you got to keep F even if new flight didn't have the correct RU inventory. I always do it online if possible. A lot of phone agents insist on you needing RU just like if it was a SDC instead of IRROPS. Of course the next flight might have zero F seats left. In that case its a matter of wait or take Y.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If that's the policy, it certainly has not been enforced in the last two years of my experience.

Maybe four or five years ago the opposite was true - sometimes if your medallion UG had no cleared and you experienced IRROPS, the app would allow you to rebook directly into FC on a new flight. But since then, I have always been rebooked into Y (and my original booking class) during IRROPS, if my original purchased ticket was in coach and I was only in FC due to medallion UG. This is via phone, app, and online.

IME, there is coding to push IRROPS pax up the UG list, but I have still had to wait until the gate in most cases where on a few occasions I still miss getting the UG on new flights.

OTOH, there are also instances where I'm in paid FC and want to take another flight in Y just to get to my destination during IRROPS. This seems to always be a PITA with agents asking me umpteen times whether I'm sure I want to downgrade, and about half the time I have to bother the GA again when I get to the new flight because the first agent didn't put me back on the UG list. Good thing about those situations is you get placed right at the top of the UG list and especially if it's WX there's a good chance of a no show.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I can only speak for the last two years. At that point DL issued policy that you got to keep F even if new flight didn't have the correct RU inventory. I always do it online if possible. A lot of phone agents insist on you needing RU just like if it was a SDC instead of IRROPS. Of course the next flight might have zero F seats left. In that case its a matter of wait or take Y.
If I have a cleared RUC and SDC, only F availability is required. If the agent says you need RU, they're wrong and you should escalate (or HUCA).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sethb
If I have a cleared RUC and SDC, only F availability is required. If the agent says you need RU, they're wrong and you should escalate (or HUCA).
This is correct for using a RUC or miles but the post you were quoting was talking about complimentary UG's I have been told that complimentary UG's do not carry over in IRROPS and require RU/OU space to available to be rebooked in F otherwise you go back to original ticketed cabin (or C+ if SU space is available). If using a RUC, you only need F availability and not RY/OY.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is correct for using a RUC or miles but the post you were quoting was talking about complimentary UG's I have been told that complimentary UG's do not carry over in IRROPS and require RU/OU space to available to be rebooked in F otherwise you go back to original ticketed cabin (or C+ if SU space is available). If using a RUC, you only need F availability and not RY/OY.
At one point it was even on the website and I know was discussed on here at some point in the past . Wish I remembered when in order to look for discussions about it. Basically it had to be the fault of a late/cancelled flight to keep the Medallion upgrade on new flight.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
well, sure, who wouldn't want that? The quesiton, though, is why that would be a good policy from any viewpoint other than "what would benefit me personally?"

FWIW (purely anecdotally) I have found MSP to be by far the easiest route for RUCs in and out of SFO. I've used RUCS into and out of SFO probably 10 times in the last few years and it's always been through MSP, I've never found availability through DTW or ATL. LAX-SFO is a pretty easy RY upgrade but MEM-LAX is not, I have cleared that one time.
My purely anecdotal experience matches yours for different west coast cities to/from MSP. I’ve had good success clearing SEA-MSP-XXX for RUCs while finding advance inventory via DTW or ATL is nearly impossible. I also was able to clear an RUC for MSP-LAX on a 767-400 at booking a few weeks in advance back in late 2016 (though it was a Saturday and the flight had several empty seats up front so it turned out to be a waste of an RUC).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Newbie to Platinum.... Can you use a regional upgrade certificate on an award flight ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.