Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hi

I am flying LAX-HNL on 5-5-17. Booked 4 months out and applied RUC. 26 seats were available when I booked but no upgrade. Months went by and no seats filled up. Comfort Plus WIDE open until last week it became about half full.

No there are only 5 seats left and a few Comfort Plus seats opened up. I am Platinum on a rather low fare (322 one way). I thought this would be an easy upgrade. I ma guessing if I cannot make this one, these things will be literally impossible to use on any flight longer than a few hours. Any ideas why this wouldn't clear?
Delta is probably selling those seats for peanuts to once a year flyers. DL would rather make a little extra profit than allow elites to use a published benefit. Sad but true.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hi

I am flying LAX-HNL on 5-5-17. Booked 4 months out and applied RUC. 26 seats were available when I booked but no upgrade. Months went by and no seats filled up. Comfort Plus WIDE open until last week it became about half full.

No there are only 5 seats left and a few Comfort Plus seats opened up. I am Platinum on a rather low fare (322 one way). I thought this would be an easy upgrade. I ma guessing if I cannot make this one, these things will be literally impossible to use on any flight longer than a few hours. Any ideas why this wouldn't clear?
Now it's May 6. Hoping you got the upgrade, especially if you started in MCO. Are you DM or PM?
Old May 13, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
When a flight appears to be a tough upgrade, is there any pro or con to applying a cert in advance and waitlisting vs. applying the cert at checkin time after you've seen where you are on the upgrade list?
Old May 13, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Saidoh
When a flight appears to be a tough upgrade, is there any pro or con to applying a cert in advance and waitlisting vs. applying the cert at checkin time after you've seen where you are on the upgrade list?
If it comes down to time of request, you would win if you apply before check-in (assuming others are waiting until after that to apply).

Once you check-in, if your upgrade odds w/o an RUC look good, you can have it removed.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
My company is now making us book flights through Egencia (which is basically Expedia from what I can tell). Any issues applying RUCs to tickets booked through corporate OTAs I should watch out for?
Old May 14, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by WWads
If it comes down to time of request, you would win if you apply before check-in (assuming others are waiting until after that to apply).

Once you check-in, if your upgrade odds w/o an RUC look good, you can have it removed.
How do you know where you'll be on the list without the RUC if you've had it applied before you check in?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:30 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by gooselee
My company is now making us book flights through Egencia (which is basically Expedia from what I can tell). Any issues applying RUCs to tickets booked through corporate OTAs I should watch out for?
Sorry to hear that - I'm no egencia fan to be sure as I am forced to use it for airlines and hotels (hotels are much worse than airlines there as it's no points whatsoever).

The good news is that you can apply RUCs, get upgrades to C+ and F, buy FCM, and SDC on the egencia tickets. Egencia will report the "upgrade" to you and your employer via email as it monitors your flights. I now have those emails routed to a black hole.

One situation I got in once was a SDC where egencia got all freaked out because they couldn't manage the ticket anymore and I got a lecture from them about only dealing with egencia and not delta. That advice went into the aforementioned black hole. :-)

As egencia is a less functional front end than even delta.dumb, just manage everything via delta. Even though I have egencia set up to know I'm eligible for preferred seats, that still doesn't work, so I just let it assign me any old seat in the back and then go to delta to do what I really want.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kpbadger
Sorry to hear that - I'm no egencia fan to be sure as I am forced to use it for airlines and hotels (hotels are much worse than airlines there as it's no points whatsoever).

The good news is that you can apply RUCs, get upgrades to C+ and F, buy FCM, and SDC on the egencia tickets. Egencia will report the "upgrade" to you and your employer via email as it monitors your flights. I now have those emails routed to a black hole.

One situation I got in once was a SDC where egencia got all freaked out because they couldn't manage the ticket anymore and I got a lecture from them about only dealing with egencia and not delta. That advice went into the aforementioned black hole. :-)

As egencia is a less functional front end than even delta.dumb, just manage everything via delta. Even though I have egencia set up to know I'm eligible for preferred seats, that still doesn't work, so I just let it assign me any old seat in the back and then go to delta to do what I really want.
Ugh...yeah I'm not looking forward to it. Good to know you can still control everything through DL.com and, most importantly for my current situation, apply RUCs.

The advice we're receiving for booking hotels (we use lots of our clients' negotiated rates, which Egencia can't support) is absurd. But that's for another thread.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
How do you know where you'll be on the list without the RUC if you've had it applied before you check in?
You just have to use your judgement. You also might be able to call and ask the agent what the list looks like in terms of other elites.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
You just have to use your judgement. You also might be able to call and ask the agent what the list looks like in terms of other elites.
Yeah, it's not an exact science, but as a PM I'm usually in the top 1/3 of the list with a mid-level fare.

If I look at T-12 hours or something and there are only 10 people on the list for 5 open seats, I'll feel pretty good. If there are 5 seats but 30 people on the list, not so much.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Applying RUC after TATL connection.

Coming back from Europe I noticed that my JFK-SFO had plenty of seats open.
Didn't want to pay for a lenghty phone call from Overseas, I called as soon as we touched down at JFK.
First rep said RUC's can't be applied after check-in.
HUACA, second rep said no problem and put me on the wait list. At that time my JFK-SFO was about 3 hours away as scheduled.
I checked online and I saw the usual double seatmap.

After passing customs I tried to reprint my BP, hoping to get TSA Pre. Machine said it couldn't process my request at which point I also realized that my itinerary had disappeared from my online account.

Went through security with my old BP. Out of curiosity I used one of those old barcode scanners, which spit out a receipt with my C+ seat assignment followed by "Business confirmed - check in required".

The rep at the SC worked for a while, including two phone calls and eventually told me I needed to call in and ask to be activated on the wait list, which is what I thought had already happened. She says "it appears you have two reservations". However none of them appeared on my account online.

I called a third time and the rep again tells me that my request cannot be processed, because I am already checked in.
At the gate flight is delayed and I receive an email from DL, which still shows the double seat assignment for C+ and for D1. When I click that link it carries me to the D1 seatmap (showing empty seats), but doesn't let me select one. As is the case when an upgrade has been requested, but hasn't gone through yet.

GA refused to do anything. In fact, she insists that I have been upgraded and C+ is Delta's business class.
Tried to talk to the purser on board and she again says my C+ seat IS the upgrade.
Eventually, we flew out with at least 5 D1 seats empty (767-300).

Is it true that after check in RUC cannot be processed ?
Should I write DL complaining about this episode ?
TIA
Old May 14, 2017, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
1. For next time, if you can get to wifi, Skype or Google Hangouts Dialer (not the same as Google Hangouts) are good solutions. Or if you have cheap international data (e.g. Google Fi or T-Mobile), using either of those two apps is cheaper than an actual phone call.

2. I can only tell you that, on my way back from SIN-NRT-JFK-SFO MR in 2015, I tweeted what was then @ DeltaAssist from the NRT Sky Club and they were able to process an RUC upgrade for me on the JFK-SFO leg (I didn't have GUCs at the time).

Had your entire itinerary disappeared or just the last segment? If the last segment dropped off, that would suggest your RUC had cleared and the rest of the snafu is symptomatic of the ticket not being reissued.

Did they pull an RUC? I think your only real damage is if they burned an RUC but due to lack of reissue or whatever you still flew in C+. In that case you have a pretty good argument for getting your RUC re-opened (though maybe they'll throw in some pesos for your troubles too).

It's annoying both the GA and purser think C+ is an RUC upgrade but that's a separate issue (worth commenting on perhaps but maybe separately so as not to distract from the RUC issue if there is one).
Old May 14, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
1. For next time, if you can get to wifi, Skype or Google Hangouts Dialer (not the same as Google Hangouts) are good solutions. Or if you have cheap international data (e.g. Google Fi or T-Mobile), using either of those two apps is cheaper than an actual phone call.

2. I can only tell you that, on my way back from SIN-NRT-JFK-SFO MR in 2015, I tweeted what was then @ DeltaAssist from the NRT Sky Club and they were able to process an RUC upgrade for me on the JFK-SFO leg (I didn't have GUCs at the time).

Had your entire itinerary disappeared or just the last segment? If the last segment dropped off, that would suggest your RUC had cleared and the rest of the snafu is symptomatic of the ticket not being reissued.

Did they pull an RUC? I think your only real damage is if they burned an RUC but due to lack of reissue or whatever you still flew in C+. In that case you have a pretty good argument for getting your RUC re-opened (though maybe they'll throw in some pesos for your troubles too).

It's annoying both the GA and purser think C+ is an RUC upgrade but that's a separate issue (worth commenting on perhaps but maybe separately so as not to distract from the RUC issue if there is one).
Didn't know @deltaassist can process RUC's. Thanks!

The entire itinerary disappeared. Even searching by name+confirmation code returned nothing.
AFAIK, RUC was never removed from my account.
The entire business is quite annoying, having to call in and frequent errors in coding on their part. Why don't they automate it just like complimentary upgrades ?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by thesaints
Didn't know @deltaassist can process RUC's. Thanks!

The entire itinerary disappeared. Even searching by name+confirmation code returned nothing.
AFAIK, RUC was never removed from my account.
The entire business is quite annoying, having to call in and frequent errors in coding on their part. Why don't they automate it just like complimentary upgrades ?
If the RUC wasn't removed, then you don't have any real "damages" to claim -- as Bubba would say (hmm, haven't seen him around lately), you flew in the cabin you paid for.

That being said, given that the flight went out with 5 D1 seats empty, I think you have a legitimate gripe that the upgrade ought to have cleared, plus you were given bad information by the GA and purser. Others will differ but I think it's worth writing in to comment as a training issue, and to express frustration with how manual and error-prone the whole certifiacte process is. Not that it will do much good -- they probably like it this way :-/
Old May 14, 2017, 8:59 pm

Will do. Plane was also more than 3 hours late due to MX; we landed past 1am.
I tend to receive more compensation than what the most pessimist (or loyalist) friends on FT deem adequate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.