Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:45 pm

Hey everyone - Apologies if this has been asked before, I scoured through this thread but seemed to get conflicting responses.

PM heading to Vegas (JFK > LAS) in April. Have some RUCs looking to burn. Would like to upgrade myself and a buddy (skymiles member but no status) to first class. We are on separate reservations. Is this a possibility? Regardless if I clear for first class or not through complimentary upgrades, can I upgrade someone who isn't on my reservation, but on the same flight? Can I attach them to the res and then use the RUC?

From the posts I looked at it in this thread it ranged from "No" to "it's possible if you're a DM" to "yes, it's possible"
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Hey everyone - Apologies if this has been asked before, I scoured through this thread but seemed to get conflicting responses.

PM heading to Vegas (JFK > LAS) in April. Have some RUCs looking to burn. Would like to upgrade myself and a buddy (skymiles member but no status) to first class. We are on separate reservations. Is this a possibility? Regardless if I clear for first class or not through complimentary upgrades, can I upgrade someone who isn't on my reservation, but on the same flight? Can I attach them to the res and then use the RUC?

From the posts I looked at it in this thread it ranged from "No" to "it's possible if you're a DM" to "yes, it's possible"
The rules say it is not allowed. There have been reports of agents able to make exceptions though. It's worth a call. Don't lead with "can you make an exception", but just ask if you can apply the RUCs to both without mentioning the rule. If they say it can't be done under the rules, then ask if there is a possibility of an exception. If the first agent says no, could be worth a HUCA.

You can also request a complimentary upgrade for your companion if you can't find an agent who will apply the RUC, but on separate reservations your companion will be all the way at the end of the upgrade list, so unlikely to clear.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
The rules say it is not allowed. There have been reports of agents able to make exceptions though. It's worth a call. Don't lead with "can you make an exception", but just ask if you can apply the RUCs to both without mentioning the rule. If they say it can't be done under the rules, then ask if there is a possibility of an exception. If the first agent says no, could be worth a HUCA.

You can also request a complimentary upgrade for your companion if you can't find an agent who will apply the RUC, but on separate reservations your companion will be all the way at the end of the upgrade list, so unlikely to clear.
Awesome. Thanks for the response.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Hey, what is your experience with possibility/turnaround on RUC requests through @delta on Twitter? On board SAN-ATL now (RUC cleared) and wanted to apply it to the ATL-JAX leg.

Not that the world will end if I don't get the upgrade for a 45 minute flight but who doesn't like to sit in first
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Trying to make sure i understand the best approach with a RUC. I am on ATL-SEA on Sunday and as a DM I have not cleared (i am not surprised). As of this afternoon there appear to be 2 FC seats available (up from zero earlier in the week). While i expect I'll be high on the UG list for a complimentary UG, i'm on a U fare so i am expect someone will beat me at the gate.

I dont know why i just decided i really dont want to sit in Y for that long to figure this out

Given i am within the window (T-100), it seems like i should call in to apply a RUC and remove myself from the regular UR list, that would put me ahead of anyone on the regular UG list and then i would just be battling with other DMs using certs (or walk up or FCM). Am i thinking about that right?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
That's how I'd play it. A DM on a U fare seems unlikely to clear without an RUC.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jalm1
Trying to make sure i understand the best approach with a RUC. I am on ATL-SEA on Sunday and as a DM I have not cleared (i am not surprised). As of this afternoon there appear to be 2 FC seats available (up from zero earlier in the week). While i expect I'll be high on the UG list for a complimentary UG, i'm on a U fare so i am expect someone will beat me at the gate.

I dont know why i just decided i really dont want to sit in Y for that long to figure this out

Given i am within the window (T-100), it seems like i should call in to apply a RUC and remove myself from the regular UR list, that would put me ahead of anyone on the regular UG list and then i would just be battling with other DMs using certs (or walk up or FCM). Am i thinking about that right?
If you want to gamble, you could wait until T-24 (but not less than T-1) and see where you fall on the UG list, and then call, and you'll be able to see how you move on the UG list (and verify that you do in fact move, which is a good check to make sure everything was applied correctly).

Up to you ... presumably at this point it's fairly unlikely any upgrades will clear between now and boarding, so there's a low chance that you miss out on any extra benefit by having the higher position on the list now.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Spent 90 minutes on the phone trying to find an RUC-worthy itinerary from PHL to west coast RT.

Outbound was five weeks away. Return was 7 weeks away (admittedly, on Good Friday).

Told the first agent, clearly, that I was looking for itinerary which could UG'd with RUC.

After about 40 minutes of pursuing the paltry options, settled on an itinerary... only to be told by agent that he had been searching for award ticket itineraries.

Spent a few more minutes with him, during which time he offered flights... only to reverse himself and say that those flights were not available.

Requested a transfer to a supervisor.

Determined that the only flight outbound (5 weeks from then) which had an RUC seat (one seat only) was the last flight of the day (one of the flights the agent had offered and then said was not available). And, there were no RUC seats available on any flight (including the prior evening red eyes) on the return (7 weeks out).

Ended up using the RUC outbound, and grabbing an FCM option on the return. Which, not surprisingly, is what I ending up having to do on my last west coast trip.

I am so gratified that DL provides us these valuable RUCs.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
This is probably answered somewhere in this thread but i'm too lazy to read all 48 pages:

Regarding expiration - if I book a flight now for August and apply a certificate that expires in June, will it work? Or do I need to use another choice benefit to get more certs with a later expiry?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:39 pm

The rule: "Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue - no exceptions. If the expiration date falls during ticketed travel, only flights flown during the valid period are eligible for upgrade. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances." Damn

Last edited by KenfromDE; Mar 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
The rule: "Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue - no exceptions. If the expiration date falls during ticketed travel, only flights flown during the valid period are eligible for upgrade. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances." Damn
However in practice as long as the upgrade comes through and ticket is reissued before expiration it'll work.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I can't tell if my RUC was correctly applied.

The reservation shows a duplicate seat map for the segment I'm trying to upgrade, and shows Business OU as the fare class (Costa Rica), but says 'Manage Complimentary Upgrades' rather than 'Upgrade Requested'. The complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ has happened.

I asked an agent if it was applied correctly and was told yes, but I've been told that before when in fact certs were not correctly applied and I missed the upgrade.

Is this a case of HUCA?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However in practice as long as the upgrade comes through and ticket is reissued before expiration it'll work.
In this case it won't help with an upgrade at the gate (which is a likelihood)?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by flyerCO
But all could be lost with a major schedule change and the like that requires a reissue of the ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:56 pm

Picked my RUCs late as a plat, last August but am FO for a while starting out this year. 2 still in my wallet. Can I use them as FO? The customer service agent on the phone doesn't even know what they are. I miss the plat line...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.