Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
All 4 of my RUCs will expire at the end of November. I have not been able to use one this year and I have already made Platinum for next year as of a month ago. I call and apply them to most flights longer than an hour and none clear. What am I doing wrong?

I have not got upgraded once this year even by just being on the platinum upgrade list.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by estedman
All 4 of my RUCs will expire at the end of November. I have not been able to use one this year and I have already made Platinum for next year as of a month ago. I call and apply them to most flights longer than an hour and none clear. What am I doing wrong?

I have not got upgraded once this year even by just being on the platinum upgrade list.
No way to answer. You give no details needed. Ie city pairs and days of the week you normally fly.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No way to answer. You give no details needed. Ie city pairs and days of the week you normally fly.
ATL to just about anywhere in the USA and it could be any day of the week.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
ATL to just about anywhere in the USA and it could be any day of the week.
ATL to certain cities is quite easy to clear. For business heavy routes, hub to hub, or ATL-LAX or SFO, it can be difficult. But I am shocked none of yours cleared even at the gate.

Have you considered looking for alternative routings where you can clear immediately? It may not be the time you want at first, but clearing into F via RUC gives you F SDC privileges, which is a free change as Plat.

For example: BOS-ATL-BWI was cheap and RP available on both. Book, apply RUC, clear into F. Call 24 hours before, SDC into the timing you actually want to fly (which for me, usually changes up to 24 hours before anyways), and then fly BOS-JFK/DTW/MSP-BWI (or a coterminal if DM) in F confirmed. So I always look for these alternatives if my preferred routing doesn't have RP at booking.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
ATL to certain cities is quite easy to clear. For business heavy routes, hub to hub, or ATL-LAX or SFO, it can be difficult. But I am shocked none of yours cleared even at the gate.

Have you considered looking for alternative routings where you can clear immediately? It may not be the time you want at first, but clearing into F via RUC gives you F SDC privileges, which is a free change as Plat.

For example: BOS-ATL-BWI was cheap and RP available on both. Book, apply RUC, clear into F. Call 24 hours before, SDC into the timing you actually want to fly (which for me, usually changes up to 24 hours before anyways), and then fly BOS-JFK/DTW/MSP-BWI (or a coterminal if DM) in F confirmed. So I always look for these alternatives if my preferred routing doesn't have RP at booking.
Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately 95% of my flying is done through my company TA.

I see these posts about people getting upgraded all the time using RUCs and I never get mine cleared, very frustrating.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:14 am

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately 95% of my flying is done through my company TA.

I see these posts about people getting upgraded all the time using RUCs and I never get mine cleared, very frustrating.
All those people - including me, who used all 4 of my RUCs - put in effort to make sure they have the best chance of clearing.

Your corp TA may book, but you can use the tools on DL.com to research which itinerary is best and direct them to book that. This is what most of us do.

If you leave it to chance (aka book whichever routing) and then apply RUCs, your chances will be less. I am surprised they have been zero, but if you've tried applying it 4 times to a Monday morning ATL-LAX (where a DM using a RUC may not clear) I could see why none have cleared.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Maybe a problem with how the agent coded it? (although having this happen every time would be a pretty unlucky streak)

Did you appear at or near the top of the list with the RUC applied?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Frustrating experience with RUCs on JFK-SEA. Booked a month in advance, applied RUCs with 10/16 seats available on outbound and 12/16 on return. Agent misapplied it at first - didn't have the second ghost reservation with the view-only seat map show up in My Trips, so had to call back in and re-request. And then, pretty sure agent didn't turn off my complimentary upgrade, so had to call in a third time to verify that it was properly impelemented.

JFK-SEA filled up entirely three days before checkin. I was #3 on the list. No shenanigans. SEA-JFK, though, I was #1 on the list the entire time with three seats available at T-6. When I got to the airport to checkin, F cabin was full. I asked about it when entering the skyclub and the dragon told me that she had just cleared a DM who was applying an RUC at the skyclub onto that very flight - even though I'd been #1 on the list with the same upgrade certificate. How frustrating.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I've never selected the RUC's as a benefit. Seriously considering it this year, as I have both PM and DM benefits to select yet. Never considered SDC possibilities. So, for example, would the following be an option:

There is a nonstop MEM-LAX, but the time is horrible as a 6am departure. Could I book that flight, apply a RUC, get confirmed first and then SDC to better times through ATL/MSP/DTW with no problems?

I SDC all the time on FCM fares because I am usually positioning for meetings the next day, so when I arrive isn't particularly relevant.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
So, for example, would the following be an option:

There is a nonstop MEM-LAX, but the time is horrible as a 6am departure. Could I book that flight, apply a RUC, get confirmed first and then SDC to better times through ATL/MSP/DTW with no problems?
In theory, yes, as long as the RUC clears before you try to SDC. "With no problems?" Depends on the agent :-/
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
SEA-JFK, though, I was #1 on the list the entire time with three seats available at T-6. When I got to the airport to checkin, F cabin was full. I asked about it when entering the skyclub and the dragon told me that she had just cleared a DM who was applying an RUC at the skyclub onto that very flight - even though I'd been #1 on the list with the same upgrade certificate. How frustrating.
Did you ask for a Performance Leader, or for the lounge agent to correct her error?

Unless RP space was available, no one should have cleared until the gate. That is the whole purpose of having a numbered and ordered upgrade list.

Who knows if that person was above you and if they should have cleared at that time. Moreover, why weren't you cleared using the same rationale the DM was given?

I would have attempted to escalate it and secure my upgrade if I in fact would have been ahead of the other passenger at the gate. Sometimes you have to fight to clear an RUC...but you can keep it civil and calm and still accomplish clearing an RUC.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Could they have had a higher fare class? We don't know for sure the upgrade order for RUCs. Makes it impossible to say if they beat you, or you got screwed.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:18 am

I've never selected the RUC's as a benefit. Seriously considering it this year, as I have both PM and DM benefits to select yet. Never considered SDC possibilities. So, for example, would the following be an option:

I SDC all the time on FCM fares because I am usually positioning for meetings the next day, so when I arrive isn't particularly relevant.
I have had them 2 years in a row now and won't get them again. Last year I had 3 left and this year it looks like I will have 4 left.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat

This is precisely when RUC's are valuable and when I use them - If FCM fares are abnormally expensive, but Y fares are reasonable. If using RUC's, my general strategy goes something like this: Call and find out if there is pre-upgrade space on basically any itin that gets me to my destination...if there is, then use SDC to get on the flight I actually want (this is obviously assuming that there will be seats at t-24 in F on a better timed flight - a risk, of course).

If there is no upgrade inventory ahead of time, buy the coach fare on the flight you need, roll the dice with a complimentary upgrade, check in, and see where you land on the list. If it looks like you are going to miss the upgrade but want/need to sit up front, apply the RUC at +3 hrs, and jump the line. I've never missed an upgrade this way, nor wasted an RUC on a flight that possibly would have gotten me a comp upgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc
This is precisely when RUC's are valuable and when I use them - If FCM fares are abnormally expensive, but Y fares are reasonable. If using RUC's, my general strategy goes something like this: Call and find out if there is pre-upgrade space on basically any itin that gets me to my destination...if there is, then use SDC to get on the flight I actually want (this is obviously assuming that there will be seats at t-24 in F on a better timed flight - a risk, of course).

If there is no upgrade inventory ahead of time, buy the coach fare on the flight you need, roll the dice with a complimentary upgrade, check in, and see where you land on the list. If it looks like you are going to miss the upgrade but want/need to sit up front, apply the RUC at +3 hrs, and jump the line. I've never missed an upgrade this way, nor wasted an RUC on a flight that possibly would have gotten me a comp upgrade.
Maybe I'll select the Plat benefit of RUC's and experiment with them and see how it goes. I've got plenty of time to select the 2017 DM benefits if they prove useful. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.