Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
called in, agent said nope, you need "upgrade available" or else you have to waitlist

HUCA

new agent said "yeah, those guys were wrong" but in the meantime the F cabin had filled up on the 2nd leg.

I asked if she could rebook my 2nd leg into a different co-terminal and it worked out. F seats all the way now.
I met an older female Diamond in a Starwood hotel lounge in Europe over Thanksgiving, and despite her having zero idea what FT is, she knew about calling back until you get an agent that knows how to help.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pvn
I asked if she could rebook my 2nd leg into a different co-terminal and it worked out. F seats all the way now.
btw, when this happened, I got booked into P instead of RP and I got the 50% MQM bonus. Shudda gave that agent a JWD cert.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:51 am

Good morning. So i've read through all 47 pages of this thread and am still not sure what the best plan of attack is here:

I'm a new PM. About to pull the trigger on a flight from NYC (i live in Jersey) to Vegas for March Madness.

For $8 more than the non-stop from JFK I can fly JFK->LAX->LAS, which to me would be worth the extra travel time if i can enjoy Delta One. That said, I know this is a premium route and very hard for DM's to upgrade.

- Am i crazy for even thinking there's a chance an RUC would clear (Wednesday afternoon flight) JFK->LAX??
- I imagine the odds of clearing LAX->LAS are decent (even without an RUC) how can I ensure I dont waste an RUC on the LAX->LAS leg if i cant get the ug on the JFK->LAX leg.
- If the odds of an RUC are near zero for JFK->LAX i'll probably just book EWR->DTW/MSP/ATL->LAS. From experience i have about a 25% ug ratio on these flights as a GM which i expect will be higher as a PM. Would it make sense to book Y now and wait until T-72 to get a better sense of if i'll get the regular upgrade before trying the RUC? Or am i better off just using the RUC and not having to worry about an upgrade clearing.

Anything i'm missing?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by injera
Good morning. So i've read through all 47 pages of this thread and am still not sure what the best plan of attack is here:

I'm a new PM. About to pull the trigger on a flight from NYC (i live in Jersey) to Vegas for March Madness.

For $8 more than the non-stop from JFK I can fly JFK->LAX->LAS, which to me would be worth the extra travel time if i can enjoy Delta One. That said, I know this is a premium route and very hard for DM's to upgrade.

- Am i crazy for even thinking there's a chance an RUC would clear (Wednesday afternoon flight) JFK->LAX??
- I imagine the odds of clearing LAX->LAS are decent (even without an RUC) how can I ensure I dont waste an RUC on the LAX->LAS leg if i cant get the ug on the JFK->LAX leg.
- If the odds of an RUC are near zero for JFK->LAX i'll probably just book EWR->DTW/MSP/ATL->LAS. From experience i have about a 25% ug ratio on these flights as a GM which i expect will be higher as a PM. Would it make sense to book Y now and wait until T-72 to get a better sense of if i'll get the regular upgrade before trying the RUC? Or am i better off just using the RUC and not having to worry about an upgrade clearing.

Anything i'm missing?

Thanks.
I fly JFK-LAX a lot, so I would say Wed afternoon is probably about 50% - 75% chance of the RUC clearing (and it will only clear at the gate), but anything can happen. I wouldn't count on it, but the odds are in your favor. Also, you should be able to get Comfort + seats, and I've lately found the FAs servicing Comfort + on this route to be quite a bit above average.

Re: LAX-LAS, don't have them apply the RUC to that flight. Once you clear at the gate at JFK, call DL and ask them to apply it to the LAX-LAS route. Agents can do this, but some agents may not know how. Besides, you'll be on the regular upgrade list (which will likely clear), and it's a short flight anyways.

I'd add that I personally would just take the JFK-LAS nonstop, assuming getting to JFK for you isn't too much of a PITA, but in my experience, you have a better chance of upgrading JFK-LAX with a RUC than JFK-LAS.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I fly JFK-LAX a lot, so I would say Wed afternoon is probably about 50% - 75% chance of the RUC clearing (and it will only clear at the gate), but anything can happen. I wouldn't count on it, but the odds are in your favor. Also, you should be able to get Comfort + seats, and I've lately found the FAs servicing Comfort + on this route to be quite a bit above average.

Re: LAX-LAS, don't have them apply the RUC to that flight. Once you clear at the gate at JFK, call DL and ask them to apply it to the LAX-LAS route. Agents can do this, but some agents may not know how. Besides, you'll be on the regular upgrade list (which will likely clear), and it's a short flight anyways.

I'd add that I personally would just take the JFK-LAS nonstop, assuming getting to JFK for you isn't too much of a PITA, but in my experience, you have a better chance of upgrading JFK-LAX with a RUC than JFK-LAS.
Thanks for the feedback. Before I moved to NJ I cleared JFK-LAS about 75% of the time as a GM (including Thurs/Fri pm flights). EWR is now my home airport but to fly D1 on a 767 i'll gladly take the stopover. Otherwise I'll just leave from Newark. 50-75% chance seems reasonable enough, plus i guess its an extra 800MQM or so vs the nonstop
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by injera
Thanks for the feedback. Before I moved to NJ I cleared JFK-LAS about 75% of the time as a GM (including Thurs/Fri pm flights). EWR is now my home airport but to fly D1 on a 767 i'll gladly take the stopover. Otherwise I'll just leave from Newark. 50-75% chance seems reasonable enough, plus i guess its an extra 800MQM or so vs the nonstop
Plus if you connect you're less likely to have weather issues connecting in LAX than, say, DTW.

The days of easy upgrades on JFK-LAS (and PHX as well) are long gone. I think it's due to FCM.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Hey, anyone have luck in getting the DM line to do a flight change to another flight on the same day for the purpose of upgrade availability? Talking specifically about waiving the change fee, not the difference in fare.

I'm aware this is against policy, but more curious the chances of a friendly agent at the Diamond Desk.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
RUCs on multi-segment MR

Hi!

I've got an 8-flight MR coming up, and I'm contemplating using an RUC (for the first time - new PM) on a SEA-ATL redeye. I get that RUCs are applied for one-way trips only and one should apply the RUC to the longer flight first, but how does it apply to a multi-city trip? To clarify, I see 4 segments on my itinerary in the app; the 3rd being SEA-ATL-BOS-MSP. If I attempt to apply a single RUC to SEA-ATL, will it also apply for ATL-BOS AND BOS-MSP too? How do RUCs work with multi-city round trips? How do DL define a "segment" - oh so curious! Thanks for any insight!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by scongro
Hey, anyone have luck in getting the DM line to do a flight change to another flight on the same day for the purpose of upgrade availability? Talking specifically about waiving the change fee, not the difference in fare.

I'm aware this is against policy, but more curious the chances of a friendly agent at the Diamond Desk.
There's nothing special about having the RUC waitlisted. If there is some basis for a change (schedule change etc) or you can sweet talk your way into one, then yes, otherwise no. Inside of T-24h you can do a coach SDC if available, just make sure you're still waitlisted correctly afterward.

Originally Posted by TYSDoc
Hi!

I've got an 8-flight MR coming up, and I'm contemplating using an RUC (for the first time - new PM) on a SEA-ATL redeye. I get that RUCs are applied for one-way trips only and one should apply the RUC to the longer flight first, but how does it apply to a multi-city trip? To clarify, I see 4 segments on my itinerary in the app; the 3rd being SEA-ATL-BOS-MSP. If I attempt to apply a single RUC to SEA-ATL, will it also apply for ATL-BOS AND BOS-MSP too? How do RUCs work with multi-city round trips? How do DL define a "segment" - oh so curious! Thanks for any insight!
​​​​​​ The T&C say "one way travel" but FT collected wisdom says that means a single fare component, so if you have a broken fare it's only good as far as the fare break.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EP
Right. Each one way regional upgrade certificate, once you have been cleared, will apply for your point of origin to your final destination for that ticket, including stops that are part of the Delta itinerary. But for multi-city trips, each destination will require a separate RU certificate. For example: LAX-JFK; JFK-MIA; MIA-SEA; SEA-LAX would require 4 RU certs. Each certificate will need to clear the upgrade list on its own merit. Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Managed to get a RUC to work today on ATL-SNA. Was 1 of 56 for 0 but fortunately for me someone did not checkin and was upgraded at T-30. Strangely, I find this route harder than JFK-LAX where I am over 50% successful with RUCs but on strategically selected flights.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
Thanks Zorak, hereweyo. I had a bunch of "fun" reading about fare breaks lastnight too. I called the PM line, and no availability on the SEA-ATL redeye as I suspected. The agent said one RUC would get me all the way back home (4 flights) so I guess that's how the fare breaks. More study required
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TYSDoc
Thanks Zorak, hereweyo. I had a bunch of "fun" reading about fare breaks lastnight too. I called the PM line, and no availability on the SEA-ATL redeye as I suspected. The agent said one RUC would get me all the way back home (4 flights) so I guess that's how the fare breaks. More study required
Note if your fare allows a stopover (normally only higher priced fares) then the RUC will cover everything part of that fare regardless of how long apart the flights. Especially useful with a GUC on international travel.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Managed to get a RUC to work today on ATL-SNA. Was 1 of 56 for 0 but fortunately for me someone did not checkin and was upgraded at T-30. Strangely, I find this route harder than JFK-LAX where I am over 50% successful with RUCs but on strategically selected flights.
I'm the same -- much more success between LAX and JFK than between LAX and ATL. Never had a GUC/RUC fail to clear on the former (and had 100% success when we could get Medallion upgrades) but have missed 3 on the latter -- with certs.

It probably helps that I'm connecting in JFK to/from a TATL flight so the times are optimal for an O/D flyer...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I'm the same -- much more success between LAX and JFK than between LAX and ATL. Never had a GUC/RUC fail to clear on the former (and had 100% success when we could get Medallion upgrades) but have missed 3 on the latter -- with certs.

It probably helps that I'm connecting in JFK to/from a TATL flight so the times are optimal for an O/D flyer...
NYC-LAX is operated by five carriers with premium cabin offerings. Lots of choice and competition.

ATL-LAX has two carriers, and a lot more DL elites trying to get fewer premium cabin seats. Makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.