Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Call Delta now and ask if there are upgrade seats available. If there are, then you can obtain RUCs and ensure a seat in first. If there aren't, then there is no need to redeem now (well you could waitlist and that might give you an advantage).

While on the phone ask about the potential for a mileage upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Basic info above. Although no one can truly give you advice on the ATL flight since you've chosen not to say where it's to. LAX is entirely different from say SAT. Not sure why people post questions like this and refuse to disclose the routing.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I'm guessing OP doesn't care so much about the 2nd leg, as he can't sleep through the connection.

Though, if you drank a lot, then got carried off the plane, onto the Porsche, then carried into your next seat, I guess it's possible....

Seriously though, I'd look at it from another angle; you haven't gotten your RUCs, but already have 2/4 "spent" for next year. Are redeyes common for you? Is there another routing that's not as full, so you don't need to burn RUCs on a regular event? eg; SMF-SLC-ATL-xxx for this Wednesday, DL 4706/2324, SLC-ATL has only ONE seat in F showing taken. Yeah, you lose 30 minutes of possible zzz, but let's you use your RUCs for "special" occasions.

Edit: oops, it's a 3:30 layover. meh. And no better combos LAX/SEA/MSP. Oh well... WFBF?

Last edited by EditingFX; Oct 15, 2016 at 5:05 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE
RUC Question

Hi Folks!

I have searched all over the forum and the Delta site for an answer to this question without finding it- If I request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, what happens to the certificate? Do I lose it or retain it for future use? Seems like a dumb question but I can't find an answer.

Appreciate all of your knowledge. I learn a ton from everyone on here.

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The RUC is returned to your account, essentially remarked as open status, for future use.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE
Perfect, thank you for the quick reply!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Basic info above. Although no one can truly give you advice on the ATL flight since you've chosen not to say where it's to. LAX is entirely different from say SAT. Not sure why people post questions like this and refuse to disclose the routing.
The connecting flight from ATL are relatively short hops where I'm already confirmed in a decent C+ seat which I'm ok with. But if you really want to know, it's ORD and BWI.

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Seriously though, I'd look at it from another angle; you haven't gotten your RUCs, but already have 2/4 "spent" for next year. Are redeyes common for you? Is there another routing that's not as full, so you don't need to burn RUCs on a regular event?

Oh well... WFBF?
I very rarely (virtually never) take redeyes domestically as I usually need to hit the ground running in the morning and I'd prefer a good night's sleep before a long day of work. However, on the first of these 2 redeyes I had a scheduling conflict that Wednesday (since gone, which is why I might do a SDC anyway) and the 2nd is just a bit more convenient since I'll be in ORD for less than 12 hours and I didn't want to make it longer than that. I'm self-employed and very flexible with flights (not so much with days) so I usually am pretty good at picking flights with decent upgrade chances and if I really want F and I feel like my upgrade chances are slim I just buy a G A P fare and be done with it (for example a flight from FLL to SMF via ATL on a Friday).

I think I'm going to wait this out and see what happens at T-6 when upgrades are supposed to clear. If nothing happens and I can't do SDC I'll go ahead and choose the choice benefits and apply it to at least the first one.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis88; Oct 15, 2016 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I've wondered this for a while as well, and I'm sure the answer is just buried in multiple places where no one can find it. Perhaps a wiki in the main thread would be in order.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Saidoh
I've wondered this for a while as well, and I'm sure the answer is just buried in multiple places where no one can find it. Perhaps a wiki in the main thread would be in order.
You can create such a wiki.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I've started a wiki with some of the things I've learned from the various threads, with the goal that some of the more hot topics will be all in one place. Please chime in and update, expand, etc. as needed.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
It's day of travel and I'm #3 for 1 seat on the upgrade list. T - 7 hours until my first flight.

I called to apply a RUC to the flight, and noticed that my position on the upgrade list hasn't changed. So I guess the two people ahead of me could be using RUCs, but is the more likely possibility that I just need to keep calling until I get someone who does it right?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by teCh0010
So I guess the two people ahead of me could be using RUCs, but is the more likely possibility that I just need to keep calling until I get someone who does it right?
I'd call again and make sure.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'd call again and make sure.
Yeah you have to be on the ball when it comes to certs. DL's IT is hopelessly broken, and the agents are generally incompetent.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by teCh0010
It's day of travel and I'm #3 for 1 seat on the upgrade list. T - 7 hours until my first flight.

I called to apply a RUC to the flight, and noticed that my position on the upgrade list hasn't changed. So I guess the two people ahead of me could be using RUCs, but is the more likely possibility that I just need to keep calling until I get someone who does it right?
I've found that the Twitter team can look and see if it was applied correctly. May have time to message them
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I've found that the Twitter team can look and see if it was applied correctly. May have time to message them
IME the amount of ability/initiative on the Twitter team varies widely. Which, to be fair, is true of the phone agents too, but nowadays I would prefer to call the PM/DM desk for this sort of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.