Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Welcome to RUCs. IME, about half the agents know how to apply them correctly, and I rarely get one of those agents on my first attempt to apply it. It almost always takes 2 or 3 calls.
^

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah. I always call back a couple times and ask the agent to look carefully and check that the GUC is done right.
Lesson learned. I'm glad you were here to answer questions. Without that, I probably would have walked away without the RUC being applied at all.

Originally Posted by Zorak
Were you running up against the deadline to select your Choice Benefit? Otherwise, as you probably now realize :-/ it's better to defer the choice as long as possible for things like certs where the expiration clock doesn't start counting until you make the selection.
Hi. Yes, I was. This selection was actually from the prior year. I just put off making it as long as I could. The year is almost half gone and I realized that I hadn't attempted to use any of the RUC's at all. So, today was the day. I still haven't selected anything for 2016.

I'm on track to reach Diamond this year and I *really* hope there's better luck with GUC's than RUC's. Judging from my limited RUC experience, I'm not so sure
Old May 23, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Welcome to RUCs. IME, about half the agents know how to apply them correctly, and I rarely get one of those agents on my first attempt to apply it. It almost always takes 2 or 3 calls.
Unfortunately, this is true. Be sure to watch your upgrade closely and especially after you check in once you are T-24h from the flight. Using a RUC should put you at or near the top of the upgrade list and only in competition with other pax using a RUC as well. You should be ahead of all complimentary medallion upgrades.

Oh and nothing much different with the GUC except that you can use them for international. You have to watch those like a hawk as well to make sure you get upgraded, as the 'automated' system frequently doesn't upgrade you while on the advance waitlist even if inventory becomes available months out.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by rylan
Unfortunately, this is true. Be sure to watch your upgrade closely and especially after you check in once you are T-24h from the flight. Using a RUC should put you at or near the top of the upgrade list and only in competition with other pax using a RUC as well. You should be ahead of all complimentary medallion upgrades.

Oh and nothing much different with the GUC except that you can use them for international. You have to watch those like a hawk as well to make sure you get upgraded, as the 'automated' system frequently doesn't upgrade you while on the advance waitlist even if inventory becomes available months out.
Thanks for the tips. I'll check the list at 24 hours out and see where I am. I'll also be checking the reservation regularly. I really hope Delta addresses this at some point. I feel for those who don't get advice here. You have to know the secret handshake in order to use an upgrade certificate!
Old May 23, 2016, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should also check after the flight to make sure that the right number of RUCs were taken from your account, zero or one. There have been reports of GAs upgrading people after they boarded, but neglecting to tell them; in a few of these cases, RUCs were taken from the account.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Question from a RUC Rookie

So I was PM or DM for a few years but always chose to gift status as my choice benefit. After a promotion last year, my travel was cut by nearly 75%. As a result, I'm on an FO this year and likely will go to no status next year.

Knowing I'd be dropping to FO this for 2016, I chose the 4 RUC as my benefit last year, my final year as PM.

I need to go to the Bay Area this fall, and while Virgin America and United are cheaper, DL is less when I factor in that I have credit from a cancelled flight back in January during the mid-atlantic blizzard, and I need to use the credit at some point. I also figure it's a chance to use my RUC.

I spoke to an agent who helped me book on the outbound DCA-JFK-SFO on a Saturday morning for about $410 oneway, but with my voucher, is less than $100. When then going to apply the RUC, she told me that there was no upgrade space on this flight or that it didn't have a first class cabin. Obviously the latter is not the case.

Now I fully admit, this is my first time with an RUC. I didn't necesarily expect to be granted the upgrade at booking - or even at all - but I thought I at least got "waitlisted" for it, and that I'd have to check my account on a weekly basis to see if I got it.

Was the agent correct - is it possible that there simply was no way no how I'm getting the UG, or should I HUCA? She was very helpful throughout the whole process, so I'm inclined to believe her, but I figured I'd check here with the experts.

My return is SFO-MSP-IAD, and I suppose I can apply it to that (might as well, I don't have a ton of travel for the rest of the year), but I specifically chose the JFK connection on the outbound knowing it was a Saturday morning and I might have a decent shot at the nice upgrade with my RUC. Was I crazy? Any thoughts on what I can/should do different? I just booked the ticket, so i'm easily within 24 hours to cancel if someone has better advice.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Sounds like this agent didn't understand how RUC's work. Yes, you can ALWAYS waitlist. In order for an RUC upgrade to be confirmed, there must be RP or OP inventory. One strategy if your travel plans are flexible is to ask the agent to search for RP or OP inventory for the city pairs and dates you're looking for. If RP/OP are available, upgrade can be confirmed at the time of booking.

One helpful item when dealing with clueless agents is to refer to the certificate's identifier which you can see when viewing the terms and conditions in your My Delta wallet on DL.com. RUC should be Reference Code PU591. PU591 should be a keyword a clueless agent can use to look up the procedure for booking (or waitlisting) an RUC cert.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by plinko83
So I was PM or DM for a few years but always chose to gift status as my choice benefit. After a promotion last year, my travel was cut by nearly 75%. As a result, I'm on an FO this year and likely will go to no status next year.

Knowing I'd be dropping to FO this for 2016, I chose the 4 RUC as my benefit last year, my final year as PM.

I need to go to the Bay Area this fall, and while Virgin America and United are cheaper, DL is less when I factor in that I have credit from a cancelled flight back in January during the mid-atlantic blizzard, and I need to use the credit at some point. I also figure it's a chance to use my RUC.

I spoke to an agent who helped me book on the outbound DCA-JFK-SFO on a Saturday morning for about $410 oneway, but with my voucher, is less than $100. When then going to apply the RUC, she told me that there was no upgrade space on this flight or that it didn't have a first class cabin. Obviously the latter is not the case.

Now I fully admit, this is my first time with an RUC. I didn't necesarily expect to be granted the upgrade at booking - or even at all - but I thought I at least got "waitlisted" for it, and that I'd have to check my account on a weekly basis to see if I got it.

Was the agent correct - is it possible that there simply was no way no how I'm getting the UG, or should I HUCA? She was very helpful throughout the whole process, so I'm inclined to believe her, but I figured I'd check here with the experts.

My return is SFO-MSP-IAD, and I suppose I can apply it to that (might as well, I don't have a ton of travel for the rest of the year), but I specifically chose the JFK connection on the outbound knowing it was a Saturday morning and I might have a decent shot at the nice upgrade with my RUC. Was I crazy? Any thoughts on what I can/should do different? I just booked the ticket, so i'm easily within 24 hours to cancel if someone has better advice.
Did you look at the seat map? Are their F seats open? If so, you should be fine... There are usually seats that go unsold on this D1 route.

My JFK -> SFO flight today had 16/32 (I had two of the seats) open at time of boarding. They filled the cabin with people using certs, non-revs, and from what I heard, a few OP UPs from Y (which was full).

So, if there are seats, HUCA and make sure you get wait listed. They usually don't clear upgrades until departure on this route, so don't expect it before then.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:29 pm

It looks like we had the same experience. I was told that I could not be waitlisted by the first agent I spoke with. After checking here, a few helpful people redirected me and I called back. I'm now waitlisted.

Thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...itlisting.html
Old May 26, 2016, 7:36 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm on hold to speak to a new agent.

Map is empty 8 for 8 in First.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm on hold to speak to a new agent.

Map is empty 8 for 8 in First.
One other thing to note: you usually want them to only apply the RUC to the long haul segment, so you don't accidentally burn it on the short flight if it doesn't clear.

For a route like JFK -> SFO that usually doesn't clear at the gate, this may mean sticking it out in coach on your DCA -> JFK leg. (You can of course ask to waitlist the whole outbound, but could be risky!)
Old May 26, 2016, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I was going to say that DCA-JFK might be on a single-cabin aircraft but randomly looking at the schedule I see 717s, CR7s and CR9s so evidently not (my last few BWI<->JFK and one in June are on single-cabin CRJ/ERJ but starting in July there are CR9s... it's a short flight but still nice to have)
Old May 27, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by nichelle
Thanks for the response. It's a Saturday morning (6/11 - 9:07 AM) flight so I was hopeful that I'd get an upgrade. But when I checked the seat map, there were only 4 seats appearing open. I didn't check for any details beyond that but figured using the RUC might help so I called.

I was under the impression that I could be waitlisted. I learn something new every day so thanks again
YES, you CAN be waitlisted for an RUC upgrade. There is a convoluted procedure that the DL agent must follow in order to successfully enter an RUC waitlist request. If the agent seems uncertain, the RUC has a reference code of PU591. Ask the agent to look up the procedure to waitlist a "PU591" certificate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:49 pm

Since I know you all were waiting with baited breath to see how this turned out for me...

Or maybe you just would like a data point for your own info...

My upgrade for JFK-SFO on a Saturday morning in September using a RUC cleared today. I was waitlisted last week.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So, apologies if this has already been uncovered, but I was just checking the T&Cs on an RUC that's about to expire (couldn't remember if I had to fly before the expiration date or just request the UG by then), and came across this language buried in there (some bolding added by me):

Applicable Fare Classes: Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines or Delta Connection operated flights on published Main Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class (including corporate tickets) and upgrade into WP/Rp/OP class. Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares booked in E class, Award Tickets or Pay with Miles Tickets.

Upgrade Reservations and Ticketing: Upgradeable Main Cabin Class ticket must be purchased according to the applicable fare rules. After booking Main Cabin Class tickets eligible for upgrade, the SkyMiles member whose name appears on the certificate must contact Delta to book the upgrade reservation for the member and, if applicable, his or her travel companion. Delta representatives must book in "WP/RP/OP" class and; travel agencies must book in "R/O" class. Seats are subject to limited availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Once confirmed, boarding pass can only be issued by the operating carrier on day of departure. Tickets must be validated for travel on Delta. Travel on carriers other than Delta, when permitted, must be ticketed separately.
The addition of a "WP" upgrade class along side OP/RP is quite interesting...

(Link: https://www.delta.com/edoc/displayEd...ource=internal)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Is the below strategy still the right way to do things?

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I've been lucky enough to have RUCs clear at time of booking in all but one instance.

For segments that don't have availability and require waitlisting, is it best to apply RUCs at time of booking, remove them just before the medallion upgrade window begins if it has not cleared, then re-apply on day of departure if it looks like the RUC would make a difference on the upgrade clearing?

I'm just wondering about pulling the RUC off the reservation to allow for a medallion upgrade- would I potentially miss out on because the inventory for certs comes out of a different bucket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.