Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Currently #3 for 6 seats SLC>HNL with just under 2:30 to boarding, any idea when they start clearing the list? Would it be helpful to request the seat I want here in the SC?
Just nicely ask the GA when they plan to clear and tell them if you have a preference - they will usually honor it
Old May 9, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
My first time using a regional upgrade with Delta (I wish they were as easy to use as on United).

My outbound shows "Business (O) standby" and the return shows "First (R) upgrade requested". Why are they different and does this mean that they have been correctly applied?

When I click on the seatmaps I can see 2 seatmaps for the return flight (one in coach and one in first) but for the outbound I can only see one seatmap in coach.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Melodsal
My first time using a regional upgrade with Delta (I wish they were as easy to use as on United).

My outbound shows "Business (O) standby" and the return shows "First (R) upgrade requested". Why are they different and does this mean that they have been correctly applied?

When I click on the seatmaps I can see 2 seatmaps for the return flight (one in coach and one in first) but for the outbound I can only see one seatmap in coach.

Thanks!
Sounds like the outbound has been applied correctly. The flight is probably coded as business class, hence the O.

For the return, sounds like it hasn't been. I would call and hope that you get someone from MSP or SLC to sort it out. You shouldn't be on the complimentary upgrade list with a waitlisted cert.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by WWads
Sounds like the outbound has been applied correctly. The flight is probably coded as business class, hence the O.

For the return, sounds like it hasn't been. I would call and hope that you get someone from MSP or SLC to sort it out. You shouldn't be on the complimentary upgrade list with a waitlisted cert.
Thanks. I'll try to call in later today and see what they say.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And of course you do know that to upgrade both inbound and outbound requires 2 RUC's right.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And of course you do know that to upgrade both inbound and outbound requires 2 RUC's right.
Yeah I have quite a few to use up. This is a vacation trip with my wife (no medallion status) which is why we're using it. It is a surprising number of hoops to jump through!
Old May 12, 2016, 2:12 pm

I just called in and apparently the outbound which was previously coded as standby waitlisted was the one that was incorrectly coded.

Both the outbound and inbound flights now state "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE Upgrade Status: Upgrade Waitlisted" (I think not complimentary eligible because my wife is not a medallion member) and I can also now see the seatmap for first on both flights, even if I can't select seats.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
RUC - Waitlisting?

Last year I selected RUC's as a Platinum. I hadn't given them much thought but figured I should try and use them before they expire. I'm a first timer.

I called the Platinum line to apply one of them to a MSP - LAX flight I have coming up in just under 3 weeks. The agent first said that sure there is inventory available and would place me on hold for 2 to 3 minutes. 8 minutes later she returned to say there is no inventory available and therefore I can't use an RUC. I asked about waitlisting. She then asked her supervisor who said that I'm already waitlisted for an upgrade and the certificate cannot be applied. The best they can do is Delta C+ and I'm already there.

This feels like a newbie question but my schedule is tight today and I thought I'd ask here to see if this information is correct.

Thanks
Old May 22, 2016, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Upgrades to FC on MSP-LAX are likely to be done at the gate, depending on the time and day of the week of the flight. It's a tough upgrade--elite heavy route.

I suspect the agent meant that you are already on the list for a free elite upgrade, while is unlikely for a PM unless you're flying at an unusual time. To waitlist for a RUC upgrade, you would need to remove the request for a free elite upgrade. Note that RUCs have priority at the gate, but before then different upgrade inventory classes are required.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Thanks for the response. It's a Saturday morning (6/11 - 9:07 AM) flight so I was hopeful that I'd get an upgrade. But when I checked the seat map, there were only 4 seats appearing open. I didn't check for any details beyond that but figured using the RUC might help so I called.

I was under the impression that I could be waitlisted. I learn something new every day so thanks again
Old May 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nichelle
Thanks for the response. It's a Saturday morning (6/11 - 9:07 AM) flight so I was hopeful that I'd get an upgrade. But when I checked the seat map, there were only 4 seats appearing open. I didn't check for any details beyond that but figured using the RUC might help so I called.

I was under the impression that I could be waitlisted. I learn something new every day so thanks again
If your flight is this Saturday, in six days, the DM/PM upgrade window just passed, at 5 pm ATL time today (Sunday). Assuming that you weren't upgraded at this time (there's a chance that the agent you talked with earlier saw the inventory and thought you had a good chance), my advice would be to call again (hope to reach Chisholm) and ask to be wait listed with the RUC.

OOPs. Sorry. I just saw that the flight is on June 11th, not this Saturday.

Yes you can be wait listed to use the RUC. Call DL to do it.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:55 pm

Got it! I just called back and spoke with a very nice gentleman who said the information received was wrong. He mentioned that he loves the RUC's as they are like a "trump card". In any case, I am on the waitlist and can see that my reservation now indicates "Upgrade Waitlisted" instead of Upgrade Requested.

If I get the upgrade, great. If not, at least I gave one of the RUC's a shot.

Thanks again
Old May 22, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Welcome to RUCs. IME, about half the agents know how to apply them correctly, and I rarely get one of those agents on my first attempt to apply it. It almost always takes 2 or 3 calls.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:17 pm

Yeah. I always call back a couple times and ask the agent to look carefully and check that the GUC is done right.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nichelle
Last year I selected RUC's as a Platinum. I hadn't given them much thought but figured I should try and use them before they expire. I'm a first timer.
Were you running up against the deadline to select your Choice Benefit? Otherwise, as you probably now realize :-/ it's better to defer the choice as long as possible for things like certs where the expiration clock doesn't start counting until you make the selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.