Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No it has not been reissued. If it had when you click the recipet link it would show status OK/ARPT and would have class OY for DL flights, Z for AF/KL, O for AM, or G for VS. NX Is a coach award fare class. Thus right now you wouldn't be allowed to checkin.
If you do not mind, could you explain the OK/ARRT status?

I have a RUC that looks re-issued. Certs are cCLOSED. The class on the receipt is OY (domestic DL flight), but under status all I see is OPEN.

Do appreciate the expert knowledge in thus DL torture process. :-)

EDIT: I would guess that the status of OK/APRT means that it is OK to checkin at the AirPoRT.. I could see that this might not be set till near day of departure.

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 13, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Data point: widebody non-D1 domestic flight, agent alleged to have put RUC on separate reservation from me (two non-status pax), notation in [their] My Trips for that segment is:
NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted

This is correct. However what you're misunderstanding is this doesn't mean everything was entered correctly. You can show waitlisted even for a KLM flight, for which you will never clear as waitlists aren't a thing for KLM flights.

The issue is when it goes to process the waitlist for the DL flight, if the text-field that is used isn't typed into exactly correctly, the upgrade automation will fail and you will be skipped. There's no validation that they've typed a valid certificate number, certificate type, that they haven't entered an extra space, forgotten a / or ; , or put in an extra / or ; .
baqnav likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If you do not mind, could you explain the OK/ARRT status?

I have a RUC that looks re-issued. Certs are cCLOSED. The class on the receipt is OY (domestic DL flight), but under status all I see is OPEN.

Do appreciate the expert knowledge in thus DL torture process. :-)

EDIT: I would guess that the status of OK/APRT means that it is OK to checkin at the AirPoRT.. I could see that this might not be set till near day of departure.
OPEN is what I meaning. (OK is a reservation status, not ticket) When click receipt it should show OPEN or ARPT and OY. If it shows OY in reservation, but NX on recipet the ticket hasn't been reissued. You need it to say OY in both reservation and receipt. Since the RUC is now CLOSED, it sounds like the ticket has been reissued. (As this shouldn't happen till ticket is reissued)
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
OPEN is what I meaning. (OK is a reservation status, not ticket) When click receipt it should show OPEN or ARPT and OY. If it shows OY in reservation, but NX on recipet the ticket hasn't been reissued. You need it to say OY in both reservation and receipt. Since the RUC is now CLOSED, it sounds like the ticket has been reissued. (As this shouldn't happen till ticket is reissued)
flyerCO – – thank you For all the information. I just had a re-issue today after having put an RUC on a reservation and it finally came through with the reissue.

have you experienced or has anyone experienced lately doing same-day confirmed changes on domestic trips into first class after an RUC has been used/re-issued into domestic first class? I know there has been a lot of discussion about this but wondering if anybody has been able to succeed lately in making this same day confirmed change—OY to OY? I have done it a number of times in the past but I understand reservations agents these days aren’t aware of that benefit. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences And any tutorial as to how to get it done – – LOL
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
flyerCO – – thank you For all the information. I just had a re-issue today after having put an RUC on a reservation and it finally came through with the reissue.

have you experienced or has anyone experienced lately doing same-day confirmed changes on domestic trips into first class after an RUC has been used/re-issued into domestic first class? I know there has been a lot of discussion about this but wondering if anybody has been able to succeed lately in making this same day confirmed change—OY to OY? I have done it a number of times in the past but I understand reservations agents these days aren’t aware of that benefit. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences And any tutorial as to how to get it done – – LOL
Best bet for SDC, do it in app or on website.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Best bet for SDC, do it in app or on website.

If I do it on the app/website, does the system recognize the OY designation so that I can SDC into F if there is a F seat available?

Thanks for all your responses in many of the threads!!!
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

If I do it on the app/website, does the system recognize the OY designation so that I can SDC into F if there is a F seat available?

Yes, that's why I was suggesting it. One hang up, you'll need to be within 24hrs of new flight.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I wasn't able to do it with a RUC applied on a flight with an RUC applied last month online and had to call the singapore number since there was a three hour + wait on the diamond desk and only one seat was available upfront on the flight. It said I couldn't change the flight online so it's going to be a YMMV situation. I've had issues precovid trying to SDC on a flight with an RUC and the diamond desk had told me on more than one occiaion I could only SDC if the inventory was there which it wasn't and had to HUCA. The singapore agent knew the rules and I had it handled in a couple minutes.

Another issue with a FC ticket I've had is co-terminaling. A couple times I took advantage of a reasonable first class fare on flights I didn't care if I got the upgrade on just for the flexibility of same day confirming. No issues if it' was the same airport doing it online but had to call delta if I was using a co-terminal to do the SDC
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Another issue with a FC ticket I've had is co-terminaling. A couple times I took advantage of a reasonable first class fare on flights I didn't care if I got the upgrade on just for the flexibility of same day confirming. No issues if it' was the same airport doing it online but had to call delta if I was using a co-terminal to do the SDC
The Android app has offered me co-terminal SDC recently. I was mostly just checking to see what was being offered and didn't actually change my flight though, so dunno if the system would have processed it correctly.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zorak
The Android app has offered me co-terminal SDC recently. I was mostly just checking to see what was being offered and didn't actually change my flight though, so dunno if the system would have processed it correctly.
Have done it without issue multiple times in one day across all three bay area airports. OAK->SFO->SJC->OAK again all on one ticket with RUC. The app seems to be more reliable than website.
Zorak likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM
D1 Upgrade No Longer Showing

Applied an RUC to a Transcon JFK-LAX and it properly showed waitlisted and D1 upgrade requested (including the phantom second seatmap). But it is now only showing upgrade requested to C+. Should I be concerned?

Also, I don't ever see the "Upgrade Available" for RUC space when browsing for flights. Anyone else having this issue?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pjaorek
Applied an RUC to a Transcon JFK-LAX and it properly showed waitlisted and D1 upgrade requested (including the phantom second seatmap). But it is now only showing upgrade requested to C+. Should I be concerned?

Also, I don't ever see the "Upgrade Available" for RUC space when browsing for flights. Anyone else having this issue?
I would call in. Something happened. You may have even cleared. These things are a nightmare.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
I would call in. Something happened. You may have even cleared. These things are a nightmare.
Thanks. Suspected such.

On a side note, I know JFK-LAX is their most profitable Domestic, but NO RUC space booking 3 months out on an EMPTY 764 D1 cabin is CRAZY.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
It's really unacceptable that they now:

1) reveal availability
2) don't let the customer just clear or waitlist

Every excuse that will follow this rant is wrong.

Thanks for coming to my ED talk.
hi55us likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Strategy for Family UGs

Going to be traveling with my wife and kid. Wondering if this strategy will work:

1. Book PNR with three passengers
2. Use RUC for my wife
3. Split wife off from PNR (need to be on same PNR to use RUC in #2) leaving me a child
4. Wait for EUA UG with kid and I

Thoughts? Willing to take the risk on not getting UG so as to minimize RUC usage and maximize benefit from auto elite upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.